User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Default Conservative Feminism?

So, I rubbed some folks the wrong way by calling into question Sarah Palin's feminism. Rather than remaining flagrantly biased against the notion that conservatives can be feminists, I would like to know what conservative feminism looks like. If the objective of feminism is to ensure a fairer, safer, more just, more equitable world for women, how would a conservative feminist strive for that?

Also, what is Sarah Palin doing that is pro-woman? And is it (or should it be) enough if she is just breaking this huge barrier and is the first woman this close to the presidency?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sniffles

What exactly do you mean by conservative? Are you referring to the Republican Party, or the Political philosophical tradition of men like Edmund Burke?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, whichever category it is that Sarah Palin belongs to, exactly. I'm guessing more Republican party than anything else?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Let's go with Sarah Palin-conservative--social conservative Republican.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    Well, whichever category it is that Sarah Palin belongs to, exactly. I'm guessing more Republican party than anything else?
    Probably. As to the question of conservative feminism; many early early feminists upheld positions that would be considered "conservative" by today's standards. Example: many of the early feminists were staunchly against abortion and upheld the importance of the home and motherhood to the innate nature of women. This was even true for Betty Friedman.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Define feminist. Is it someone who follows the stereotypical feminist political view? Or is it someone who is doing something that they believe benefits women?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If the objective of feminism is to ensure a fairer, safer, more just, more equitable world for women, how would a conservative feminist strive for that?
    Rather than remaining flagrantly biased against the notion that you can talk about more justice and equality for one group without sounding like the "some animals are more equal than others" quote from Animal Farm, I'll just say.... gun rights.
    I don't wanna!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

A very, very, very good point. The Great Equalizer.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Probably. As to the question of conservative feminism; many early early feminists upheld positions that would be considered "conservative" by today's standards. Example: many of the early feminists were staunchly against abortion and upheld the importance of the home and motherhood to the innate nature of women. This was even true for Betty Friedman.
    Do you mean Betty Friedan? The feminine mystique? I may be mistaken, but wasn't that book devoted entirely to the critique of the idea that women are somehow naturally meant for the home?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Do you mean Betty Friedan?
    Sorry, I always get those names mixed up. :redface:

The feminine mystique? I may be mistaken, but wasn't that book devoted entirely to the critique of the idea that women are somehow naturally meant for the home?
    Yes but by 1980, she revised her views saying that women find the most fufillment within the nuturing of the home.

She was often at odds with more radical Feminists, stating once

"Im at odds with the radical feminists because Im not anti-marriage and anti-family. I always thought it was dangerous to go against the idea of the family. I dont even like the phrase womens liberation because that idea of being set free from everything doesnt seem right to me."