User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Thanks for bringing things back on track.

Sure, one strategy (and not a bad one) is, that if you engage, you bring everything you have to bear on the enemy and crush it immediately, before it can bite you.

What are the costs of that strategy in this situation? reasons it wasn't implement? (Besides stupidity -- I mean, were there reasons that path was NOT followed, reasonably?)

Actually, if we were trying to not lose our "good cop" status, that failed miserably as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Thanks for bringing things back on track.

Sure, one strategy (and not a bad one) is, that if you engage, you bring everything you have to bear on the enemy and crush it immediately, before it can bite you.

What are the costs of that strategy in this situation? reasons it wasn't implement? (Besides stupidity -- I mean, were there reasons that path was NOT followed, reasonably?)

Actually, if we were trying to not lose our "good cop" status, that failed miserably as well.
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea. People say nuclear weapons are a last resort. I don't understand why. If someone points a gun at a cop, he doesn't try diplomacy there. He shoots the motherfucker dead and explains himself later.

The same example can be applied towards nations. If one nation is threatening you, you annihilate said nation.

Now granted if we were at a military disadvantage, we'd take a different position. But right now, we're the only ones with the stealth fighters.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Didums, I hit the site and reviewed some of the records. I note that the people listed as killed on the site were victims of kidnapping and torture, roadside bombs, and so forth, all characteristic acts of sectarian militia.

So when you say that "...we have taken the lives of nearly 100,000 Innocent Iraqi civilians," I must object. You're using a very loose definition of "we." The US military didn't kill those people.
    I guess the question there is, would those people still be alive if we hadn't invaded?

On another note, had we reacted internally in a different way, we may very well be in a different place economically than we are now.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I have no idea. People say nuclear weapons are a last resort. I don't understand why. If someone points a gun at a cop, he doesn't try diplomacy there. He shoots the motherfucker dead and explains himself later.

The same example can be applied towards nations. If one nation is threatening you, you annihilate said nation.

Now granted if we were at a military disadvantage, we'd take a different position. But right now, we're the only ones with the stealth fighters.
    Flaw here- it wasn't a nation threatening anyone, it was a terrorist organization. There's a difference
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I guess the question there is, would those people still be alive if we hadn't invaded?

On another note, had we reacted internally in a different way, we may very well be in a different place economically than we are now.
    Yes, if we simply didn't try to land troops, nuked into oblivion, and let the radiation keep the region peaceful for another 5 decades.

Would those people still be alive? Moot point. They don't matter. They don't contribute to human progress. They're parasites.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Flaw here- it wasn't a nation threatening anyone, it was a terrorist organization. There's a difference
    And nations that harbored and funded them willingly. And still do, in the case of Iran. WHo is also trying to get a nuclear weapon.

Though if it does, I say we hush hush, don't try to talk--just nuke their cities, nuke their reactors, and then drop a few more nukes to make sure that nation isn't coming back.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Yes, if we simply didn't try to land troops, nuked into oblivion, and let the radiation keep the region peaceful for another 5 decades.

Would those people still be alive? Moot point. They don't matter. They don't contribute to human progress. They're parasites.
    You aren't human.

And think- if we destroyed the middle east what would happen to our energy needs

MBTI
    ISTx

Things are significantly more calm over there than they were a few years back. That looks like progress to me. Is there more retaliation to come? Are things resolved in the middle-east? No, and it never will be until one of religions/sects wipes the other from the map. If nothing else, it showed nations that passive aggressiveness isn't the name of the game we're playing, or just that we make bad decisions from time to time.... However you want to see it.

Oberon

No. The war created opportunities for criminal mayhem, it's true, but the criminals are still responsible for the mayhem.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

And nations that harbored and funded them willingly. And still do, in the case of Iran. WHo is also trying to get a nuclear weapon.

Though if it does, I say we hush hush, don't try to talk--just nuke their cities, nuke their reactors, and then drop a few more nukes to make sure that nation isn't coming back.
    And on that note, you're ignoring of "collateral damage" would make Mr. McVey quite proud.