User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

but relativity is only useful in solar pannels and nuclear energy. That's a lot, but not as much as the everyday applications of quantum mechanics (computers, electronics, quantum chemistry, laser, MRI... etc...). IMHO, we owe a lot more to Heisenberg and Bohr than Einstein.
    Einstein did a lot more than this. (Explanation for brownian motion, some models for crystals, photoelectric effect explanation, etc.)

The photoelectric effect is important in Quantum mechanics development, and relativity also has uses in GPS, and nuclear weapons have and a big effect on how the world went during the cold war.

(Though this does bring up an issue with most of these "important people", all accomplishments were built on something else someone did, which can be hard ot separate.)

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm a bit surprized that I'm the only one who had said Gregor Mendel though I would think that genetics would be of SOME importance to the modern world!
    I would put the moravian monk in eleventh position, if it makes you happy!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Modern biology AND agriculture come from his work!

*disclaimer- whatever is from a very agriculture heavy area at a very agriculture heavy university
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I put my vote in for daVinci for overall usefulness, but Shakespeare and Webster for crafting modern English.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    infp

Pam Anderson is from Canada... but I make more women happy with my exhibitionism than she ever did. Kidding!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    (Though this does bring up an issue with most of these "important people", all accomplishments were built on something else someone did, which can be hard ot separate.)
    We were talking about "influence", influential people...

And Einstein already was a has-been within the scientific world as soon ad the mid-twenties, while Heisenberg's influence and theoretical heirs are continually expanding, even today.

Einstein made some terrible mistakes, he opposed quantum mechanics with the last energy. Heisenberg never did one.
    At last, the nuclear energy owes a lot to Heisenberg too, since he was the man who designed the current neutron/proton model of the atom.

Again, the average modern man uses quantity of tools that are based on quantum mechanics, every piece of electronic are. In comparison, daily applications of general relativity are sorely limited.
    Believe me, the influence of electronics and computers is beyond compair, unless our mad politicians decide to wipe mankind out with nuclear bombs.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    We were talking about "influence", influential people...

And Einstein already was a has-been within the scientific world as soon ad the mid-twenties, while Heisenberg's influence and theoretical heirs are continually expending, even today.

Einstein made some terrible mistakes, he opposed quantum mechanics with the last energy. Heisenberg never did one.
    At last, the nuclear energy owes a lot to Heisenberg too, since he was the man who designed the current neutron/proton model of the atom.

Again, the average modern man use quantity of tools that use quantum mechanics properties, every piece of electronic do. In comparison, daily applications of general relativity are sorely limited.
    Believe me, the influence of electronics and computers is beyond compair, unless our mad politicians decide to wipe mankind out with nuclear bombs.
    From a scientific standpoint you may or may not be correct. I don't know enough about it to comment, but from a psychological standpoint Einstein wins hands down. An important psychological principle of influence is that of social proof. "If everyone thinks something, it must be true." A search of google for "Albert Einstein" yeilds 15.2 million hits. A search for "Werner Heisenberg" yeilds 571,000.

MBTI
    INTP

Einstein Time man of the 20th century:

TIME 100: Person of the Century - Albert Einstein

But admitedly that is 1/10th of a percent of the last millennia.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    From a scientific standpoint you may or may not be correct. I don't know enough about it to comment, but from a psychological standpoint Einstein wins hands down. An important psychological principle of influence is that of social proof. "If everyone thinks something, it must be true." A search of google for "Albert Einstein" yeilds 15.2 million hits. A search for "Werner Heisenberg" yeilds 571,000.
    If you are correct, then Pamela Anderson is far more influential than both our poor Albert and Werner put together. :rolli:

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    Einstein Time man of the 20th century:

TIME 100: Person of the Century - Albert Einstein

But admitedly that is 1/10th of a percent of the last millennia.
    It's exactly what I said: if Einstein's sooo well known, it has a lot to do with his own appearance and charisma, especially for the general public.

Your article is not about science achievements, but instead, it begins this way:

"He was the embodiment of pure intellect, the bumbling professor with the German accent, a comic cliche in a thousand films. Instantly recognizable, like Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp, Albert Einstein's shaggy-haired visage was as familiar to ordinary people as to the matrons who fluttered about him in salons from Berlin to Hollywood."

Einstein = Iconic figure
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 04-07-2008 at 07:51 AM.

7w8 SCUxI