User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default What were you doing on 9/11?

Since tomorrow is the anniversary of 9/11, I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread about the effects of 9/11 and how this has impacted people in the years since.

Where were you, and what were you doing.
    Shot at close range; left for dead by an unidentified killer, for reasons unknown. After 40 years, no names, few clues...

Who are the elusive "Mystery Couple"?

I was about to say its the tenth already, then I realised its the difference, on the day in question I was at home playing a video game and watching the TV on a desk next to me when the report came through. I rang my mum at her work to see if she was seeing it, I dont remember if I was off work or between jobs at the time.

The thing about remembrance of it that atrocity is that there have been so many since, so many and part of the time I think the terrorists responsible or their fellow travelers like to think that people cant or wont forget about the crimes they commit, its part of their whole twisted purpose.

So I'm not sure how to commemorate, and I am convinced that often then are shady elements who would be pleased if a perpetual state of war could be established in which people can not recover from traumas and losses and instead are just driven to inflict similar ones on others.

I dont know who those same elements are, I dont for a minute believe there is any kind of conspiracy going on, just nations who would like to upscale their own national divisions to that of the entire world or who would exploit for their own advantage conflicts going on elsewhere. Any weaker nation which has a good study of history, hell, even any powerful one which does not wish to behave obviously for fear of repercussions would behave that way. Instead of an old fashioned defeat in war I think nations competiting with one another now just try to ruin one another, its as old as the Shinobi in Japan, engineering strife and conflict during the period of warring states.

The loss of innocent, non-combatants and the inauguration of a different style of warfare without limitations, not even the limitations of Clausewitz's total war, is a terrible thing, I'm still not sure of the best way to fight the death cultists, its like something from Temple of Doom come to life. As an aside, perhaps, I thought the film Remember Me, was an excellent film, I did not guess the conclusion until close to the finish.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

Every year a thread like this is made. It's been sixteen years. Maybe we should practice looking outward more.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I was 3 and I have no idea.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

The effects are very apparent in our politics, technology and current outlook on religious differences and immigration.

How we deal with the trauma of it shows in the variance of these outlooks.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Every year a thread like this is made. It's been sixteen years. Maybe we should practice looking outward more.
    I think the inability for many Americans to do this, is part of the reason we're still fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and why the situation in this country is so amplified, no one else can speak or hear. Of course, saying this means you are no longer a patriot, you don't love the military or your country and all other bullshit propaganda the conservative right spews when others don't get in lock step with them. Every day until the end of time is Sept. 12, 2001 for them. As far as this 9/11, I want no part of any public remembrances. Trump will figure out a way to fuck it up for a survivor or a family somehow.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes magpie, Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Floki liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When I think of that day, I'm usually thinking more in terms of its impact on my own inner subjective world as well as how I had to engage my kids. I'm not saying we need to have a holiday where everyone speaks of patriotism and hypes the event in some way; I hate the way it's been used to politicize as well as judge someone's patriotism. And I'm not really sure I can describe how it has "impacted" me... aside from reminding me that you never know what will happen, and you need to be prepared and be living fully.

But this question is not a lot different (except in magnitude of scale) from asking someone what they were doing when Kennedy was shot. Or when the space shuttle blew up. It's just stuff that can impact the individual psyche and tends to stick in the mind. And some people here participating on the forum actually were not born yet or were too young to really remember anything, so... if it is helpful?

-----

For me, I was just at work that morning. It was a Tuesday, I don't even need to check the calendar. I was working on some documents so I missed the strikes on the two towers but realized the Internet had gotten super-slow. I tried to find out what was happening and finally realized about the first two plane strikes about a quarter after 9. Someone turned on a radio in the office since the Internet was doing poorly, so we stood around and listened to that. It was unbelievable when the towers fell. Like, is this for real?

Late in the morning, someone took one of my coworkers out back and shut the door. I could hear her wailing outside. It tore me down to the core. Her nephew had worked at the Pentagon as an intern or some entry position, and was now numbered among the dead.

I couldn't really work. No one could. I went home in the afternoon and stopped at Costco, which was a mistake since they had a row of televisions going, all showing the same images. That will always stick in my head. I don't dwell on it, but... it's kind of burned into my mind's eye. All the same video image, all replicated many many times over, playing in sync, of the towers collapsing.

The elementary school had gone on lockdown and then the kids were sent home. I remember walking through the neighborhood with both of them (they were 6 & 5 at the time), trying to explain to them what happened in terms they could understand, so that they wouldn't be confused by what they were hearing about but also not to scare them. I think we did well with them. But it's not something you can plan for.

I found out later my cousin (who worked high up in the towers) happened to be out front on the sidewalk on a phone call at the time... so he just walked the whole way out of Manhattan; it really shook him, how fortunate he had been.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers, jamain liked this post

It was night time here as America was attacked, so I stayed up all night listening to it unfold. I thought the first plane was an accident, but I immediately knew the second plane was a deliberate attack. I was horrified and shocked at the desperate people jumping from high windows to avoid the flames. But next morning I went for breakfast at the Students' Union Refectory, and joined my muslim friends at their table, only to find they were cock-a-hoop over the attack, they were delighted with the attack and celebrating it. I knew at that moment we lived in different moral universes, and all I could say, under my breath, was we will defeat you.

Senior Member SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It was night time here as America was attacked, so I stayed up all night listening to it unfold. I thought the first plane was an accident, but I immediately knew the second plane was a deliberate attack. I was horrified and shocked at the desperate people jumping from high windows to avoid the flames. But next morning I went for breakfast at the Students' Union Refectory, and joined my muslim friends at their table, only to find they were cock-a-hoop over the attack, they were delighted with the attack and celebrating it. I knew at that moment we lived in different moral universes, and all I could say, under my breath, was we will defeat you.
    It's really good to get a Brit's perspective on this.
    Shot at close range; left for dead by an unidentified killer, for reasons unknown. After 40 years, no names, few clues...

Who are the elusive "Mystery Couple"?

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

People might say let it go and alright in the realm of geopolitical interests and friendships and policy fine. As a nation we need to keep moving forward. As a man who was a twenty nine year old American at the time who had his country attacked and watched people jump to their deaths and watched firemen and police rush into burning hell storms many to not return, to see an American city gripped in horror. To see buildings fall to the Earth as tombs for over 3,000 people. For that man, it will never be forgotten. It may be hip to hate this country now but damn it I live here. Those were my people. My country attacked. I will sure as hell never forget that as an American and as an individual. Ever.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers, jamain liked this post