User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I'm still waiting for the four-day work week they promised us was just around the corner when I was in high school. A lot of people are now working two jobs!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I wasn't isolating that one statement. Taking your whole argument into consideration, I found a contradiction. It's the art of debate, n'est-ce pas?

Anyway, today's free markets are still driven by "greed," which you think is an undesirable trait, and they're overall very successful at doing many things for many people.
    Ah, so the contradiction was that the system already does many things that I would like it to do. Yes. But the system does many things I don't want it to do. These things can be simplified by saying that they are greed based. As long as free market is about people making a living, it is based by their desire for safety. This is ok by me. At some point it changes and the entrepreneur isn't doing it anymore for his or his family's well being.

There is no contradiction. I didn't say the whole system should fall. I am thinking about ways to make it better. There is something sick about world fueled with greed.

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    Why is the current rate of cancer survival not enough?
    Why isn't forty-eight pairs of shoes enough? Medical treatment is important. Making people buy shit they don't need is not.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Why isn't forty-eight pairs of shoes enough? Medical treatment is important. Making people buy shit they don't need is not.
    No one makes people buy things they don't need, except for the government. Also, buying lots of shit is crucially important to a market economy.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Also, buying lots of shit is crucially important to a market economy.
    Yes, this is disgusting. :steam:

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes, this is disgusting. :steam:
    No, it's not disgusting at all. People like buying things, businesses like selling things, and voluntary exchange benefits them both.

MBTI
    ISTP

No one makes people buy things they don't need, except for the government. Also, buying lots of shit is crucially important to a market economy.
    Hmm... you don't think wants are/can be induced?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Hmm... you don't think wants are/can be induced?
    Induced? I assume you mean advertising, marketing, demographics, etc. No, I don't think it can be "induced" in the sense of "coerced." Getting people to want things (without employing force or fraud) is really just showing people things they want in a new, exciting way. For instance, I am getting the HTC Dream phone. My old phone still works, but I want a new, better one, and this has features that will be useful to me in my future job. Is it necessary? Of course not. Am I willing to spend a relatively large amount of a paycheck to get it? Yes, I am, and it's to the benefit of both myself and the phone maker/cell provider.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

No, it's not disgusting at all. People like buying things, businesses like selling things, and voluntary exchange benefits them both.
    And you don't find it just a tad disgusting that they pollute the air water and ground with this mutually beneficial exchange?

MBTI
    ESFJ

And you don't find it just a tad disgusting that they pollute the air water and ground with this mutually beneficial exchange?
    Countries with command economies generally have worse air and ground pollution than do mature capitalistic economies. Pollution is a trespass; a tort, as we would say in property law. Polluters should be punished for ruining other peoples' property. You'd see a lot less pollution if polluters were subject to more personal and class-action lawsuits (although the burden of proof would and should be on the plaintiffs, not the defendants).

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

What I mean is, your phone is manufactured somewhere and it makes some amount of pollution. If we all buy a new phone every time we see something new come out, there will not be many generations after us.