User Tag List

12 Last

Default Britain most obese nation in Europe?

Or so the European Committee for Economic Co-operation said, is this just the EU calling the UK fat or do you think there is more to it?
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

MBTI
    INTJ

It's not just the EU, the Americans are also calling the UK fat:

CIA

On the bright side, Brits are the skinniest of the Anglo-Saxons.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Or so the European Committee for Economic Co-operation said, is this just the EU calling the UK fat or do you think there is more to it?
    More to it? No the UK is likely fat just like the US is a lard ass. It's not personal, don't take it that way.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

I don’t know; what did the dress say?
    Your Online Manic Pixie Dream Girl

What is a manic pixie dream girl?

It refers to "that bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures." A pretty, outgoing, whacky romantic lead whose sole purpose is to help broody male characters lighten up and enjoy their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    More to it? No the UK is likely fat just like the US is a lard ass. It's not personal, don't take it that way.
    I wouldnt but the press in the UK are liable to spin it that way, its almost like they want to join some sort of anti-EU crusade.

Though I'm interested why obesity is an issue, I think in part its to do with the public sphere being monopolised and closed off, one way or another, anti-social behaviour is a thing, there's stabbings and deaths in the news quite a bit in some of the areas where its reported to be a problem, I can imagine that people are going to spend much time out running or walking in areas like that if you know what I mean.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I used to participate on a pretty limp "free thinkers" forum where Americans would get a lot of abuse for being fat asses from Brits. I also was watching a lot of BBC at the time, and seeing all the obesity depicted in the UK I just couldn't see how they could be so eager to point that out without feeling hypocritical. The only thing I could figure is that the 'real' Brit is a London upperclassman and everybody else doesn't count.
    Likes yama, Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I wouldnt but the press in the UK are liable to spin it that way, its almost like they want to join some sort of anti-EU crusade.
    I was under the impression that it was the press in the UK that started the anti-EU crusade a long time ago. It's funny that they would blame the messenger. I am pretty sure that the data was provided by the British government, not the bureaucrats sent from Brussels to measure Brits.

Though I'm interested why obesity is an issue, I think in part its to do with the public sphere being monopolised and closed off, one way or another, anti-social behaviour is a thing, there's stabbings and deaths in the news quite a bit in some of the areas where its reported to be a problem, I can imagine that people are going to spend much time out running or walking in areas like that if you know what I mean.
    I doubt that crime is the primary factor. More level of education, opportunities for activities other than watching TV or playing video games and the eating habits. Which likely correlate with the crime levels.
    Likes deathwarmedup liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I used to participate on a pretty limp "free thinkers" forum where Americans would get a lot of abuse for being fat asses from Brits. I also was watching a lot of BBC at the time, and seeing all the obesity depicted in the UK I just couldn't see how they could be so eager to point that out without feeling hypocritical. The only thing I could figure is that the 'real' Brit is a London upperclassman and everybody else doesn't count.
    That's probably true, I think the US is more sports centric than the UK and more into athleticism generally.

brush off the lolcows asynartetic's Avatar

Pub grub?
    There is a fine line between being prejudiced against an entire demographic and disagreeing with the way the system works. -asynartetic

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Keep your pimp hand strong. -Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I have a lot of empathy for the topic, in remembering what America used to be...it's a serious problem in developed nations and the US and Mexico are routinely in competition for #1. The U.S. is the most obese nation in the world, just ahead of Mexico - MarketWatch

Basically, our human biology is not designed for this developed world. Sitting in chairs most of the day. Staying up late. Exposure to predominantly blue-spectrum light indoors, and minimum sunlight. Grocery store shelves chock full of "dead foods" and highly processed chemicals, sugars and oils the human system is not designed to consume.

It's no accident there's an epidemic, and it's something most people truly cannot help. Medical system makes it much worse in that doctors aren't trained in nutrition, the nutrition guidelines are bunk, we have more diabetes and heart disease, back, nervous systems and other forms of issues than before doctors and big pharm even began attempting to address those sorts of things. No wonder 1 in 5 American's suffer from some form of anxiety disorder, and 215 million prescriptions are written for depression each year.

Routinely I come across young people, who are struggling with health issues previously reserved for people 45 and older. If there were a draft in a national crisis tomorrow, over 74 percent of the individuals registered would NOT qualify to serve due to obesity, mental health, and criminal records. Right now the Air Force is short 2000 pilots, and the Navy is under-staffed, possibly a contributor to recent navigation incidents.

I don't know what the solution might be; "smart" life and AI is stacked against us. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. It's a sad thing to see, but people can't help it...and the system is profiting off of the status quo handsomely...so if it's going to get fixed, it's either going to take a major catastrophe, where modern lifestyles are no longer possible. The advent of transhumanism a certain segment of a handful seems to favor, or we've got to modify and support those around us in making choices more in alignment with the human design.
    Likes Abcdenfp, Gunboat Diplomat liked this post