User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Ladies' night

  1. #11
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm not against this ruling. I don't think the government should have any say in the matter, whatsoever. I think the judge lied, though. I don't think she would rule the same, regardless of the situation. The US is so hypocritical with these sorts of issues. It would be okay to have a 'Black night', but not a 'White night'. It's not about equality, it's about settling scores.
    Although I agree that businesses should be allowed to discriminate, you are pretty much wrong on everything else. A "Ladies Night" price for women is not discriminatory against men like "white night" would be discriminatory against black people. It is actually designed to make the bar scene better for men and women by lowering the price to increase the demand among women and therefore making it less of a sausage factory for men.
    I don't wanna!

  2. #12
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Although I agree that businesses should be allowed to discriminate, you are pretty much wrong on everything else. A "Ladies Night" price for women is not discriminatory against men like "white night" would be discriminatory against black people. It is actually designed to make the bar scene better for men and women by lowering the price to increase the demand among women and therefore making it less of a sausage factory for men.
    The exact equivalent would be making a cover $10 for black people, but $5 for white people, because you want more white people to show up. It's price discrimination either way, but that should be legal provided there isn't bait-and-switch/fraud/contract-breaking going on.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #13
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The exact equivalent would be making a cover $10 for black people, but $5 for white people, because you want more white people to show up. It's price discrimination either way, but that should be legal provided there isn't bait-and-switch/fraud/contract-breaking going on.
    No, that is not the exact equivalent, because black people don't, as a general rule, go to clubs to meet white people.

  4. #14
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    No, that is not the exact equivalent, because black people don't, as a general rule, go to clubs to meet white people.
    It's not about the people who show up. It's about the owners of the club trying to reach a different demographic.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #15
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    No, that is not the exact equivalent, because black people don't, as a general rule, go to clubs to meet white people.
    Why does that change things? If it were true, why would it legitimize sex discrimination?

  6. #16
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Why does that change things? If it were true, why would it legitimize sex discrimination?
    It changes things because, as booyalab said,
    It is actually designed to make the bar scene better for men and women by lowering the price to increase the demand among women and therefore making it less of a sausage factory for men.
    It's designed to encourage overall satisfaction for both sexes, not to suit the club owner's sexist proclivities.

  7. #17
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    It changes things because, as booyalab said,


    It's designed to encourage overall satisfaction for both sexes, not to suit the club owner's sexist proclivities.
    A) You don't know that; and B) you can't make legislation based on guessing people's motivations for their business practices. That is why hate crime laws are unconstitutional prima facie. Besides, an owner may be concerned that different theme nights at his or her place are getting to be too monochromatic. Jazz clubs tend to be full of old white people nowadays. Maybe they want to encourage younger black people to attend by changing the drink specials or having more eclectic music?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #18
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Although I agree that businesses should be allowed to discriminate, you are pretty much wrong on everything else. A "Ladies Night" price for women is not discriminatory against men like "white night" would be discriminatory against black people. It is actually designed to make the bar scene better for men and women by lowering the price to increase the demand among women and therefore making it less of a sausage factory for men.
    When did you start caring about intent? I don't think intent is relevant to this issue, at all.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #19
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    It's designed to encourage overall satisfaction for both sexes, not to suit the club owner's sexist proclivities.
    So what you're saying is that it's not discrimination that you oppose per se, but just discrimination on any basis you don't personally agree with?

  10. #20
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When did you start caring about intent? I don't think intent is relevant to this issue, at all.
    Yeah intent isn't at all relevant in a discussion about what constitutes discrimination, you're right.
    I don't wanna!

Similar Threads

  1. Morning Person or Night Owl?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
  2. Friday/Saturday Nights @ MBTIc
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 02:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO