User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post

Okay...forget Obama. Forget McCain. Forget Biden and Palin, too.

BUFFETT FOR SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY! NOW!

I saw some posturing on both sides, and some of what they had to say was repeat moments from earlier speeches; but when people say they think the whole thing was just one big yawn, I am a little thrown. Although the US president is just a figurehead in many ways, it is still an important decision who that will be, even if it only matters on details that are less than fundamental to the basic infrastructure philosophy. Or what kind of band aids are used while we wait for the actual doctor to come ....someday in that ideal world.

I thought there might be more discussion of this here last night after the debate, but it seemed that the usual "What type is Mickey Mouse" threads were getting more action. Well, maybe people had to get to bed soon after since it was a work night.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm on vacation. I don't want to think about depressing shit too much, it ruins the buzz.

Edit: step number 2 on my way to selling tie dyed broom skirts.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am glad I saw Nick Cave instead of watching this pair of douche canoes set sail.

PS, that was to the turn of phrase. I started this campaign with a fair amount of respect for both of these candidates, and while at least one of them has squandered a majority of that goodwill, I still want to believe. Call me Mulder. Actually, don't.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm on vacation. I don't want to think about depressing shit too much, it ruins the buzz.
    Enjoy your buzz/vacation. Yours is not one of the kinds of attitudes that comes to mind when I think of people who never post on serious subjects anyway.

Maybe post in my "If" thread instead, or create a light hearted or personal dynamics thread of your own.... that will still be original, knowing you, even if it isn't responding to the debate, or politics/economics.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    This debate was actually boring as all. Or maybe it's just because I felt like crap in general last night.
    No, it really was a disappointing debate. Yes, there were a few interesting moments, but I almost screamed everytime a candidate not only failed to answer the question, but did it so they could take pot shots at the other. :steam:

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    No, it really was a disappointing debate. Yes, there were a few interesting moments, but I almost screamed everytime a candidate not only failed to answer the question, but did it so they could take pot shots at the other. :steam:
    I know. It seems like this thread could also be a vehicle to bring up ideas/opinions indicating where we think the candidates are falling short ( or exaggerating ) about issues that we consider important, versus strictly looking at what did in fact happen ( limited exchange of new info ) between the two guys.

For example, I brought up the issue of whether any US politician ( to say nothing of someone campaigning ) could afford to tell the truth about having to compromise and cut deals with people. We would cut deals just like we did with the so-called "freedom fighters" ( as McCain referred to them recently ) who originally took back much of Post 9/11 Afghanistan for the USA, from the Taliban; so that they could get back to helping tribes harvesting opium, which the Taliban was against, and which we supposedly are against also. Using the Taliban to kill or eject Al Quaeda ( which has been discussed ) would mean that the advances for Muslim women would be likely lost. Some would opine that the Taliban have no one person who speaks for all, and could we really trust them ( even if it were otherwise ) to keep their word and eject Al Quaeda ?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Honesty is equal to failure in today's political arena.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Honesty is equal to failure in today's political arena.
    I remember when Obama made fun of Hillary during the primary for criticizing him on something he actually thought they wanted an honest answer on. He admitted that he had some problems with scheduling, that his wife kept him straight on, or something like that. ( I'm reminded of job interviews where they ask you to list your weaknesses. ) He got some mileage ( understanding and chuckles ) out of this ( admittedly minor ) straight talk, with his rally audiences for a little while after that. Hillary immediately tried to leverage the admission against him.

Too bad that Obama feels constrained in doing the same during the actual fight; not that I blame him entirely for doing some of this. But do they have to push one another so far as to be ridiculously extreme about this ? "The United States is the greatest country the world has ever known for sheer goodness to those less fortunate, and in need of liberty!" etc.

I have to wonder how many things they are both lying about which
    ( A. ) they intend to deal with in a way already known even now
    ( B. ) that they fudge on because they're afraid of committing themselves to some course that might be honestly un-doable later, due to changes in conditions.
    ( C. ) they truly don't know the answers to, or even know that they don't know. Completely clueless.
    ( D. ) They have a good plan to deal with but it is not "politically correct" to describe it.

I guess it is ( C. ) that I am most concerned about, and so I'm doing my trivial but incremental part in bringing things to "word of mouth" attention. ( Yes, I'm aware that they couldn't "lie" about not knowing something they didn't know. )

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I thought that the way his arms were always bent at a 90 degree angle made it look like he was going to start doing the robot every time he stood up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    THIS IS NOT POLITICAL COMMENTARY.

I never realized how small John McCain is. This format kind of emphasized it because of camera angles and such. He looked REALLY uncomfortable, too. And his suit looked just a little too big. And his fingers looked like sausages.
    Well apparently his arms were broken in Vietnam so he can't bend them properly but that's no excuse for the little man hands he was born with.

McCain most used yap:
    1) "Pork barrel spending."
    2) "I can do this."
    3) Repeatedly mentioning dead people he once knew, e.g. Reagan and Roosevelt, or starting the sentence out with I knew so and so (who happen to be dead and his time is fast approaching).
    4) "That one", when referring to Obama who was sitting directly next to him.
    5) Referring to voters as "friends."

I watched some of it and quite frankly found it boring. I knew who I was voting for months ago when I choose between Barack and Clinton and honestly can't imagine why those who say they haven't decided yet, haven't. What are you waiting for a sign from God? This would also include my Mom who is an ISFJ and while I give her credit for at least considering Obama, she should have already chosen by now.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

kuranes: Good intentions and a nickel will get you a "Fuck You" from a homeless guy.