User Tag List

Lightbulb What so many don't get about the US working class

What So Many People Don’t Get About the U.S. Working Class

My father-in-law grew up eating blood soup. He hated it, whether because of the taste or the humiliation, I never knew. His alcoholic father regularly drank up the family wage, and the family was often short on food money. They were evicted from apartment after apartment.

He dropped out of school in eighth grade to help support the family. Eventually he got a good, steady job he truly hated, as an inspector in a factory that made those machines that measure humidity levels in museums. He tried to open several businesses on the side but none worked, so he kept that job for 38 years. He rose from poverty to a middle-class life: the car, the house, two kids in Catholic school, the wife who worked only part-time. He worked incessantly. He had two jobs in addition to his full-time position, one doing yard work for a local magnate and another hauling trash to the dump.

Continued below...

What So Many People Don’t Get About the U.S. Working Class
    Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Meet Richard P. Feynman
    Likes LucieCat, Zarathustra liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Probably the worst of all of it it is that America doesn't like to think we have classes. People's "upward mobility", or lack of it, is blamed on their own lack of virtue.
    Likes LucieCat, Peter Deadpan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Probably the worst of all of it it is that America doesn't like to think we have classes. People's "upward mobility", or lack of it, is blamed on their own lack of virtue.
    From what I can tell from most sources American or reporting on America there's only two classes, the "middle" class and the "welfare" class, its totally weird and wrong but then there was a time when the culture was totally and utterly different, maybe it will change again, like I read some early essay from some libertarian party guy who talked about they had originally planned to call it the individualist party or something like that but they couldnt used words like individualism because they were synonymous with selfishness (itself something frowned upon) and therefore tried to rehabilitate the word libertarian as their own. And they largely succeeded.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    the "middle" class and the "welfare" class, its totally weird and wrong
    Divide and rule.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Michèle Lamont, in The Dignity of Working Men, also found resentment of professionals — but not of the rich. “[I] can’t knock anyone for succeeding,” a laborer told her. “There’s a lot of people out there who are wealthy and I’m sure they worked darned hard for every cent they have,” chimed in a receiving clerk. Why the difference? For one thing, most blue-collar workers have little direct contact with the rich outside of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. But professionals order them around every day. The dream is not to become upper-middle-class, with its different food, family, and friendship patterns; the dream is to live in your own class milieu, where you feel comfortable — just with more money. “The main thing is to be independent and give your own orders and not have to take them from anybody else,” a machine operator told Lamont. Owning one’s own business — that’s the goal. That’s another part of Trump’s appeal.
    But they would have far different tone if management was their kid or their family. Not their wife of course as the article unfortunately outlines. I do hope Trump delivers on returning all that manhood and basic human dignity stolen from men so unfairly. Maybe some of those in PA or W VA or other depressed areas waiting for their Trumpian hand out should read this article. But Harvard? Haha no.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

^^I disagree. I think he meant for someone precisely like myself a liberal in a liberal state to read it and understand the core emotional reasons for the support Trump has garnered from his supporters
    Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Meet Richard P. Feynman

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by LovecraftianMonstrosity View Post
    ^^I disagree. I think he meant for someone precisely like myself a liberal in a liberal state to read it and understand the core emotional reasons for the support Trump has garnered from his supporters
    Yes I agree that is what the article is saying and who it's targeting (and I thought it was well written). But why is it so imperative for you or me to understand the Trump supporter (I see them as something different from a Trump voter)? They also don't want to be understood by anyone not like them. I've put effort into this for a year - each Trump supporter that I know have said they will never not support him no matter what and don't care what anyone thinks of that.

Here is another article that amplifies that belief.

Johnstown Never Believed Trump Would Help. They Still Love Him Anyway. - POLITICO Magazine
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Because swaying 1% of people towards the middle would have won us the election?

There are a lot of people regretting their votes now. It's important to be accepting of them as people and let them know that their voice is being heard nonjudgmentally.

Meet Richard P. Feynman

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by LovecraftianMonstrosity View Post
    Because swaying 1% of people towards the middle would have won us the election?

There are a lot of people regretting their votes now. It's important to be accepting of them as people and let them know that their voice is being heard nonjudgmentally.
    Of course, I agree. I just haven't met many regretting their vote for him.
    Likes LovecraftianMonstrosity liked this post

I like to keep in mind the 90-9-1 rule when posting on the internet.

1% rule (Internet culture) - Wikipedia

1% of people on here are the loud voices that scream about the left, etc but in the 90% of lurkers are the people you can actually persuade. Kind of like how we do with climate change science on this site. Let people have their say but politely or humorously rebut their arguments

Meet Richard P. Feynman