User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 164

  1. #11
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Thanks for bringing things back on track.

    Sure, one strategy (and not a bad one) is, that if you engage, you bring everything you have to bear on the enemy and crush it immediately, before it can bite you.

    What are the costs of that strategy in this situation? reasons it wasn't implement? (Besides stupidity -- I mean, were there reasons that path was NOT followed, reasonably?)

    Actually, if we were trying to not lose our "good cop" status, that failed miserably as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Thanks for bringing things back on track.

    Sure, one strategy (and not a bad one) is, that if you engage, you bring everything you have to bear on the enemy and crush it immediately, before it can bite you.

    What are the costs of that strategy in this situation? reasons it wasn't implement? (Besides stupidity -- I mean, were there reasons that path was NOT followed, reasonably?)

    Actually, if we were trying to not lose our "good cop" status, that failed miserably as well.
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea. People say nuclear weapons are a last resort. I don't understand why. If someone points a gun at a cop, he doesn't try diplomacy there. He shoots the motherfucker dead and explains himself later.

    The same example can be applied towards nations. If one nation is threatening you, you annihilate said nation.

    Now granted if we were at a military disadvantage, we'd take a different position. But right now, we're the only ones with the stealth fighters.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  3. #13
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Didums, I hit the site and reviewed some of the records. I note that the people listed as killed on the site were victims of kidnapping and torture, roadside bombs, and so forth, all characteristic acts of sectarian militia.

    So when you say that "...we have taken the lives of nearly 100,000 Innocent Iraqi civilians," I must object. You're using a very loose definition of "we." The US military didn't kill those people.
    I guess the question there is, would those people still be alive if we hadn't invaded?

    On another note, had we reacted internally in a different way, we may very well be in a different place economically than we are now.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #14
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea. People say nuclear weapons are a last resort. I don't understand why. If someone points a gun at a cop, he doesn't try diplomacy there. He shoots the motherfucker dead and explains himself later.

    The same example can be applied towards nations. If one nation is threatening you, you annihilate said nation.

    Now granted if we were at a military disadvantage, we'd take a different position. But right now, we're the only ones with the stealth fighters.
    Flaw here- it wasn't a nation threatening anyone, it was a terrorist organization. There's a difference
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I guess the question there is, would those people still be alive if we hadn't invaded?

    On another note, had we reacted internally in a different way, we may very well be in a different place economically than we are now.
    Yes, if we simply didn't try to land troops, nuked into oblivion, and let the radiation keep the region peaceful for another 5 decades.

    Would those people still be alive? Moot point. They don't matter. They don't contribute to human progress. They're parasites.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Flaw here- it wasn't a nation threatening anyone, it was a terrorist organization. There's a difference
    And nations that harbored and funded them willingly. And still do, in the case of Iran. WHo is also trying to get a nuclear weapon.

    Though if it does, I say we hush hush, don't try to talk--just nuke their cities, nuke their reactors, and then drop a few more nukes to make sure that nation isn't coming back.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  7. #17
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Yes, if we simply didn't try to land troops, nuked into oblivion, and let the radiation keep the region peaceful for another 5 decades.

    Would those people still be alive? Moot point. They don't matter. They don't contribute to human progress. They're parasites.
    You aren't human.

    And think- if we destroyed the middle east what would happen to our energy needs
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #18
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Things are significantly more calm over there than they were a few years back. That looks like progress to me. Is there more retaliation to come? Are things resolved in the middle-east? No, and it never will be until one of religions/sects wipes the other from the map. If nothing else, it showed nations that passive aggressiveness isn't the name of the game we're playing, or just that we make bad decisions from time to time.... However you want to see it.

  9. #19
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I guess the question there is, would those people still be alive if we hadn't invaded?
    No. The war created opportunities for criminal mayhem, it's true, but the criminals are still responsible for the mayhem.

  10. #20
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    And nations that harbored and funded them willingly. And still do, in the case of Iran. WHo is also trying to get a nuclear weapon.

    Though if it does, I say we hush hush, don't try to talk--just nuke their cities, nuke their reactors, and then drop a few more nukes to make sure that nation isn't coming back.
    And on that note, you're ignoring of "collateral damage" would make Mr. McVey quite proud.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. oes the earth have an expiration date?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
  2. Does the market have limits?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 07:40 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 09:31 PM
  4. What does the Cheetah and the human have in common?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM
  5. McCain a maverick? Not if the Mavericks have anything to say about it!
    By IlyaK1986 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO