User Tag List

View Poll Results: is the american dream dead?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • it is

4 36.36%
  • it is for me but not others

1 9.09%
  • it is for others but not me

2 18.18%
  • it is alive and kicking

4 36.36%
123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default is the american dream dead?

is the american dream dead?

is it just dead for you or for others?

what is the american dream to you and do you think that your definitions line up with that of others?

and why? (that why goes for everything really!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

It will remain what it always was: a myth.
    Likes chickpea, Floki, Amargith liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I plan on moving to the US in the next few years. I'm going to marry an American man and I'm going to become rich. Can this be considered an "American Dream?"
    EII - Fi - INFj
    9w8(963, The Mediator)
    sx/so
    SLOEI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't think there ever was a single American dream. The problem arises when one person isn't adhering to another persons version of the dream and that person becomes fearful and threatened. Hence oppression, marginalization and political tactics that try to force one vision of the dream on everyone else and make sure to convey that there are Americans not entitled to the dream. Because of that, if a person wants their version of the dream they have to stand up and take it from the people the mythical American Dream feel only they are entitled to.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENxP
    Enneagram
    973 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

I think every nation has its glorified and mythological side too it and America is not at all alone in that regard. Again I think there are many different ideas of what people want from life. For example we have the Scandinavian *Uptopia* in which poverty and violence doesnt exist and isn't truenough. Same withere the American dream.
    Likes Typh0n liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

What was the American Dream? Was it to have a large prosperous middle class, and still aspire for more? That's probably over.
    Likes Population: 1 liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    What was the American Dream? Was it to have a large prosperous middle class, and still aspire for more? That's probably over.
    The erosion of a middle class in America has been achieved partly through neglect and mostly through what seems to be a systematic dismantling of it. If we look around, countries with no middle class are definitely not places you would want to live in unless you're the masters in ivory towers surrounded by barbed wire and heavily armed goose stepping goons. Even then we have seen what happens when the unwashed masses finally become fed up with their overlords and risk taking a bullet in the hopes of finding a better future.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It never lived.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

As I understand it, the American Dream is achieving success from humble beginnings through hard work. It's being able to buy the house with the white picket fence and providing a better future for your children.

It's on life support because of excessive, stifling government regulation and high taxes, but it's not dead.

Examples of the American Dream (From Amy Chua's "The Triple Package"):

1. Carlos Gutierrez immigrated to the USA from Cuba at age 6; he becomes the CEO of Kellogg.
    2. Ralph del la Vega immigrated to the USA from Cuba at age 10; he becomes CEO of AT&T.
    3. Vinod Khosla, an Indian-American immigrant, co-founded Sun Microsystems and became a billionaire.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    As I understand it, the American Dream is achieving success from humble beginnings through hard work. It's being able to buy the house with the white picket fence and providing a better future for your children.

It's on life support because of excessive, stifling government regulation and high taxes, but it's not dead.

Examples of the American Dream (From Amy Chua's "The Triple Package"):

1. Carlos Gutierrez immigrated to the USA from Cuba at age 6; he becomes the CEO of Kellogg.
    2. Ralph del la Vega immigrated to the USA from Cuba at age 10; he becomes CEO of AT&T.
    3. Vinod Khosla, an Indian-American immigrant, co-founded Sun Microsystems and became a billionaire.
    Well if the American dream is a rich man's paradise without any accountability besides what markets might provide on a good day then its obviously not something everyone can share in.

BTW how is that sort of "evidence" not simply cherry picked confirmation bias?