User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    LSE Si

Do you know how much I adored Louie? Fuck.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Si > Se > Ni = Fe > Fi > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Gemini Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Johari · Private Blog · Nohari

The MBTI Test Test Status: Starting Soon
    Likes ceecee, asynartetic liked this post

At the moment we are critiquing high status men for sexual abuse of those in their power. I look forward to extending this to emotional abuse by the powerful towards those in their power.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I know. I didn't really give a damn about Cosby or Weinstein, but Louie's a different story.
    This is not going to go the way you think....
    Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I know. I didn't really give a damn about Cosby or Weinstein, but Louie's a different story.
    Thatreminds me of Jimmy Seville and Rolf Harris in the UK. Seville always struck me as a bastard trying to look nice, even when I was a kid, but with Rolf I suspected nothing. I used to enjoy watching Rolf's cartoon club...
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thatreminds me of Jimmy Seville and Rolf Harris in the UK. Seville always struck me as a bastard trying to look nice, even when I was a kid, but with Rolf I suspected nothing. I used to enjoy watching Rolf's cartoon club...
    Can that all be separated from the offending? I remember getting rid of a valuable book by Koestler after I learned he was a rapist, I just didnt want it anymore and couldnt and wouldnt separate the two things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I know I'll regret asking but what is it alleged he did and did he actually do it?

brush off the lolcows asynartetic's Avatar

TBH, I can’t really watch Polanski films. I have the Frantic soundtrack but that’s because I like Ennio Morricone

And I’ve never been able to watch anything by or with Woody Allen without being reminded of his pedophilic tendencies. I think he’s a little creep.
    There is a fine line between being prejudiced against an entire demographic and disagreeing with the way the system works. -asynartetic

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Keep your pimp hand strong. -Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone bring up the term in a conversation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Personally I was a fan of many of the people, Kevin Spacey, Louis C.K, (Fuck Brett Ratner though, he can go to hell) Bill Cosby... never cared much for Harvey Weinstien. And while their acts are reprehensible and in Bill Cosby's case especially, irredeemable, How they respond to the allegations does count for something in my eyes. Louis C.K. owned his actions even if he didn't come forward himself, he owned up to them when they came to light. He said they're absolutely true. He didn't deflect like Kevin Spacey, deny that anything happened like Cosby, and while that doesn't remove what he did, it is a sign that he knows what he did is wrong and may even be willing to try and fix it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes ceecee liked this post

To think there was a time when there was a lot of scoffing secularism boldly declaiming abuse in the RCC as though it was something unique to the RCC and a result of roman catholicism itself, I knew all of this was just a matter of time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    To think there was a time when there was a lot of scoffing secularism boldly declaiming abuse in the RCC as though it was something unique to the RCC and a result of roman catholicism itself, I knew all of this was just a matter of time.
    From: Abusers and Enablers in Faculty Culture - The Chronicle of Higher Education
    Anytime you have a highly competitive system in which a single person has the power to make or break someone else’s career — whether it’s the crowded, greasy pole of Hollywood or a flooded Ph.D. pipeline — you will have abuse.
    It is important to know that many, many wonderful ideas and things that come out of research were also built on the back of abuse. Countless people (especially women and minorities) left academia because of this.

I have spoken to people in various stages of tenure about the abusive power structures in academia. Many who have made it are selectively blind, engage in abuse themselves, or want to hold on to this power and don't want any accountability. I've never thought that the RCC was unique. People are people.

The UC system is infamous for their cover-ups. Then there's the recent University of Rochester case, which is unbelievable. Loads more universities have been caught out because everyone shares the same abusive power structure that protects these people. 47% of doctoral candidates are depressed in this kind of environment, and mental health is an issue throughout the academy. This conversation started about 3 years ago, and as recently as this year, people (note: men in power) were still writing it off as a few bad apples. Students and early career researchers are now asking about their options, university policy, and about legal routes. Harvey Weinstein was Hollywood, but it's also pulled the plug for academia. I am so glad.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes Atomic Fiend, Amargith liked this post