User Tag List

brush off the lolcows asynartetic's Avatar
    There is a fine line between being prejudiced against an entire demographic and disagreeing with the way the system works. -asynartetic

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Keep your pimp hand strong. -Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone bring up the term in a conversation.
    Likes LovecraftianMonstrosity liked this post

Enneagram
    7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I'm beginning to think (not just based on this, but I will explain...) that a globalized economy that libertarians call for would be (and is) disastrous. I realize this libertarian stance has been mine in the past, but based on discussions I had, evidence I've seen, it seems that global markets create extreme inequalities.

Hong Kong is considered the world's most free economy by the Heritage foundation, and yet what are the consequences of this freedom? People living in cubicles? I haven't studied the situation in Hong Kong but I am aware inequalties are extreme there. The error of neoliberalism is to assume that everyone benefits from it equally. This isn't true. Today we have a situation where people are getting college degrees just to avoid living in misery. Historically this has not been so, but today is different...sure technology is partly responsible here, but it is humans that create technology and the economic system which frames the production and use of said technology. Technology is a human creation, and as Ragnar Redbeard said "what man has made, man can destroy". The economy in Hong Kong is VERY neoliberal. Why is this a problem? People go to Hong Kong to invest but the money doesn't stay there, nor does it trickle down because foreign investors do not invest in Hong Kong itself. I'm guessing low-qualified labor goes to mainland China, where children work for peanuts, and low-qualified and young workers have no way up. Sure, get a college degree, but how do you live in the meantime, with your parents, but if your parents can't support you?...etc. The ideal would be to have young people work earlier, but for that the lower paying jobs would have to be brought back, same is true in the US and in Europe.

Of course, I am not saying that neoliberalism is the only system that creates inequality...contrary to popular belief, communism historically has too.

Part of the reason we today are so aware of inequalty is because of increased urbanization, since the 19th century people moving out of rural areas into urban ones creates a sense of inequality sicne you can easily see how everyone else around you is living, their standards of living. Ancient societies didn't have this problem and that's largely what made their strength. I don't know what else to say.