User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I know...and I was saying that she could never put me to sleep because she makes me want to break things. Exactly the opposite of a soporific.

But if she puts you to sleep...awesome. Then you never have to listen to her (though I wouldn't want her voice playing in the background all night while I was sleeping...subliminal messages and all).
    I think the reason I sleep so well to CNN headline is because it's on that repeating loop. I do, however, end up with weird dreams if I fall asleep to something else. I've actually had borderline nightmares when falling asleep to other prime time television.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Is it just me or is Nancy kinda hot? Maybe its the domineering personality, or the country accent :p .
    Sick bastard .
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Regarding O'Reilly, he's good at bringing items the mainstream media dosn't cover to my attention, much the same way that talk radio does. Just like the latter, however, I can seldom stand to listen to an entire episode.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Really? I think Nancy Grace is just about the most terrible thing to happen to television in history. Seriously. ... Nancy Grace honestly makes me want to throw something through the screen every time I see her.
    I'll agree with that.

I've tried to like that woman, but I'm just not enough of a saint.

Essentially we just seem to have a bunch of personalities nowadays in charge of the dissemination of information, due partly to the advance of technology and the economics involving modern media. It's colorful and engaging, perhaps, but full of self-indulgence and confusion of issues.

Meh. He's said a lot of stupid crap in his career (and everyone has),
    Um, everyone makes mistakes, but I'd wager that some people are more consistently stupid than others.

but his intentions are in the right place and he's a good source of info when it comes to the IMPORTANT issues.
    And so you've determined what issues are important? And which ones are not?

He seems consistently, from what I've seen, to make disparaging remarks about people who he either doesn't understand or agree with, and because of his position of public authority (i.e., someone with a following) can really turn public opinion and make life hell for the targets of his commentary.

His intentions are in the right place? My opinion about people's "intentions" is how they treat others... especially people they don't understand. That's where we see what people's "intentions" are. Are we inclusive or exclusive? Are we trying to understand and work together, or are we angry and trying to blame another group for the woes of our lives? "America would just be better if...<such group was not here>."

Attitude -> behavior -> expresses intention

I could use your same arguments to excuse the behavior of some people known generally to be reprehensible in our culture.

You can't gripe about how they all try to incorporate entertainment aspects because that's the only way they'll stay in business for goodness sake.
    That's rich: "It's just business -- my making public fun of you, stirring up hatred against you, blaming you for the ills of the culture. I've gotta stay on the air, you know."

Let's hope you're never part of a vilified minority.

For many, it is to INFORM people.
    Exactly.

Which demands a great responsibility not only to stand up for what one believes... but to actually understand the opposition, and to treat people with respect as part of a large public dialogue.

That's not what happens here.

People are vilified, mocked, and blamed by these self-aggrandizing nutcases. They think they're on some "holy mission" to do good, but they're too full of themselves to be aware of their own hubris. (Whatever happened with that case a year or two ago with Nancy Grace, where one of the targets she accosted on her show ended up killing herself? Grace accused her of murdering her own kid. I don't remember if any proof of that was found, so I'm curious now... but Nancy has the "bull in a china shop" thing down pat).

Look at them all -- they ALL have similar personalities. Scary, huh? It's a certain type of person who does well in this field of pseudo-journalism.

They're actually "activists" -- they're more interested in pushing a particular viewpoint and overwhelming opposition, they're NOT reporting raw news and letting people make up their minds about it. (The entertainment factor comes into it as well, because it makes them more successful and watchable.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    (I still listen to the ersatz Dr. Laura now and then just because I get a perverse delight in listening to her try to shame people well. There no accounting for what people consider entertainment.)
    Heh.

There's a stretch of I-40 between Asheville and Winston Salem, NC where I can't find a decent NPR station, and it happens that I usually leave there at about the same time every time and end up tuning into Focus on the Family with James Dobson and co. I am kind of entertained by the things he says about gender roles. I like sitting alone in my car and saying, "FUCK YOU, JAMES MOTHERFUCKER DOBSON!!!" It may not be healthy.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Heh.

