User Tag List

123 Last

Default What do you think of racism in old films?

Does it ever verge on making a film unwatchable for you? I mean if you watch a western and there are Native Americans, "Injuns", who are very obviously white guys, almost but only just not as bad as black face actors or the gollywogs, or when asian characters are played by white people, like David Carrigdine (spelling) in Kung Fu (just the knowledge that while Bruce Lee had the idea for Kung Fu he was not permitted to actually act in the lead role strikes me as an injustice).

I know none of it is Triumph of The Will or Birth of a Nation but you know.

Ha, that's weird. I started typing out my post after only reading your first sentence, then deleted the whole damn thing upon looking up and seeing what annoyed you had also annoyed me - Bruce Lee and Kung Fu. I thought that whole thing involving the show was FUBAR.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

I'm more curious about your opinion.

Now that in America the Irish have become white are you bothered by stereotypes from the past when there was more serious racism towards the Irish?

Trying to think of a good example, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. Maybe some of the caricatures in the Quiet Man?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I think I am more annoyed about the fact that over half of modern Hollywood movies have multiple scenes of shooting people for profit/fun/whatever. (and most of the remaining ones are comedies that aren't actually funny).

I am not fundamentally against that kind of movies but c'mon, this is totally blown out of proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Ha, that's weird. I started typing out my post after only reading your first sentence, then deleted the whole damn thing upon looking up and seeing what annoyed you had also annoyed me - Bruce Lee and Kung Fu. I thought that whole thing involving the show was FUBAR.
    Those sorts of race questions interest me more than the routine black vs. white game which most of the time is considered the "race question", plus racism between different minority or marginalised groups or the experiences of mixed race individuals talking about race.

Though Lee encountered a lot of mad ignorance, I read a great bit from an interview in which he asks an interviewer to stop referring to all martial arts or what he did as Cato in The Green Hornet TV series as "Karate" and tried in explain in a couple seconds just how big a deal it was that he was conflating Japanese Karate with Chinese Kung Fu, its mad because when I was a kid I would have thought the exact same thing, it wasnt until I was in my twenties, I think, that I read about how much of so called "chinese food" from take away restaurants was actually invented in the US or english speaking world, prepared by immigrants for english speaking people.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I'm more curious about your opinion.

Now that in America the Irish have become white are you bothered by stereotypes from the past when there was more serious racism towards the Irish?

Trying to think of a good example, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. Maybe some of the caricatures in the Quiet Man?
    I wrote a long reply and it got lost. Connection problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I think I am more annoyed about the fact that over half of modern Hollywood movies have multiple scenes of shooting people for profit/fun/whatever. (and most of the remaining ones are comedies that aren't actually funny).

I am not fundamentally against that kind of movies but c'mon, this is totally blown out of proportions.
    Those are good points, though equally bad films have their place, not everything needs to be an existential masterpiece you know?

And there are some films which do succeed as great cinema which are about little more than shooting someone for a profit, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for instance.

I wasnt talking about the various outrages about black actors and actresses not getting enough nominations if that's what you're thinking about but stuff like Bruce Lee's experience, like I mentioned, or other times when white actors had to be cast in the place of asian, black or other actors when there are asian, black or whatever actors available, anyway, I was talking about films from some time ago, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Those are good points, though equally bad films have their place, not everything needs to be an existential masterpiece you know?

And there are some films which do succeed as great cinema which are about little more than shooting someone for a profit, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for instance.

I wasnt talking about the various outrages about black actors and actresses not getting enough nominations if that's what you're thinking about but stuff like Bruce Lee's experience, like I mentioned, or other times when white actors had to be cast in the place of asian, black or other actors when there are asian, black or whatever actors available, anyway, I was talking about films from some time ago, in any case.

In my opinion "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" is masterpiece with good story and skilled production. I am talking about modern movies that are violence and flying body pieces for the sake of violence and flying body pieces ... and they don't have much of a story. Ok, some of of the movies can be like that but I think they are overdoing this. Half of the movies and TV series that are comming from US these days are based on "survival, guns, money, revenge, PTSD, crime etc". What is boring and possibly bad for viewers (after all good chunk of US takes antidepresants regually and for me there should be at least vague connection). If you watch shit whole day you will probably feel shity as well.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    In my opinion "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" is masterpiece with good story and skilled production. I am talking about modern movies that are violence and flying body pieces for the sake of violence and flying body pieces ... and they don't have much of a story. Ok, some of of the movies can be like that but I think they are overdoing this. Half of the movies and TV series that are comming from US these days are based on "survival, guns, money, revenge, PTSD, crime etc". What is boring and possibly bad for viewers (after all good chunk of US takes antidepresants regually and for me there should be at least vague connection). If you watch shit whole day you will probably feel shity as well.
    I agree with this entirely, I'm glad to hear someone else say it for a change.

There's a lot of TV shows I like, I also think there's something of a rennaisance in TV going on and it is rivaling cinema for the first time again in a long time, actors want to land roles in TV where once they only wanted the big screen movies.

Though I think what you say is more the case than it isnt, a lot of the content which makes good films or TV shows originates elsewhere, such as the Ring series, Death Note, other stuff, its coming from Asian parts of the world. There is some good content on youtube, I would argue but my tastes are pretty unique, cooking in the 18th century, quick guides to making mead at home, most of cinemassacre's out put, but the people creating that content generally are not trying to do what hollywood does.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yes, sometimes. I've never seen Schindler's List, I never wanted to see it from the time it was released. That's much more than racism, yes, but I have no real reason why. Incidentally I visited Dachau and Auschwitz after the move came out, it just made me want to see it less. Most of the time, I'm surprised to see ethnic people playing their own ethnicity, even today. There are people that seem very eager to bring all progress to a halt, I would not be at all surprised to see an attempt to move back to British people playing Asian and Native Americans or Europeans playing Arabs as they once did.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.