User Tag List

Default The five types of "Becky"

Last edited by asynartetic; 08-31-2017 at 04:52 AM.

who are

Was it supposed to be funny to claim all white women are racist? What a garbage article.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by an hero View Post
    Was it supposed to be funny to claim all white women are racist? What a garbage article.
    Why?

Did it claim all white women are racist? "Not all white women are beckies...all beckies are white women."

Sure, it's in the realm of fluff and opinion piece, but I think it gets at the general gist of how racism can subtly manifest in white women, and by extension, white men.

who are

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Why?

Did it claim all white women are racist? "Not all white women are beckies...all beckies are white women."

Sure, it's in the realm of fluff and opinion piece, but I think it gets at the general gist of how racism can subtly manifest in white women, and by extension, white men.
    I did read that portion and I stand by my point. It's an unfunny article in poor taste.

Yeah, they didn't explicitly say that all white women are racist. But putting an article out there like "7 types of Hispanic men that cheat on their wives" really just looks like it is trying to slander Hispanic men, etc.

We're not stupid. We all know racism is bad and we know it doesn't have to be overly explicit to be racism. It doesn't open one's eyes to anything.

Personally, I'm just sick and tired of this new "SJW" trend, for lack of a better term. I hate the word, but it's the only way I can think to describe pieces like this. The new movement actually hurts the very ideals it tries to go for.

Racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc. are all terrible things that society as a whole should try to diminish, but shitting on everyone for being privileged assholes all the time is really not the way to go about it at all. It gets so incredibly tiresome and makes it easy for people to dismiss you as a "SJW" and the like.

h3h3 often does segments on people like this. Some examples:

Likes Xann liked this post

I did read that portion and I stand by my point. It's an unfunny article in poor taste.

Yeah, they didn't explicitly say that all white women are racist. But putting an article out there like "7 types of Hispanic men that cheat on their wives" really just looks like it is trying to slander Hispanic men, etc.

We're not stupid. We all know racism is bad and we know it doesn't have to be overly explicit to be racism. It doesn't open one's eyes to anything.

Personally, I'm just sick and tired of this new "SJW" trend, for lack of a better term. I hate the word, but it's the only way I can think to describe pieces like this. The new movement actually hurts the very ideals it tries to go for.

Racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc. are all terrible things that society as a whole should try to diminish, but shitting on everyone for being privileged assholes all the time is really not the way to go about it at all. It gets so incredibly tiresome and makes it easy for people to dismiss you as a "SJW" and the like.

I thought SJWs (the white female variety, at least) were among one of the targets of the article. PC culture too, by extension. When I think of the meaning of a term like SJW, I think of people who virtue signal but don't sincerely give a care about people from less fortunate or different backgrounds. They see such people as tokens or vehicles for them to show off their own supposed virtues and moral superiority.

So I'm in agreement with you to some extent, that SJW culture has gotten ridiculous, but I think that sentiments like those expressed in that article don't smack of SJW moral superiority so much as they do of "stop pretending to care about and help black people." He just did a poor job of conveying it, and so it instead comes across as condescending and shitty. But I think he'd likely lump a good large chunk of white "SJWs" in with the "Beckies" he was attacking--note how he specifically calls out Lena Dunham and Jezebel readers.
    Likes Qlip, Redbone liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I read the root, it's not an SJW rag. It's a black rag. It has pretty surprising positions, some things which are in-line with SJW, some things which are contra. One of the most interesting positions it has been taking editorially has actually been against 'black allies'. Identifying them a cause of their problems instead of the solutions. The publication is ultimately not for you, it isn't interested in opening your eyes to anything. It's about their community, which is incredibly interesting.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post