User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    there is great wealth disparity, but even the unwealthy don't generally have it that bad.
    The rich don't have it that good either. They just have more of the not-that-bad stuff.
    That's 'cause the damned poor folk are the reliable demographic and advancement matters less than profits.
    That's 'cause they want to be one of the people who has lots of not-that-bad stuff.

Fags.
    we fukin won boys

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

That's the problem, isn't it. READ the threads in which at least myself discussed the reverse of that argument. Go bump the thread if you want Because there is no consensus among ACTUAL scientists that humans cause global warming. It's a lie.
    Man you're going to love when they reform the world economy and start implementing their carbon credit taxes on people. The day has come where we can finally be charged for the air we exhale...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And how many millions would die if we halted industry? If it wasn't for 'pollution', we wouldn't be living the cozy lives that we are today. We'd be too busy trying to survive to complain about the 'monster' we created.
    It's fun to let one's Ne run away looking at it from either angle

which is more dangerous? industry or lack thereof?

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    which is more dangerous? industry or lack thereof
    That's an easy one. How many warm bodies do you want? Industry is unnecessary for the healthy satisfied survival of 1/10 the current population, but we need it for maintenance now.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

That's an easy one. How many warm bodies do you want? Industry is unnecessary for the healthy satisfied survival of 1/10 the current population, but we need it for maintenance now.
    brilliant
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am not in favor of a "pollution tax" or "carbon tax" or whatever you would call it. I am in favor of making entities who do pollute subject to clean up their own messes and/or be sued into oblivion by the people affected by their misdeeds.
    Got it.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INXP

[QUOTE]There are plenty of indigenous tribes that don't harm one another./QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'd like to see a few examples - they were extremely rare. Most peace was transient, at best, and only isolationist tribes, by definition, weren't normally in conflict.
    Yes, it's true that the chance for peace is much higher in isolationist tribes; in the mountains, or on islands etc. Many Amazonian tribes, however, have had great success in splitting up colonies when problems arise. There's also the factor of places like the Amazonian region being so vast and relatively sparse in population, that it's very unlikely that two different colonies would have to meet.

Tribes such as the infamous Huaorani live relatively stress free lives.

The most presumed peaceful tribe that I saw (on Tribe) were the Anuta of the Solomon islands. Here's an article on them:
    BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | Harmony thrives in Pacific isolation

It is one of the world's most remote islands but has a community spirit that is almost utopian, reports Huw Cordey from Anuta in the Pacific.
    The Layap of Bhutan are a mostly Tibetan Buddhist peoples that wouldn't harm a leech on their donkey, let alone chastise their neighbor. Since the '80s, however, the Layap have had closer trade ties, so it will be interesting to see what happens to the communities. Although the ones higher up, who are most accustomed to the air pressure, have been left alone, pretty much.

Generally where there is abundance and isolation, indigenous peoples have thrived (and vice versa, unfortunately).

You can d/l a few episodes of tribe from this user:
    makuanito Profile | Veoh Video Network
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Generally where there is abundance and isolation, indigenous peoples have thrived (and vice versa, unfortunately).
    We can definitely agree with that (and thank you for the link - I'll look into it tonight!).

That's exactly why I take the stance I do, however. If the modern world has a weak spot, it is in cataclysmic change. Environmental, resources, tribal... these tendencies need to be managed better than they are.

Even in the last 500 years, these issues have dominated the world. But now, in the present (ie: ~50 years or less), if things go up in smoke, it'll be because everything is burning. I really would like to see better controls over the known igniters.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Environmental, resources, tribal... these tendencies need to be managed better than they are.
    Yet they never will be and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yet they never will be and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
    Really? Then the free market is the ideal, and the only option...?

Funny that it doesn't seem to have been the standard over the last 50,000 years. Things advance, things change, understanding changes.