User Tag List

12311 Last

Enneagram
    8w9

Default Confederate Statues: Do they commemorate war or slavery or history?

Is it wise to forget the most costly conflict in our country's history?
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    8w9

This is Hemming park in my home town of Jacksonville Florida.

It was named for Charles Hemming in 1899, the year after he donated the monument topped by a Confederate infantryman as a memorial to soldiers and sailors from Florida who died during the Civil War.

The monument is to the soldiers and sailors in the region who died in the Civil War. Not to some general. To our dead.

Should we be forced to move it.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so
    Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Is it wise to forget the most costly conflict in our country's history?
    I think it is unwise to erase history, however a compromise might be possible if a statue is now socially unacceptable to some citizens then it might be moved to a more discrete and less prominent position rather than erasing it from history.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

They commemorate all three.
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    STP

Just some food for thought...what if its the actions of the people who worship it that cause the stigmatism it has today beyond the initial issue. And marches like the one we just saw just support that reason.

Ever had a kid who did what he wasnt suppose to out of retaliation only to further exacerbate the issue beyojd what reality deemed. At the end of the day the kid has no 2 feet to stand on irregardless of what the initial reasoning was.

If people had a clue how to keep what they want we would not have near as much struggle to hold onto what gets taken away.

Some will never understand because when they get a bit of advice like this its already to late...the cycle has been set in motion. But if applied to life then it will actually happen at a time it needs to happen to stop the cycle before hand.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Luv Deluxe liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Just some food for thought...what if its the actions of the people who worship it that cause the stigmatism it has today. And marches like the one we just saw just support that reason.
    I agree with this. If it doesn't represent hatred, then what's up with the people protesting about it being taken down who are open in their hatred? And if you object to people characterizing you as a hateful person, why jump to the defense of those people without any prompting? If being in favor of the statue has nothing to do with white supremacy, why rush to the defense of white supremacists?

Likes Luv Deluxe liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

My ancestors fought in the civil war, so the statue in Hemming Park applies directly to me.

Should we be forced to move a statue commemorating our dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Answer me.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

My ancestors fought in the civil war, so the statue in Hemming Park applies directly to me.

Should we be forced to move a statue commemorating our dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Answer me.
    Answer me. You have a certain response you expect, and you have your pre-programmed response. When ever you come across something you don't have a pre-programmed response for, you just ignore it. It's annoying and not terribly convincing or persuasive.

Likes Luv Deluxe, Nicodemus liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Answer me. You have a certain response you expect, and you have your pre-programmed response. When ever you come across something you don't have a pre-programmed response for, you just ignore it. It's annoying and not terribly convincing or persuasive.
    Tell me to my fucking face that I don't deserve to be able to walk downtown and remember my families dead.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Tell me to my fucking face that I don't deserve to be able to walk downtown and remember my families dead.
    I just did.

The response to the statue being taken down just proves me to that people who think that statue should be taken down have a point. If they wanted to "honor their dead", they went about it in the worst way imaginable.

Before, I might not have cared one way or the other. After the response I saw today (and your hypocritical lack of concern regarding the people killed and wounded today because of it), I have to conclude that yes, such statues should be taken down. The reaction to the stautes being taken down shows me that the symbolism behind the statues really is what the detractors claim it is, because that's what the people in support of the statues are blatantly marching in support of.

Likes Z Buck McFate, magpie, Luv Deluxe liked this post