User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It's cheap and scales easily... (The same goes with gasoline and cars, actually)
    We have other, cleaner ways to make electricity now. We are working on changing transportation, but it will take a long time (and a long-term increase in the price of oil) for non-petroleum transportation to be dominant. Wind, hydro, and nuclear are all being used in this country right now.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Need is tribal level, or less. How do you define need?

As opposed to want. The tribal can't work because there are too many of us, so we need to maintain other than tribal "services". Obviously the medical and science should also stay.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We have other, cleaner ways to make electricity now. We are working on changing transportation, but it will take a long time (and a long-term increase in the price of oil) for non-petroleum transportation to be dominant. Wind, hydro, and nuclear are all being used in this country right now.
    I, for one, am not incredibly worried. Society will do well aside from catastrophe like famine or nuclear attack (And I think the days of large-scale conventional war are over).

If gasoline were to hit $20 tomorrow in the States, it might take a few years to adjust, with power plants built and most people driving electric cars and using public transportation more. We'll survive.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I, for one, am not incredibly worried. Society will do well aside from catastrophe like famine or nuclear attack (And I think the days of large-scale conventional war are over).

If gasoline were to hit $20 tomorrow in the States, it might take a few years to adjust, with power plants built and most people driving electric cars and using public transportation more. We'll survive.
    I don't think it's a major problem for the future of American society. I just think it's stupid that we don't have more wind farms and hydroelectric dams, and no new nuclear plants in the past thirty years.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't think it's a major problem for the future of American society. I just think it's stupid that we don't have more wind farms and hydroelectric dams, and no new nuclear plants in the past thirty years.
    Yes, it is unbelievable that politicians will never do anything until the last minute.

MBTI
    ISTP

Coal is cheap... The others are not as competitive, especially the green versions (nuclear depending on scale, but I don't consider it green).

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    As opposed to want. The tribal can't work because there are too many of us, so we need to maintain other than tribal "services". Obviously the medical and science should also stay.
    Obvious...? To you, maybe, but not to me. What level of medicine do you want? And for science, do you think we should be building atom smashers? Fusion generators?

Not tribal, because we need efficiencies in farming. Ok, so we need machines. And that means machining, refining, smelting, mining... we need oil for lubes, and power. We need maintenance, electronics.

And that's just for the farm. Then we need distribution networks, trucking/rail/etc... We need refrigeration, power systems...

Keep in mind I don't disagree with you, in principle. This is about how it can be done. It's impossible to come up with a method to simply cut consumption. Everything is connected together.

Want to guess how much of the price of food is due to fuel costs...? Survival doesn't have to mean everyone, and it doesn't have to mean nice.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Want to guess how much of the price of food is due to fuel costs...? Survival doesn't have to mean everyone, and it doesn't have to mean nice.
    Can you honestly envision any significant number of Americans dying from starvation? [Rich] People help people, and if they suddenly decided not to, there would be mass violence. Mass violence.

MBTI
    ISTP

Can you honestly envision any significant number of Americans dying from starvation? [Rich] People help people, and if they suddenly decided not to, there would be mass violence. Mass violence.
    I can, actually. The US came close in the great depression, and the economy wasn't nearly as vertical.

However, that is the worst case scenario. I meant mostly that it isn't "a few years to adjust". It'd be an economic shock across the board of the highest order.

The issue is with the word "tomorrow". It takes time to adjust, hence why I would love to see progressive taxation until it is entirely phased out.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm not talking about the 30s, rougher time that was. There are benefactors out there today with enough money to feed a city for a year.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm not talking about the 30s, rougher time that was. There are benefactors out there today with enough money to feed a city for a year.
    Righty-o then!