User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Ladies' night

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The exact equivalent would be making a cover $10 for black people, but $5 for white people, because you want more white people to show up.
    No! It's not the same at all because white people don't go to bars less than black people and black people don't necessarily go to bars to meet white people. It's price based on a discrepancy in demand not some inconsequential characteristic. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    No! It's not the same at all because white people don't go to bars less than black people and black people don't necessarily go to bars to meet white people. It's price based on a discrepancy in demand not some inconsequential characteristic. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand.
    It's generally based on profit motive, and there are other reasons why someone would price discriminate based on certain characteristics ("Kids Eat Free," "senior citizen discount," et al.). However, it could be any number of things: the bar owner is a lech, and wants more women around in the hopes of getting laid. Or, conversely, he is a sweet, gentle man, and he wants less drunk, potentially violent men around and a more inviting atmosphere for women. In other words. . .

IT WOULD BE LIKE CHARGING DIFFERENT PRICES IN THE HOPES OF ATTRACTING A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE. You know, exactly what I just wrote?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

Actually, I'm fairly sure in the past, the racial makeup of the bar would affect those that would be willing to go to the establishment. I see no reason why this couldn't be true in the present too. That's why the discrimination laws were useful.

The reason why it is fairer is because there is a 'deadweight' loss present, sure. That is, if people only go to meet up, then the ratio should be ideal. Less women, less men and therefore less net utility for men and women trying to meet up.

But that could be applied to race as well, I realised...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post

IT WOULD BE LIKE CHARGING DIFFERENT PRICES IN THE HOPES OF ATTRACTING A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE. You know, exactly what I just wrote?
    Well yes, this situation is like that. Exactly. Except discriminatory prices usually refer to CHARGING DIFFERENT PRICES IN THE HOPES OF DETRACTING A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE. No one is being detracted here except this one guy. If more people were being detracted, the ladies night concept would have been abandoned long ago.

Admittedly I'm making lots of fine logical distinctions here. But enough so that I think one could be in favor of ladies night and against whities night without being a hypocrite.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

THE MORE YOU GUYS TALK LIKE THIS, THE MORE I AGREE WITH YOUR POINT.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well yes, this situation is like that. Exactly. Except discriminatory prices usually refer to CHARGING DIFFERENT PRICES IN THE HOPES OF DETRACTING A CERTAIN GROUP OF PEOPLE. No one is being detracted here except this one guy. If more people were being detracted, the ladies night concept would have been abandoned long ago.
    This guy obviously has an ax to grind. Still, changing different prices can be used to attract people, as well. Charging more for something can actually increase demand, if you are targeting a certain demographic (the more conspicuous consumption-inclined wealthy). Look at the scotch that is $3,300 a dram at the Borgata in Atlantic City. They could charge far less (I believe a fifth of this Macallan goes for around $15,000), but it's priced higher because the people who would get it want to spend more and have people know it. "European bottle service" is based on this. No one in his or her right mind would spend $280 on a bottle of Skyy vodka, yet people do in clubs all the time.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Admittedly I'm making lots of fine logical distinctions here. But enough so that I think one could be in favor of ladies night and against whities night without being a hypocrite.
    I think you and disregard are making perfect sense.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think the lawsuit is bogus, and should have been thrown out. Club works like this: Guys want girls, so they go to clubs to get girls . (whoever goes to a club for liquor is a dumbass.) Girls go to clubs because there is Ladies night. Because lots of girls go there on those special nights, lots of guys go, club prospers. Both genders get in for half the price, but the quantity exceeds the discounts on ladies so everyone's happy. Except gay guys, who get no discount.

Clubs should be able to discriminate as they please.. because it is a private business, though I don't think many do because they wouldn't get business... so if anyone wants to put up with all that SO badly just to exclude someone, have at it. They won't get my money though.

If the subject WERE over discriminating race instead of gender.. I would question why anyone would want to go to a place and give them your money if they dislike you enough to bother excluding you? (I know this isn't the attitude to have in general.. but for this particular instance.. I think a better way would be to boycott it, and grapevine it's ways so its business goes to zilch.) There are clubs where you can't wear certain things, and I don't go there because I don't like being told what to wear when I go out to have a good time. Maybe it is nice, but I say nay and if my friends go there, I go elsewhere.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Oberon

So another fem weighs in for only objecting to the discrimination she finds personally distasteful...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So another fem weighs in for only objecting to the discrimination she finds personally distasteful...
    I think discrimination at a private establishment is acceptable. Why should 60 year old people eat the same food for less at IHOP? It doesn't bother me at all. If they told me I couldn't go to a place because I was a woman, I just wouldn't go. I wouldn't be pissed about it, if I'm not wanted there, I'm not going to throw a tantrum just to get into a place no one wants me at.. that's sorta retarded.

If the subject were race, I'm just saying I don't think they'd stand too much of a chance of being successful.

Discrimination, one way or another, won't satisfy everyone on current standing laws because laws are made to appease the masses, not everyone. As it stands, we had a problem with racial discrimination in America, so the subject is more sensitive when it comes to things like excluding race.

It seems the only one truly upset about this is this one man filing the lawsuit.

Men's section sells jeans for less than the women's section even though we tend to use thinner material, less cloth in total, etc, and I saw no lawsuit bitching about that. If we bitched about every little discrimination that existed, the lawsuits would clog up the system and prevent real issues from being solved.

How much a woman pays at the door and gets a drink doesn't bother me. NOR would it bother me if men got in for free and we had to pay full price. If I wanted to go, I'd pay it. If it pissed me off, I wouldn't attend. We can't be so fickle that smaller issues like this blow up.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge