User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Okay. I'm confused. Are you arguing about my opinion of her debate performance or my empty threat to merge all of her threads (which was a joke)?

I don't think Biden trounced her. I probably agree with a lot of your analysis. All I said was that I think she did poorly. She failed to actually answer some questions and then started talking about something completely different that made me forget what the question even was. I suppose that was her purpose, so that she could get all of her talking points in.

My guess is that the expectations of her were a lot lower than I expected them to be if people are saying that she did well. Maybe they didn't think that she could properly form a sentence. I at least gave her that much credit before the debate.

As far as showing my political stripes. . . so? You show your political stripes in every single thread. You can read through every political thread. Never have I actually said that I support Obama. Actually, I'm not even sure if I've talked about my political ideology on this site, and it's definitely different from the ideology held by many. How that invalidates my opinion, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't throw in a snarky comment about a political figure if I were talking about merging threads as a mod. As far as I am concerned, that's bad form. If I become a mod on here, I will avoid modding in the Political threads because 1) I post in them so much; and 2) I wouldn't want even the appearance of impropriety. Post what you believe all you want; I love to read people's opinions and I love to debate. Just leave out the commentary when you are warning about merges, deletes, etc.

Also, I never claimed you were a diehard Obama supporter or anything. I've just noticed that EVERYONE who has been extremely positive or negative about Palin's performance in the debate seems to have made up his or her mind about her beforehand, anyway. It reads like a lot of rah-rah, homerish propaganda. I don't support Obama or McCain, and Palin doesn't really get my blood up. Or, she doesn't get it up any more than the average small-state politician. I could be making an ill-advised assumption here, so, if I am, I apologize. How do you feel about this election?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wouldn't throw in a snarky comment about a political figure if I were talking about merging threads as a mod.
    I apologize if the snarky comment wasn't well-recieved. I would never moderate based on my personal opinion of the topic or thread starter. However, last night there were three Palin threads going at once, and I do think that was too many. . . hence the comment. Of course, I didn't do anything about it.

I've just noticed that EVERYONE who has been extremely positive or negative about Palin's performance in the debate seems to have made up his or her mind about her beforehand, anyway. It reads like a lot of rah-rah, homerish propaganda.
    I tuned in because I was curious. I wasn't really sure how she would do beforehand because sometimes that down-home washington outsider talk that she does really works. (It doesn't work on me, but I understand how it works on other people.) Admittedly, I didn't have a high opinion of her. I was watching more for the entertainment value, but I consider myself a fairly objective critic since I'm not emotionally invested in any of the candidates.

It just sounded as if the McCain campaign said, "Okay, here are your talking points. When in doubt just refer back to them. Do not stray from these points! At all!" So, she didn't make any huge errors, but it felt like all she brought to the table was rhetoric and campaign slogans.

How do you feel about this election?
    Simply put:

Obama/Biden=Change -----> No way
    McCain/Palin=Maverick ------> No f'n way

Bottom line: Nothing will happen regardless of who is elected, and we'll be just as well/worse off.

/cynicism

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I apologize if the snarky comment wasn't well-recieved. I would never moderate based on my personal opinion of the topic or thread starter. However, last night there were three Palin threads going at once, and I do think that was too many. . . hence the comment. Of course, I didn't do anything about it.
    I understand. I guess I am a little sensitive about mod-related things. When I post on some hockey boards, it's a big issue with all the fanatical partisans there. Mods have to be extra careful.

I tuned in because I was curious. I wasn't really sure how she would do beforehand because sometimes that down-home washington outsider talk that she does really works. (It doesn't work on me, but I understand how it works on other people.) Admittedly, I didn't have a high opinion of her. I was watching more for the entertainment value, but I consider myself a fairly objective critic since I'm not emotionally invested in any of the candidates.
    I agree. People really like both the "change" rhetoric and the "maverick/outsider" rhetoric. Policy (you know, the important stuff) is always given short shrift.

It just sounded as if the McCain campaign said, "Okay, here are your talking points. When in doubt just refer back to them. Do not stray from these points! At all!" So, she didn't make any huge errors, but it felt like all she brought to the table was rhetoric and campaign slogans.
    I think they really wanted her to keep it simple. She is not a terrific orator, so she usually comes off best with sound bites and breaking down complex issues into short, easily understood policy points. I think that appeals to a lot of the voting public.

Simply put:

Obama/Biden=Change -----> No way
    McCain/Palin=Maverick ------> No f'n way

Bottom line: Nothing will happen regardless of who is elected, and we'll be just as well/worse off.

/cynicism
    Music to my ears.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    In the words of my good friend, "maverick energy mom from Alaska. MAVERICK!"

I thought she was pretty poised, but that sexxxy Joe Biden kicked her fucking ass.
    Biden?

Yeah, I'd do *cough* vote for that... ()

MBTI
    INTj

I think they really wanted her to keep it simple. She is not a terrific orator, so she usually comes off best with sound bites and breaking down complex issues into short, easily understood policy points. I think that appeals to a lot of the voting public.
    Agreed. I think Biden got a bit too complex at times, and he had me scratching my head a bit.

I was watching on CNN and they had a graph of uncommitted men and women voters from Ohio. I noticed that when Palin started speaking, her approval ratings started to go down. I was wondering if this is because she started most rebuttals with, "I wanna go back to talking about x" instead of actually answering the addressed question.

However, as she began talking those lines went way up. It's like her goal was to speak in simple language and stray away from the question at hand until people actually forgot what it was. I think that worked.

Or maybe I just spent way too much time staring at that graph.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Wow, people are talking about Joe Biden being attractive now? I hope I can attribute that to political bias. If he is actually considered "sexy," then something is horribly wrong in America.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Wow, people are talking about Joe Biden being attractive now? I hope I can attribute that to political bias. If he is actually considered "sexy," then something is horribly wrong in America.
    K, I added the altongue emoticon to express the joshing nature of the post.

Seriously though... he won the debate. She did well by not imploding.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    K, I added the altongue emoticon to express the joshing nature of the post.

Seriously though... he won the debate. She did well by not imploding.

He did well, but he really went far afield sometimes. He needs to keep himself on a shorter leash verbally, because he was losing the plot at times. In reading today, the online MSM seems to think that Palin did pretty well, actually. I was not overwhelmed.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Well I think he's super sexy for an older man and as a young man but I'm biased and love tall, thin, clean cut men with blue eyes.

<------

Yes,yes!

NPG I see nothing wrong with giving your opinion especially since it echoes mine.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTj

I must say that when Biden was talking about his wife and daughter being killed in that car accident, he seemed very endearing. Surely that's good enough for some sort of pity sex, riooooght?