User Tag List

Default Demography versus politics?

Does anyone think that demography will eventually trump politics in the case of China?

China is a rising power and Trump is out there talking tough at the moment about their trade agreements with the US.

I recall as long ago as ten years past that I knew people across Europe who were worried by the rise of China in world politics, only stopping stressing about it when they decided that with rising affluence the Chinese people themselves would decide upon wanting a rising standard of living, like that of the developed world in the EU and US, and therefore cease being a low wage economy and real competitor or rival.

However, given the one child policy and the change it wrought on the population, I believe leading to an imbalance in the population with too many males to female head of population, actually reaching and passing the point of replacement rate without immigration, is it all a moot point anyway?
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

The conventional thinking is that Chinese men will import wives from Vietnam, Laos, and other nearby countries.
    Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Meet Richard P. Feynman

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Does anyone think that demography will eventually trump politics in the case of China?

China is a rising power and Trump is out there talking tough at the moment about their trade agreements with the US.

I recall as long ago as ten years past that I knew people across Europe who were worried by the rise of China in world politics, only stopping stressing about it when they decided that with rising affluence the Chinese people themselves would decide upon wanting a rising standard of living, like that of the developed world in the EU and US, and therefore cease being a low wage economy and real competitor or rival.

However, given the one child policy and the change it wrought on the population, I believe leading to an imbalance in the population with too many males to female head of population, actually reaching and passing the point of replacement rate without immigration, is it all a moot point anyway?
    Did anyone notice that Trump only runs off at the mouth once he's out of China? Typical pussy move.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Did anyone notice that Trump only runs off at the mouth once he's out of China? Typical pussy move.
    Did you think he was going to try to sacrifice himself like Leonidas?
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon