User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Um yes...and doesn't this present a problem for the idea of the unquestionable domestic role of women by nature?
    Yes and no. For one thing, there is the basic distinction between ideology and philosophy. Hegemony largely applies to ideological considerations; while more philosophical considerations on womens' issues wouldn't.

As far as "conservative" is concerned this can play out both ways - when we determine what "conservative" actually means. We get a different answer is our paradigm is set by the likes of Burke, de Maistre, Oakeshott, Voeglin, Russell, etc than if we set it by Kristol, W. Bush, Palin, etc.

Hasn't hegemony been a starting point for many feminist social critiques?
    Yes, which is why feminism falls under the ideology category not the philosophical one.

I pointed to Hegemony to show that considerations and changed in the basic worldviews of societies is not beyond realistic means.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Should we be satisfied to merely exert our influence via domestic life, not through voting?
    Yes, considering that domestic life is more influential in our effecting the world than voting.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes and no. For one thing, there is the basic distinction between ideology and philosophy. Hegemony largely applies to ideological considerations; while more philosophical considerations on womens' issues wouldn't.
    How is a belief system about how society should ideally be set up not an ideology?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Yes, considering that domestic life is more influential in our effecting the world than voting.
    How about YOU be a stay-at-home parent, since you are so into it (not that there's anything wrong with that, seriously; my mom was a s@hm.), and I will get a PhD in my chosen field and teach at a university?

Are your contributions to the culture devalued?
    Are mine?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

As far as "conservative" is concerned this can play out both ways - when we determine what "conservative" actually means. We get a different answer is our paradigm is set by the likes of Burke, de Maistre, Oakeshott, Voeglin, Russell, etc than if we set it by Kristol, W. Bush, Palin, etc.

Yes, which is why feminism falls under the ideology category not the philosophical one.

I pointed to Hegemony to show that considerations and changed in the basic worldviews of societies is not beyond realistic means.
    I am not understanding what the difference between 'philosophy' and ideology is, nor why the two are even being related in this instance.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Why not both? It's not as if you have to give up your domestic life to also have a professional/outwardly one. I'm still a mother, I still nurture my children, and I still tend the home although I work. So does my husband, all of the above (with the possible exception of tending the home, but I'm willing to overlook it since he's so badass at the rest of it and is happy to help when asked). The children spend some time in the care of others but that hasn't stopped us from teaching them our values.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I am not understanding what the difference between 'philosophy' and ideology is, nor why the two are even being related in this instance.
    No kidding. This whole thing has hegemony written all over it. In fact, I'd spell it all out, but I have to give the SAT at 7:30 AM and don't feel like being up all night pontificating on just how obviously hegemonic this is.
    INFJ

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    How about YOU be a stay-at-home parent, since you are so into it (not that there's anything wrong with that, seriously; my mom was a s@hm.), and I will get a PhD in my chosen field and teach at a university?
    A very nice sarcastic, but ultimately non-responsive statement.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

A very nice sarcastic, but ultimately non-responsive statement.
    Ironic. Indeed, without my questions attached, it seems like mere sarcasm. But I actually made an inquiry which you have not, and--it seems since I've asked it at least twice now--will not answer.
    Last edited by Eileen; 10-03-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: punctuation improvement
    INFJ

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Why not both? It's not as if you have to give up your domestic life to also have a professional/outwardly one. I'm still a mother, I still nurture my children, and I still tend the home although I work. So does my husband, all of the above (with the possible exception of tending the home, but I'm willing to overlook it since he's so badass at the rest of it and is happy to help when asked). The children spend some time in the care of others but that hasn't stopped us from teaching them our values.
    Ok but which takes priority: Family and home - or career?