User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I mean that the wealth of the western countries comes from natural resources they didn't have. They had some and after that they started to build colonies. Maybe the most clear example is British expansion in India. Anyhow, after the colonies stopped working, the capitalism replaced it and the big companies are still making money by producing cheap products in countries that don't care about human rights or environmentalism as much as we do. You know, like Nikes made in sweat shops by child labor.

I must admit that I don't know as much as I would like about this subject, but it seems obvious that the British could not be as rich as they are if they had not benefited from the poor countries' valuable resources.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Britain lost its last colonies a while ago.

As for the unethical ramifications of sweatshops, this is a controversial issue, but I'm in favor of them, since the consequences of not having them are worse. Kids can sew shoes or soccer balls, or they can be trafficked in child prostitution rings to earn money for their families.

Take your pick. Bad, or worse.

But in terms of getting back to the topic:

American ingenuity is what has always driven our economy. So long as ingenuity continues and we don't just rely on importing our talent in engineering of all sorts, we're going to still be the leaders of the free world in technology and innovation. And that, coupled with regulations that actually WORK in the financial markets is what will keep our economy recovering in bad times, and going full steam in good times.

These wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be over sooner than later. So will this latest financial crisis. And we're still going to be around safe and sound with plenty to eat, a roof over our heads, and a job we like.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    No one's ever as gray as me on these things, lol. Yeah, America's in a tight spot, but "Going down?" Meh, I think we'll be okay. *yawn* *looks out window* Everything looks cool from here.
    Same here. "God's in his heaven and all's right with the world. . ."

There comes a time to awaken to reality. Most thinking people are at some level - financially, spiritually socially, whatever. But nobody knows what to do about it. Any way we try to deal with it, another problematic life area pops up. Bottom line will be overpopulation.

Facts are a buzzkill.

So lookin' out the window ain't all bad.

Edit: Now if everybody would just stop flocking to the Midwest. Think we should shut the floodgates here! It's gettin' dang hard to take care of everybody and Lord knows we try.

Edit again:

Sorry - I went off track. Odd thing, that!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Britain lost its last colonies a while ago.

As for the unethical ramifications of sweatshops, this is a controversial issue, but I'm in favor of them, since the consequences of not having them are worse. Kids can sew shoes or soccer balls, or they can be trafficked in child prostitution rings to earn money for their families.
    Yeah, I know, but as long as the rich buy something valuable from the poor and are not willing to give a fair price, the poor will stay poor and we are to blame for it.

American ingenuity is what has always driven our economy. So long as ingenuity continues and we don't just rely on importing our talent in engineering of all sorts, we're going to still be the leaders of the free world in technology and innovation. And that, coupled with regulations that actually WORK in the financial markets is what will keep our economy recovering in bad times, and going full steam in good times.

These wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be over sooner than later. So will this latest financial crisis. And we're still going to be around safe and sound with plenty to eat, a roof over our heads, and a job we like.
    Without the cheap materials, there isn't much use for those ingenuous engineers.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Canada is the best.
    This world is mine - in time.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah, I know, but as long as the rich buy something valuable from the poor and are not willing to give a fair price, the poor will stay poor and we are to blame for it.

Without the cheap materials, there isn't much use for those ingenuous engineers.
    Well if the rest of the world stays poor, that doesn't smack our GDP or employment rates. This whole world citizen is nonsense. The world is full of problems caused by all sorts of different people. America is not the world's maid. Capitalism works because everyone acts out of their own rational self-interest. So too should the world do so as well.

Without cheap materials? Unless I'm mistaken, America is the biggest steel producer in the world. And with our dollar sort of sick right now (it'll get better on the medicine that is ingenuity), US materials are rather cheap.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Oh, you are a greedy guy. I think that if there was more equal distribution of wealth, it would make many of the problems go away. Its a bit like if there's a lot of unemployment in a country, you'll see crime rates go up. So, unequal chances for success create illegal ways to make your living. If we think this on a "world citizen" scale, the poor countries create problems for us because of the unequal distribution of wealth among the countries.

But, I think we are heading towards a big change in the way world works. Five minutes ago they said on BBC that Lenin is laughing in his grave because the financial system is being socialized. I think there will be some sort of balancing progress in the future. The rich are getting poorer and the poor will maybe be better off without Nike and McDonalds around. World might become more equal.

But, I do wonder what will China do when it dominates...

heart on fire

Bottom line will be overpopulation.
    Overpopulation is a myth. Die Malthus, die.

MBTI
    ENTJ

China won't dominate. The top institutions for education are American, American, and American. China can't do shit without American knowledge. America is simply changing. We rose to power on the back of an industrialized nation. Now, technology (not China) has usurped the assembly lines from the masses of workers. If we start a green industrial revolution, oops, we turn the clock back 100 years and retake power like never before.

You're right. I'm greedy. And sorry, forced redistribution of wealth does not work. Russia tried it and look where that got them. China tried it and now, they're imitating the US.

As Bill Gates has said, the rest of the world would LOVE to trade their problems for ours. Our economy does well in the long run, and while we may have needed legislation changes here and there to deal with new advents in thinking and technology, our economy has always ALWAYS done well in the long run.

Furthermore, our economy is NOT based off of global cheap production, like all of the other empires were. It has always been based off of homegrown ingenuity, which is why it's looking so gloomy today--because we're starting to import all of our talent from India and China. Bad idea. So long as the American people have faith in the American system, we'll be the strongest country in the world. Furthermore, when the American people are unhappy, they vote the current politicians out of office. So if a politician wants to keep his power, he better make sure Joe Six-Pack is smiling.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Furthermore, if a policeman wanted to inspect your property for something, would you turn him away if he had good cause? I'd say "how can I help you, officer?" ESPECIALLY if somewhere on that property there was something threatening not only to you but your neighbors.
    First, I'd have to believe that there's something threatening on my property. But, as a rule, I'd have to say "got a warrant?"

I like my constitutionally guaranteed rights regarding search and seizure.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird