User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the OP?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I lean towards the left and this is a real thing

    5 17.24%
  • No, I lean towards the left and this is a fiction

    3 10.34%
  • I lean towards the left I sort of agree and sort of don't (explain)

    5 17.24%
  • Yes, I lean towards the right and this is a real thing

    4 13.79%
  • No, I lean towards the right and this is a fiction

    0 0%
  • I lean towards the right. I sort of agree and sort of don't (explain)

    2 6.90%
  • I couldn't give a shit about politics

    4 13.79%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    6 20.69%
12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 203

  1. #1
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,904

    Default The Boiling Echo Chamber

    I came across recently and thought it would be interesting fodder for discussion. What do you think about this? Is it true? Not true? Does it resonate with you? Adding an anonymous poll.

    The Law: Any community with political bias towards one side or the other will get more extreme over time.

    Put simply, a forum that's heavily tilting to one side of the political spectrum will almost inevitably get more extreme over time.

    Why?

    Well, there's a good reason for it. Basically, the more a site grows, the more people who'll join with a certain belief system (the one held by early adopters).

    However as their numbers go up, the opposition's go down, since they feel like they're not being listened to or 'ganged up on' by the opposition.

    This then turns away more and more moderates, until eventually you're left with true believers that treat their views like religious dogma. It's pretty visible on Reddit Politics (which has become the 'Anti Trump circlejerk') as well as certain large gaming sites like NeoGAF.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639
    Likes Xann, PC Police liked this post

  2. #2
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It's pretty visible on Reddit Politics (which has become the 'Anti Trump circlejerk')
    As if that's a bad thing.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  3. #3
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I bet the Anti-MBTI crowd cleared out of here long ago. Except for @Mole of course. F'ing echo chamber.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,742

    Default

    I don't disagree that it's a real thing as I've seen it before. With Bush and the Obama/Hillary showdown years however, the extreme ends did run out of gas much sooner than they are now. Apparently you aren't looking for left or liberal poll participation (unless it's not giving a shit) so that's all I've got
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  5. #5
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    The poll only gives options to the right.

    Biased mods at their finest, truly.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Ni = Si > Se > Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

    The MBTI Test Test Status: Phase One

  6. #6
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I came across recently and thought it would be interesting fodder for discussion. What do you think about this? Is it true? Not true? Does it resonate with you? Adding an anonymous poll.

    The Law: Any community with political bias towards one side or the other will get more extreme over time.

    Put simply, a forum that's heavily tilting to one side of the political spectrum will almost inevitably get more extreme over time.

    Why?

    Well, there's a good reason for it. Basically, the more a site grows, the more people who'll join with a certain belief system (the one held by early adopters).

    However as their numbers go up, the opposition's go down, since they feel like they're not being listened to or 'ganged up on' by the opposition.

    This then turns away more and more moderates, until eventually you're left with true believers that treat their views like religious dogma. It's pretty visible on Reddit Politics (which has become the 'Anti Trump circlejerk') as well as certain large gaming sites like NeoGAF.
    There's no option for leaning towards the left. But yes, I do think echo chambers can be a real thing, and this explains how we can get the goofier aspects of the political left.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  7. #7
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    The poll only gives options to the right.

    Biased mods at their finest, truly.
    Oh duh. Shows you my bias . Fixed

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639
    Likes Starry, Peter Deadpan liked this post

  8. #8
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    I think the result makes the other half more extreme and vocal, until they drown out the opposing side and become the dominant side. Then when there's too many of them, the original side gets more extreme and vocal, completing the cycle.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Ni = Si > Se > Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

    The MBTI Test Test Status: Phase One
    Likes yama liked this post

  9. #9
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,984

    Default

    Echo chambers are not inherently bad. Uniform environments are not inherently bad. Treading everything in a moral vacuum - as if lacking in absolutely diversity of thought is bad by default - is a problem. There are times where dominant thinking is correct, and should remain the majority, and entertaining outside opinions that do not enrich the environment in some way should be ignored and not tolerated.

    I am, so SO sick of all of this "but all sides deserve a voice" bullshit. My tolerance for it at this point is pretty much gone. This is WHY we have trump. Because people can't get over the fact that yes, bad opinions and morals do exist and there should be no tolerance for them. It boggles my mind that people think it's genuinely impossible for someone to make correct judgements unless they sit on middle ground on everything and treat everything in a vacuum. It doesn't work.

    Echo chambers become a problem when they drift away from factual basis and fail to entertain any differing viewpoint. Honestly, those sorts of environments are pretty rare. The closest thing we have to that right now are the most fervent trump supporters, and I'd hesitate to call that an echo chamber.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  10. #10
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I think the result makes the other half more extreme and vocal, until they drown out the opposing side and become the dominant side. Then when there's too many of them, the original side gets more extreme and vocal, completing the cycle.
    Is one side worse the other or are they the same?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. The Madmin Blog
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  3. The Chamber (game show)
    By JFrombaugh in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO