User Tag List

12 Last

Default Equifax hack/data breach

Equifax was hacked exposing the information of 140 million or so Americans mostly on the internet. The breach also exposed 400,000 people in the UK. Here is your Equifax hack guide:

1. Read this:

The Equifax breach is proof it's time to overhaul the credit bureau industry — Quartz

It should piss you off.

2. Be grateful to Senate democrats!

US Senator Elizabeth Warren and a handful of her Democratic peers have introduced a bill intended to give consumers more control over the information collected by credit-reporting agencies including Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. The Freedom From Equifax Exploitation Act is in response to a massive security breach at Equifax that compromised the personal information of 143 million people.
    Senate bill calls for free credit freezes after Equifax breach

3. Check to see if you have been compromised:

Go to:

How to Find Out If You Were Affected by the Equifax Hack

To read the lifehacker article

go to this link (within the article above):

Getting Started

enter your information and check. Good luck! Remember 44% of Americans were compromised and beware because if you enroll in their service after checking your status it may affect your ability to be a part of any class action law suit in the future. GET A CREDIT FREEZE. It costs nothing before the 21st but it costs $5-$10 to lift it later if you want to open a new credit account (better safe than sorry in my opinion). Remember Equifax wants you to enroll in their premium service free for a year and after that they will charge you for it so be sure to cancel it before the year is up so you can save your money!

Last of all: Screw credit bureaus!
    Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Meet Richard P. Feynman
    Likes Floki, Ghost liked this post

What the hell is that wall of shit?
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

Edited!

Damn you guys are fast.

Somehow the css code for the lifehacker article got embedded in the url?
    Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Meet Richard P. Feynman

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yes get credit freeze but don't buy anything from Equifax. You can get the service from other companies, otherwise you have to call all three of those credit bureau fucks individually to do so (I've used Innovis for several years, they provide all types of monitoring and protection, including the freeze).

See, this shit is the reason that repealing financial regulations, such as the ones put in place after 2008, is pissing voters off even more than they were. Which is kind of a feat in itself. Trust me, you can still make money no matter what you hear, with regulations in place to keep Wall St. on a leash and consumers safe. This is also why I think Elizabeth Warren is more effective where she is. But I wouldn't mind her being AG either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    I_FP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The site to check your name/last 6 if your SS# is just a ploy to sell services. If you enter "Test" in the name field and "123456" in the SS# field, you get a response saying that you may have been affected.
    Likes LovecraftianMonstrosity liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is a pretty good article on it

The Equifax Breach Was Entirely Preventable | WIRED

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Anyone want to own the stock?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This is a pretty good article on it

The Equifax Breach Was Entirely Preventable | WIRED
    Yes this is a good article.

I heard this today, that they were also hacked in March.

Equifax Suffered a Hack Almost Five Months Earlier Than the Date It Disclosed - Bloomberg
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Anyone want to own the stock?
    The continual pattern is that the stock goes down and in a year or two it recovers after these breaches. This may be one case where that doesn't happen given the magnitude of it, the kind of company they are and kind of information taken. There is also the part about people not volunteering to give their information to them - you don't have a choice to not shop there. That imo is what makes people the most angry.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The continual pattern is that the stock goes down and in a year or two it recovers after these breaches. This may be one case where that doesn't happen given the magnitude of it, the kind of company they are and kind of information taken. There is also the part about people not volunteering to give their information to them - you don't have a choice to not shop there. That imo is what makes people the most angry.
    This. And the fact that the people most likely responsible - chief information officer and chief security officer - were simply allowed to "retire". No accountability whatsoever.