User Tag List

123 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default media bias and consumer vote

I'm going to ask a potentially stupid question about media bias. Why hasn't consumer vote leveled the field, or at least created a correlate demand? Aren't news sources as ruled by consumer vote as any business?

Has anyone seen any interesting explanation for this, in editorials or books?

(I asked basically this same thing in another thread. Hopefully if it's posted under its own title, it'll get more bites.)
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Permabanned

What are you asking? Maybe people don't answer your question because they are not exactly sure what you are asking. Level the playing field? The media is over run by cry baby liberals who like to slander the conservatives/republicans. The media is not supposed to be what they think is true. It's supposed to report facts whether people like to hear certain facts or not and the media has been shoving their opinions on what they think down viewers' throats. I'd trust a conservative channel over a liberal one just because the liberals never have anything good to say about a Republican president so like I would trust them to report accurate facts.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is kind of like claiming Breibart is an independent news outlet when all they are is the media arm of one conservative family, much like Fox, which isn't independent either. Propaganda news sources aren't going to be beholden to consumer anything, liberal or conservative. They're only beholden to advertising dollars. None have any incentive to deliver news itself, they have an incentive to spread their world views. Even One America News, which is different from any other US news is taking advertising dollars. They're still reporting the news minus much editorial content. We'll see how long that lasts.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Floki liked this post

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    This is kind of like claiming Breibart is an independent news outlet when all they are is the media arm of one conservative family, much like Fox, which isn't independent either. Propaganda news sources aren't going to be beholden to consumer anything, liberal or conservative. They're only beholden to advertising dollars. None have any incentive to deliver news itself, they have an incentive to spread their world views. Even One America News, which is different from any other US news is taking advertising dollars. They're still reporting the news minus much editorial content. We'll see how long that lasts.
    But, what are advertisers beholden to?

That said, I don't disagree with your conclusion--to assume that consumers want the whole truth may be inaccurate. There are plenty of lures falsehood generates.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

--Theodore Roosevelt

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

--Friedrich Nietzche

I have a Johari again

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Relic View Post
    But, what are advertisers beholden to?

That said, I don't disagree with your conclusion--to assume that consumers want the whole truth may be inaccurate. There are plenty of lures falsehood generates.
    Bill O'Reilly had the #1 rated cable news show. I'm assuming he had a lot of viewers. If I was an advertiser, I would look for the biggest bang for my advertising buck so Bill O'Reilly is it. Or was. That has very little to do with world views. Until the consumers started contacting the advertisers and putting pressure on them to yank their commercials, Fox and Bill O'Reilly's world view was completely irrelevant. It still is. I don't assume consumers want the whole truth. Not the majority anyway. They want someone to validate their world view.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Bill O'Reilly had the #1 rated cable news show. I'm assuming he had a lot of viewers. If I was an advertiser, I would look for the biggest bang for my advertising buck so Bill O'Reilly is it. Or was. That has very little to do with world views. Until the consumers started contacting the advertisers and putting pressure on them to yank their commercials, Fox and Bill O'Reilly's world view was completely irrelevant. It still is.
    Well that's exactly it though. Advertisers are ultimately beholden to consumers, because if the consumers decide not to view a thing, or to act against a thing, then the advertisers won't get new revenue and won't see a point in advertising there. Consumers are affected by worldview, so advertisers are also.

But, it's not the best worldview but the most popular.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

--Theodore Roosevelt

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

--Friedrich Nietzche

I have a Johari again

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn Relic View Post
    Well that's exactly it though. Advertisers are ultimately beholden to consumers, because if the consumers decide not to view a thing, or to act against a thing, then the advertisers won't get new revenue and won't see a point in advertising there. Consumers are affected by worldview, so advertisers are also.

But, it's not the best worldview but the most popular.
    Yes the advertisers are beholden to consumers. Not news sources. Nothing changes about the news sources and you could also argue - why did nothing happen to Bill O'Reilly until last week? I personally think that him being fired had more to do with the comments he made about Maxine Waters than the women at Fox. Fox isn't going to suffer ramifications from Bill O'Reilly being fired. All they need to do is tell their viewers that he was railroaded by the liberal media/Democrats. They'll buy that, it's their two favorite topics.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate
    Why hasn't consumer vote leveled the field, or at least created a correlate demand? Aren't news sources as ruled by consumer vote as any business?
    The market forces do determine success and failure in talk radio because advertising dollars matter most, but with network and cable tv news, market forces matter less because these news shows are backed by powerful leftist corporations like General Electric(NBC), Time Warner(CNN), and Disney(ABC). Why doesn't consumer demand matter with cable news? It's because these networks are run by leftist zealots with an agenda; they're more than willing to take a loss if it advances their cause. MSNBC would not be in business if the network cared about profit.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    The market forces do determine success and failure in talk radio because advertising dollars matter most, but with network and cable tv news, market forces matter less because these news shows are backed by powerful leftist corporations like General Electric(NBC), Time Warner(CNN), and Disney(ABC). Why doesn't consumer demand matter with cable news? It's because these networks are run by leftist zealots with an agenda; they're more than willing to take a loss if it advances their cause. MSNBC would not be in business if the network cared about profit.
    So you're saying you believe that the leftist zealots who run network and cable TV news are all more concerned with spreading their agenda than making money?

And there isn't anyone with enough money to start their own TV news which would otherwise match a rightist world view, to cash in on that (seemingly) dire need?

I mean, I agree with above sentiments that people tend to watch that which affirms their already existing world view. And whatever gets watched the most is what the advertisers pay most to support. I'm not suggesting "consumer vote" is a conscious, mindful kind of voting. It's definitely the downward spiral result of collective autopilot- but then, that's how consumer voting usually plays out. It doesn't choose the healthiest option, it's not the result of what we 'should' watch, it's the result of what we 'do' watch.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate
    So you're saying you believe that the leftist zealots who run network and cable TV news are all more concerned with spreading their agenda than making money?
    Pretty much.

CNN, CBS News, ABC News Honchos Have Obama Administration Family Ties

David Rhoades, the current president of CBS News, is the brother of Ben Rhoades, a White House national security advisor.
    Claire Shipman, a senior national correspondent at ABC News, is married to no other than Jay Carney, the White House Press Secretary.
    If those ties between the Obama White House and ABC News aren’t disturbing enough, the president of ABC News, Ben Sherwood, is brother to Dr. Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, a special advisor to Barack Obama.
    When consumer demand dictates success and failure, as in talk radio, leftists can't compete. The most dominant voices on talk radio: Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, and Savage all lean right.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.