123 Last

Thread: Ladies' night

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Ladies' night

Oh, yes it's ladies' night, judge rules - CNN.com

Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum tossed the lawsuit out of federal court in Manhattan on Monday. She said nightclubs can price their products as they wish because they're not acting as representatives of the state.
    Would this judge have made the same ruling if the nightclub set their prices based on race?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    infp

ladies night isn't meant to discriminate against men, it's meant to help them by getting more ladies into the club so they can have more fun. It's sad that anyone would feel the need to start a lawsuit over such a silly thing, but it is the US and silly lawsuits are a speciality wot wot?

I also don't believe you can compare it to a race issue, since it's not motivated in the same way.

If a club had "White's night" it would hardly be to get more of us mutli coloured people in.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

I agree that it's not motivated the same way. More women = more business. To a degree, it's just an extension of the way clubs pay certain minor celebrities a fee just to come hang out at the club. Instead of getting paid, the women at ladies' night are just given a discount. I admit, it steams me sometimes, but I think it's legally defensible.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Would this judge have made the same ruling if the nightclub set their prices based on race?
    That may depend on which race gets the price break.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm not against this ruling. I don't think the government should have any say in the matter, whatsoever. I think the judge lied, though. I don't think she would rule the same, regardless of the situation. The US is so hypocritical with these sorts of issues. It would be okay to have a 'Black night', but not a 'White night'. It's not about equality, it's about settling scores.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Private organization = charge whatever people will pay, and do business with whomever you want. A private club should be able to admit only whites or only blacks or only Jews or whatever they want.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

The fascinating thing about this is that in all likelihood the female judge probably considers herself to be a Feminist, and the attorney is a self-reported Anti-feminist, when in fact, they both wanted the exact opposite of that based on the case filed and it's final ruling.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Private organization = charge whatever people will pay, and do business with whomever you want. A private club should be able to admit only whites or only blacks or only Jews or whatever they want.
    Lol, I actually kind of agree with this.

But perhaps I need to give it a bit more thought.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm not against this ruling. I don't think the government should have any say in the matter, whatsoever. I think the judge lied, though. I don't think she would rule the same, regardless of the situation. The US is so hypocritical with these sorts of issues. It would be okay to have a 'Black night', but not a 'White night'. It's not about equality, it's about settling scores.
    I think that's the implicit default in many cases. The places I go "tell" you whose night it is by the music they play. Stating such is illegal.

Ladies nights are to get more women to get more men to buy them drinks and thus make the club/bar more money.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Lol, I actually kind of agree with this.

But perhaps I need to give it a bit more thought.
    Well, it's an extreme freedom of association position, definitely. Still, I am always in favor of negative liberty (freedom from being forced to do something) over positive paternalism.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"