There's a stretch of I-40 between Asheville and Winston Salem, NC where I can't find a decent NPR station, and it happens that I usually leave there at about the same time every time and end up tuning into Focus on the Family with James Dobson and co. I am kind of entertained by the things he says about gender roles. I like sitting alone in my car and saying, "FUCK YOU, JAMES MOTHERFUCKER DOBSON!!!" It may not be healthy.
    James Dobson? Isn't that the psychologist who writes books about spanking children? I always thought he had some rather crappy views on family, in my opinion, but I didn't know he said anything overtly egregious. I always found Pat Robertson a thousand times more entertaining in that regard (if you like to call a mixture between indignation, affronted-ness, and comic delight being entertained).

Any specific examples of some stupid shit he's said? I always like a good laugh.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'll agree with that.

Which demands a great responsibility not only to stand up for what one believes... but to actually understand the opposition, and to treat people with respect as part of a large public dialogue.

That's not what happens here.

People are vilified, mocked, and blamed by these self-aggrandizing nutcases. They think they're on some "holy mission" to do good, but they're too full of themselves to be aware of their own hubris. (Whatever happened with that case a year or two ago with Nancy Grace, where one of the targets she accosted on her show ended up killing herself? Grace accused her of murdering her own kid. I don't remember if any proof of that was found, so I'm curious now... but Nancy has the "bull in a china shop" thing down pat).

Look at them all -- they ALL have similar personalities. Scary, huh? It's a certain type of person who does well in this field of pseudo-journalism.

They're actually "activists" -- they're more interested in pushing a particular viewpoint and overwhelming opposition, they're NOT reporting raw news and letting people make up their minds about it. (The entertainment factor comes into it as well, because it makes them more successful and watchable.)

Exactly and that is the one thing that has made me intensely dislike people or call them "stupid" regardless of what their percieved intelligence is. I especially hate the fact that they have so much influence and audience. I truly don't see what the value or skill is in pushing a topic so vehemently and not trying at least on some level to view the otherside, I don't even ask for complete objectivity not even close to it really(though it would be great), but to be completely narrow sighted to the point where you dont even care about backing things up or seeing the effect from the otherside is just maddening to me.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Exactly and that is the one thing that has made me intensely dislike people or call them "stupid" regardless of what their percieved intelligence is. I especially hate the fact that they have so much influence and audience. I truly don't see what the value or skill is in pushing a topic so vehemently and not trying at least on some level to view the otherside, I don't even ask for complete objectivity not even close to it really(though it would be great), but to be completely narrow sighted to the point where you dont even care about backing things up or seeing the effect from the otherside is just maddening to me.
    Question: Does the bias of the mainstream media and the bias "journalists" make you guys equally ticked off, or do you mainly focus on people who try to express their views from the other side of the issue? And are you so sheepish that you cant look at different sources of information and discern for yourself what is right and true? Or do you believe people should (and are only able to) listen to a favored source of information and take everything they say as fact?

Folks, you can't have your cake and eat it too. In the real world, nobody is going to be perfectly objective, not yourself and certainly not any figurehead in the media. That's just a pipe dream. If you have a mind of your own, it is your own responsibility to determine what is worth listening to and taking as fact. If there are some people you don't like, then so be it. Some people are going to appeal to you, and others might turn to different sources. It all harps back to the simple fact that human intelligence and perception hinges on a SUBJECTIVE reality.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go invest in some gold and watch more of Glenn Beck .

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Question: Does the bias of the mainstream media and the bias "journalists" make you guys equally ticked off, or do you mainly focus on people who try to express their views from the other side of the issue?
    There's a difference, of course. Agreeing with O'Reilly, which isn't universal by any means, is kind of like when I happen to agree with an SJ. Totally different reasons for the same conclusion.

I don't like any one-sided preach TV because it collectively damages truth and society.

MBTI
    INTP

Thats exactly the point I am hyper critical so I can and often do discern things for myself and am comfortable with that. The problem is a lot of people can't be bothered to and their opinions are formed based on those figure heads. I think it really bothers me when I have to argue (or feel the need to) against people who derive their arguments almost literally from those figure heads. I could care less about other peoples opinions( meaning I won't be on a mission to change it) as long as I felt they have thought it out and can back up their position with some level of clarity. That doesn't happen nearly as often as I would like though.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.