--Talking Heads
    A quote a day keeps the docter away, eh Mr Jack Flak
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I went to an Ivy League university for two years, and I was surprised at how many people I found to be below my intelligence level. They tended to be more up on world affairs and more competitive than people at other schools, but it wasn't as if everyone walking around were a genius. Most had a preternatural ability to party excessively and still manage to get to class and get at least decent grades.
    Yeah, I think that comes with growing up in a house with 50 rooms, nice quiet house parties with 150 people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    [snerk]

Feminists are a hoot. Their point of view adds up to "Women don't count as women unless they're liberal women."

That's why they gave Clinton a pass on Paula Jones.

Here women have a crack at electing this country's very first female executive EVER... and if the Republicans win, there is an excellent chance that the nation will one day have a President Palin... and they're bitching like she's the antichrist.

Machs nicht to me. I won't be voting for either side of our ruling party.
    It ABSOLUTELY matters to me--as a feminist, concerned with issues of feminism--that the woman we elect has the welfare of women at heart (and in my opinion, the liberal ticket cares more about women than the conservative one). I think it's retardedly counter-productive to be excited about a woman running JUST BECAUSE she's a woman. If she's not going to take care of women, what does it matter?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If she's not going to take care of women, what does it matter?
    It's at least symbolic, Ms. Black/White.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It ABSOLUTELY matters to me--as a feminist, concerned with issues of feminism--that the woman we elect has the welfare of women at heart (and in my opinion, the liberal ticket cares more about women than the conservative one). I think it's retardedly counter-productive to be excited about a woman running JUST BECAUSE she's a woman. If she's not going to take care of women, what does it matter?

I think the problem is the implication that women must toe a certain political line, no matter how successful and powerful they are, or they are not feminists. That is, of course, nonsense.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    See? It's a leftist truism that Bush is unintelligent. For my part, I would venture that he's every bit as bright as, say, John Kerry.

The fact that he's on the wrong side of about twenty different policy issues is beside the point. That makes him wrong, not stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    He is smart. He's not good at being fake, which is why he screws up all the time. Less so these days because he just doesn't care anymore.
    Bush has the intelligence of an average college student, but for a President, especially compared to Clinton, he's low.

Times Article

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think the problem is the implication that women must toe a certain political line, no matter how successful and powerful they are, or they are not feminists. That is, of course, nonsense.
    We know that she's anti-abortion, and there is a question as to whether she made any attempt to stop her police chief from forcing women to pay for their own rape kits. If the latter is true, which hasn't been determined (in fairness), she is very clearly not taking care of women in a very important sense. She might be a feminist in a lot of ways--equal opportunities, equal pay for equal work. Those are important. But do not fuck with reproductive rights.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

But do not fuck with reproductive rights.
    I suppose that's as important to you as the 2nd ammendment to me. I'm not quite a single issue voter, but that would be it if I were, because of what it represents.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I suppose that's as important to you as the 2nd ammendment to me. I'm not quite a single issue voter, but that would be it if I were, because of what it represents.
    I'm not a single-issue voter either, but that's a pretty important "feminist" issue to me, so if we're judging someone on the basis of feminism, while I shouldn't completely discount someone as anti-feminist without it, I will hold that issue up as paramount.

I am also against tax breaks for the wealthy and raping the environment. So there are at least three issues.
    INFJ

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm not a single-issue voter either, but that's a pretty important "feminist" issue to me, so if we're judging someone on the basis of feminism, while I shouldn't completely discount someone as anti-feminist without it, I will hold that issue up as paramount.

I am also against tax breaks for the wealthy and raping the environment. So there are at least three issues.
    Yes, and when Obama supports every gun control measure proposed, like the unconstitutional handgun bans in various locations, I get a slight irked as well. Basically, with this and other issues, I really hate the philosophy:

"We are the democratic legislators. We would like to make it illegal for you to do x, and we'll do it for you, only much worse."

It is not exclusively a Democrat mindset, but moreso indeed.