Thread: Ladies' night

Oberon

Oh... okay.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh... okay.
    -.-;; .. I'm just saying, if it had been a male judge throwing it out, would he have been so mad?

Mayhap we should all go on a crusade to make sure so many things are equal that kids pay for adult meals, old people that are limited in their diets and such should pay for their meals, and let's make sure that one place doesn't have cheaper prices than another so that we don't discriminate against store brands either.

Yes, I can see the coin where "Why is it, just because we're men, we have to pay full price?". But where I in ya'll shoes, I'd be more likely to say either "I don't care, buying a girl a drink is WAY less money for ME, and if I bring a date it's like getting 2 for 1 admission." OR "Fuck no, that place is too expensive. I don't care if Jessica Alba's in there."

I just don't think Ladies Night is a big-enough deal to warrant a lawsuit. I also don't think he should have blamed the STATE just because they give an establishment the right to sell liquor.

The fact remains the world is not equal, and never will have that Zero balance. We just do what we can.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    -.-;; .. I'm just saying, if it had been a male judge throwing it out, would he have been so mad?
    That doesn't enter it into at all.

Mayhap we should all go on a crusade to make sure so many things are equal that kids pay for adult meals, old people that are limited in their diets and such should pay for their meals, and let's make sure that one place doesn't have cheaper prices than another so that we don't discriminate against store brands either.

Yes, I can see the coin where "Why is it, just because we're men, we have to pay full price?". But where I in ya'll shoes, I'd be more likely to say either "I don't care, buying a girl a drink is WAY less money for ME, and if I bring a date it's like getting 2 for 1 admission." OR "Fuck no, that place is too expensive. I don't care if Jessica Alba's in there."

I just don't think Ladies Night is a big-enough deal to warrant a lawsuit. I also don't think he should have blamed the STATE just because they give an establishment the right to sell liquor.

The fact remains the world is not equal, and never will have that Zero balance. We just do what we can.

Prices should be whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. Period. If they were, we'd have no argument here, and these lawsuits would be summarily dismissed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That doesn't enter it into at all.
    "He called the judge a feminist and said her dismissal of his lawsuit was consistent with the discrimination embedded in many of America's institutions."

I think if they had used a male judge and came to the same agreement he wouldn't have felt so indignified... because.. well I do!

Prices should be whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. Period. If they were, we'd have no argument here, and these lawsuits would be summarily dismissed.
    Aren't they though? Maybe I'm entirely lost on that issue in and of itself.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Oberon

Oh, I'm not on the side of enforced balance... I'm on the side of free association. Power to the rugged individual to do business with whom he or she chooses, on whatever basis he or she chooses.

But it wasn't until after I read your half-page of explication that I understood that you were agreeing with me.

MBTI
    ESFJ

"He called the judge a feminist and said her dismissal of his lawsuit was consistent with the discrimination embedded in many of America's institutions."

I think if they had used a male judge and came to the same agreement he wouldn't have felt so indignified... because.. well I do!
    Let me rephrase: "Just because that guy is a douche doesn't mean the judge's gender enters into it at all."

Aren't they though? Maybe I'm entirely lost on that issue in and of itself.
    Sadly, no. There are laws about how cheap or expensive you can sell haircuts, cigarettes, alcohol, housing. . . Also, try to have a "Whites Only Night" or "Whites 50% Night" at a bar sometime and see if the local government lets you get away with it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Yeah intent isn't at all relevant in a discussion about what constitutes discrimination, you're right.
    The judge said businesses can price their products as they see fit because they're not 'representatives of the state'. I'd love it if that were the truth, but it's bullshit. There's no way she would make the same ruling if this was dealing with race. (it's annoying having to repeat myself)

I didn't see anything about the judge calling this an issue of discrimination. The only people I see talking about discrimination are in this thread.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The only people I see talking about discrimination are in this thread.
    You don't see me!

[peers anxiously between the blinds]

MBTI
    ESFJ

BTW, I feel the same way about Ladies' Nights as I did about frat parties in college where it was $5 for guys and free for girls: they're completely lame, because you are basically saying, "We can't get chicks here any other way besides free booze."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The only people I see talking about discrimination are in this thread.
    Try reading the first sentence of the article.

Btw, nightclubs discriminate against black people too...though it's less overt than the "whities night" label. They use dress codes.
    I don't wanna!