User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is it right to use words like fascism or nazism to describe contemporary movements?

This is an interesting topic that I've seen brought up this last two or three days, do you think it is or is not appropriate to use the terms fascism, fascist, nazism, nazi in the context of contemporary movements?

The people I have seen attacking the use of those terms I would describe as being from both the PC left and the US right wing and far right, obviously they have different reasons, they both for different reasons want to disassociate contemporary groups from the earlier, historical precedents. What is your view?

Another question, which is not entirely unrelated to the first, do you think there is a likelihood that if fascism is associated with something other than or different to what it has been in the past, that there is a possibility of its return to the political mainstream?

- - - Updated - - -

Umberto Eco Makes a List of the 14 Common Features of Fascism | Open Culture
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is an interesting topic that I've seen brought up this last two or three days, do you think it is or is not appropriate to use the terms fascism, fascist, nazism, nazi in the context of contemporary movements?

The people I have seen attacking the use of those terms I would describe as being from both the PC left and the US right wing and far right, obviously they have different reasons, they both for different reasons want to disassociate contemporary groups from the earlier, historical precedents. What is your view?

Another question, which is not entirely unrelated to the first, do you think there is a likelihood that if fascism is associated with something other than or different to what it has been in the past, that there is a possibility of its return to the political mainstream?

- - - Updated - - -

Umberto Eco Makes a List of the 14 Common Features of Fascism | Open Culture
    I prefer the term Activist Larpers.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I prefer the term Activist Larpers.
    I am flabbergasted that you would be the first responder to this thread!

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

If their movement or ideology fits with fascism and Nazism then yes.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There have been threads in the past about the complexity of defining Fascism as an ideology.

That being said, if people in a contemporary movement call themselves Fascists or Nazis, or carry its imagery, use its slogans, quote and adhere to its literary foundations, I think it it's fair to call those people Nazis and Fascists without sorting out that complexity.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    If their movement or ideology fits with fascism and Nazism then yes.
    This. If they qualify then, sure. Self-identifiers, maybe.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There have been threads in the past about the complexity of defining Fascism as an ideology.

That being said, if people in a contemporary movement call themselves Fascists or Nazis, or carry its imagery, use its slogans, quote and adhere to its literary foundations, I think it it's fair to call those people Nazis and Fascists without sorting out that complexity.
    Aye but what if it turns out that they are actually from really nice people, keep themselves to themselves and dont engage in any trouble?

I think the problem the PC left have is "the threat of a good example", if that makes sense, if those words became more closely associated with creeds or individuals in the present day, than those which have been around in the past.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Aye but what if it turns out that they are actually from really nice people, keep themselves to themselves and dont engage in any trouble?
    That is irrelevant to me. There were "nice" Nazis in Germany, too.

I think the problem the PC left have is "the threat of a good example", if that makes sense, if those words became more closely associated with creeds or individuals in the present day, than those which have been around in the past.
    Not if the people in the present day are actually just bad examples, too.

And like I said, this was already the problem for people dealing with Fascism in the past. And in the past, we now know, people were, if anything, much too soft on it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have nothing against being "politically correct" since the opposite seems to be "raging dickhead". That said, a person or group that declares themselves to be fascists or Nazis, generally aren't going to be really nice people that keep to themselves and don't engage in trouble.

Note: I never liked the idea of using the term "alt-right". It isn't a PC term - it's an umbrella to classify all of wannabe twats from Breibart or provocateurs like Milo or serious retards like 4chan or 8chan, Gamergate and so on. Cunts like Richard Spencer are trust fund bitches and white supremacists with a foundation and platform of their own. Also raging dickheads.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

What's the alternative? We refer to them as passionately misguided?
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.
    Likes Red Herring, Falcarius, Mad Hatter liked this post