User Tag List

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Influential person of the last 1000 years?

972 so/sp
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by RootBall View Post
    I think there are a few people smokin a little bit too much darwin in this thread.

Technologically the theory of evolution had practically no real effect on our lives today. You can believe it or deny it and it wont affect your life or the way that you approach science.

Philosophically it is probably much more influential, but was it groundbreaking or is it more of a reflection of the zeitgeist of the 1880s.
    I'll bet folks infected with antibiotic-resistant pathogens, or farmers messing with pesticide-resistant bugs would disagree.

"Nothing in Biology makes sense unless seen in the light of evolution."
    --Theodosius Dobzhansky
    Autistic INFP

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I'll bet folks infected with antibiotic-resistant pathogens, or farmers messing with pesticide-resistant bugs would disagree.

"Nothing in Biology makes sense unless seen in the light of evolution."
    --Theodosius Dobzhansky
    Ah, definition #2...I knew I'd seen that somewhere before.

Can I add a vote for a particular gardener of no fame?

You know...
    the one who grew the flowers...
    that allowed that most influential butterfly to live long enough to make its most influential flap...
    that created that most influential hurricane...
    that killed those who would have lived to be most influential?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned Array

charles manson

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    da Vinci was notable, but what influence would you say he wielded, and to what effect?
    da vinci amazes me for his ability to succeed in every facet of life.
    i find that super inspiring.

(by far, though, the coolest thing about da vinci was that he did polyphasic sleeping to have more time to work on his inventions/art)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

How about Leo Szilard ? (inventor of nuclear chain reaction...>>> atomic bomb)

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

I'd feel compelled to include Marco Polo if Columbus is on the list- he brought back a lot of cool things to Europe that they'd never heard of (like pasta) and started up the centuries of trade and colonialism between Europeans and Asia.

And also- how about Gregor Mendel? I know that Darwin and evolution have been discussed, but Mendel is considered the father of modern genetics. I'd also include James Watt, whos steam engine pretty much started the Industrial Revoluton (and no industrial revolution means no Marx, which means no "evil empire" and so on)

Nietzsche was more likely an INFJ, not INTJ.

Why is Columbus on that list? And how did Bluewing type him as ENTP?

Sure, Columbus is influential in the same way Hitler was, he committed genocide because he believed natives to be inferior, but he was not unique in that at least one European, Leif Ericson had found America beforehand, and that the Spanish monarchs were funding explorers. It was inevitable, although the massacre of the natives could have possibly been avoided.

EDIT: He also miscalculated the circumference of the earth by a large amount, even though the ancient Greeks had already made a more accurate calculation. And he was convinced his entire life that he'd found a route to China, and he had landed there.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

Gotta catch you all! Array Blackmail!'s Avatar

Well, if there ever was a topic where people would show their arrogant nationalistic/cultural/whatever biases, I guess it would be here.

Considering the top 10 people according to the History channel, why am I not surprised to see a third of English, and 100% westerners?

This list is sooooo incredibly subjective. Are the people who made it aware of that?

But the PALM of sheer arrogance goes to:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Let me type them

Charles Darwin-INTP
    Martin Luther-?
    Isaac Newton-INTP

As we can see, INTPs can indeed influence society profoundly indirectly, more so even posthumously.
    Mmmm... Here is someone who pretends to be "logical" and who dared use the portrait of Baruch Spinoza as an avatar (just to give us an Idea how far his Ego goes)... Then, I'll ask, how could he be so sure all those people were "INTPs"? Did he use a time-travel machine just to give them a test?
    And knowing that the MBTI theory is not 100% accurate, well... it's... beyond any logic, beyond any understanding... frankly perplexing.

At least, if he weren't pretending to be so deadly serious, I'll understand.
    What would you say if I typed every person I liked or considered very clever as ENTPs only??? Would someone suspect a trick?

Even more laughable! :yim_rolling_on_the_

Written works can't be a serious basis to type people, because only a tiny fragment of their true personalities lies in there.
    For instance, my family has known Jean-Paul Sartre VERY well (even in private). According to the enormous volume of anecdotes we have, I can tell you Sartre was a bon-vivant who enjoyed random parties and gatherings every weeks, who liked to be famous, seductive and popular (despite his age and strabism), who cheated Simone de Beauvoir with several young girls or students, who enjoyed to have dozens and dozens of acquaintances, and who was thrilled by crowds. And yet, people here type him as an Introvert?
    They have read "La nausee", "Les mouches", or "Les mains sales" far too much...

I've read too that our dear Gottfried Leibniz is supposed to be an INTP... Well, Leibniz is widely known to be the philosopher of blind optimism, and his correspondences show a rather jovial, chronically happy man. The pure epitome of INTP-ness, I'd say...

We could continue like that for ever...

Show me your biases, I'll tell you who you are.

For instance, let's take this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    1. Copernicus
    2. Machiavelli
    3. James Watt
    4. Eli Whitney
    5. Henry Ford
    6. Prince John (Magna Carta)
    7. Columbus
    8. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs
    9. Martin Luther
    10. political philosophers (Marx, Locke, Jefferson, Robespierre) etc.
    Well, I don't know the guy who did this list, but I can fairly predict he's american anglo/saxon.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI