User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the OP?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I lean towards the left and this is a real thing

5 17.24%
  • No, I lean towards the left and this is a fiction

3 10.34%
  • I lean towards the left I sort of agree and sort of don't (explain)

5 17.24%
  • Yes, I lean towards the right and this is a real thing

4 13.79%
  • No, I lean towards the right and this is a fiction

0 0%
  • I lean towards the right. I sort of agree and sort of don't (explain)

2 6.90%
  • I couldn't give a shit about politics

4 13.79%
  • Other (please elaborate)

6 20.69%
12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default The Boiling Echo Chamber

I came across recently and thought it would be interesting fodder for discussion. What do you think about this? Is it true? Not true? Does it resonate with you? Adding an anonymous poll.

The Law: Any community with political bias towards one side or the other will get more extreme over time.

Put simply, a forum that's heavily tilting to one side of the political spectrum will almost inevitably get more extreme over time.

Why?

Well, there's a good reason for it. Basically, the more a site grows, the more people who'll join with a certain belief system (the one held by early adopters).

However as their numbers go up, the opposition's go down, since they feel like they're not being listened to or 'ganged up on' by the opposition.

This then turns away more and more moderates, until eventually you're left with true believers that treat their views like religious dogma. It's pretty visible on Reddit Politics (which has become the 'Anti Trump circlejerk') as well as certain large gaming sites like NeoGAF.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Xann, PC Police liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It's pretty visible on Reddit Politics (which has become the 'Anti Trump circlejerk')
    As if that's a bad thing.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I bet the Anti-MBTI crowd cleared out of here long ago. Except for @Mole of course. F'ing echo chamber.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't disagree that it's a real thing as I've seen it before. With Bush and the Obama/Hillary showdown years however, the extreme ends did run out of gas much sooner than they are now. Apparently you aren't looking for left or liberal poll participation (unless it's not giving a shit) so that's all I've got
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si

The poll only gives options to the right.

Biased mods at their finest, truly.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Ni = Si > Se > Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

The MBTI Test Test Status: Phase One

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I came across recently and thought it would be interesting fodder for discussion. What do you think about this? Is it true? Not true? Does it resonate with you? Adding an anonymous poll.

The Law: Any community with political bias towards one side or the other will get more extreme over time.

Put simply, a forum that's heavily tilting to one side of the political spectrum will almost inevitably get more extreme over time.

Why?

Well, there's a good reason for it. Basically, the more a site grows, the more people who'll join with a certain belief system (the one held by early adopters).

However as their numbers go up, the opposition's go down, since they feel like they're not being listened to or 'ganged up on' by the opposition.

This then turns away more and more moderates, until eventually you're left with true believers that treat their views like religious dogma. It's pretty visible on Reddit Politics (which has become the 'Anti Trump circlejerk') as well as certain large gaming sites like NeoGAF.
    There's no option for leaning towards the left. But yes, I do think echo chambers can be a real thing, and this explains how we can get the goofier aspects of the political left.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    The poll only gives options to the right.

Biased mods at their finest, truly.
    Oh duh. Shows you my bias . Fixed

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Starry, Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si

I think the result makes the other half more extreme and vocal, until they drown out the opposing side and become the dominant side. Then when there's too many of them, the original side gets more extreme and vocal, completing the cycle.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Ni = Si > Se > Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

The MBTI Test Test Status: Phase One
    Likes yama liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Echo chambers are not inherently bad. Uniform environments are not inherently bad. Treading everything in a moral vacuum - as if lacking in absolutely diversity of thought is bad by default - is a problem. There are times where dominant thinking is correct, and should remain the majority, and entertaining outside opinions that do not enrich the environment in some way should be ignored and not tolerated.

I am, so SO sick of all of this "but all sides deserve a voice" bullshit. My tolerance for it at this point is pretty much gone. This is WHY we have trump. Because people can't get over the fact that yes, bad opinions and morals do exist and there should be no tolerance for them. It boggles my mind that people think it's genuinely impossible for someone to make correct judgements unless they sit on middle ground on everything and treat everything in a vacuum. It doesn't work.

Echo chambers become a problem when they drift away from factual basis and fail to entertain any differing viewpoint. Honestly, those sorts of environments are pretty rare. The closest thing we have to that right now are the most fervent trump supporters, and I'd hesitate to call that an echo chamber.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I think the result makes the other half more extreme and vocal, until they drown out the opposing side and become the dominant side. Then when there's too many of them, the original side gets more extreme and vocal, completing the cycle.
    Is one side worse the other or are they the same?

Tri-type 639