User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 21

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default "Green" Energy Fails To Make The Grade

    Last January, Germany could have suffered severe power blackouts if only one power plant had gone off-line.

    Germany Facing Mass Blackouts Due To Wind And Solar Power | The Daily Caller

    No wind and no sunlight = no electricity.

    The state next door to mine has installed huge wind turbines on all the mountaintops in a certain area. We can see them as we drive west on the freeway. I don't know how effective they are, but there have always been some turning and others sitting dormant with no wind blowing from the proper direction.

    There are other windmill designs which supposedly work better than the traditional design, such as this vertical design:



    But there's only so much that can be done with zero wind flow.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

  2. #2

    Default

    What's going to happen that there's no wind and sunlight?

    If there's no wind and sunlight then I would say that electricity is the least of our problems.

    Anyway, the Scots have last year been able to create enough energy from wind power to power the entire country without any need for any other fuel source, if the english hadnt blocked plans for off shore turbines (which would also have used wave power to generate power) because english voters dont like that sort of thing, then they would have not only been able to create this amount of power but to generate between 30% and 50% surplus.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

    A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What's going to happen that there's no wind and sunlight?

    If there's no wind and sunlight then I would say that electricity is the least of our problems.

    Anyway, the Scots have last year been able to create enough energy from wind power to power the entire country without any need for any other fuel source, if the english hadnt blocked plans for off shore turbines (which would also have used wave power to generate power) because english voters dont like that sort of thing, then they would have not only been able to create this amount of power but to generate between 30% and 50% surplus.
    That was last summer, with plenty of wind and sunshine. Germany's shortage occurred in January. How well did Scotland fare in the same month?
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    That was last summer, with plenty of wind and sunshine. Germany's shortage occurred in January. How well did Scotland fare in the same month?
    Last summer? Are you kidding? It was the findings of an entire year's out put.

    I'm not convinced that this story about Germany isnt fake news for people with a hard on for hating green resources and politics, the Germans are at the cutting edge of new energy production and integration, solar panels are not additional features there for instance but integrated in standard roofing surfaces or windows, in the future business districts or skyscrapers will be self-sufficient in power generation, the only other nation which has shown the same interest has been Japan, understandably because they import most of their power resources in the form of finite fossil fuels.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

    A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Last summer? Are you kidding? It was the findings of an entire year's out put.

    I'm not convinced that this story about Germany isnt fake news for people with a hard on for hating green resources and politics, the Germans are at the cutting edge of new energy production and integration, solar panels are not additional features there for instance but integrated in standard roofing surfaces or windows, in the future business districts or skyscrapers will be self-sufficient in power generation, the only other nation which has shown the same interest has been Japan, understandably because they import most of their power resources in the form of finite fossil fuels.
    Ok, so you still don't have January's results for us. I'm comparing the January results from Scotland versus Germany.

    Japan developing alternative power sources is understandable. But it doesn't explain Germany.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

  6. #6
    Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Few thoughts:

    1. Are hybrid plants a possibility here? In other words, plants that use coal for some of it and solar for other parts?
    2. Are Germans using largely fluorescent and LED bulbs. It wouldn't be enough possibly but it'd at least make it more tenable
    3. Was that day especially cloudy or was there extra strain?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

    --Theodore Roosevelt


    “Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

    --Friedrich Nietzche

    I have a Johari again

  7. #7
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    I can't think of any good reason why we shouldn't be able to generate all the electrical energy we need without combustion.

    Mechanical and kinetic energy, though...yeah I want my controlled explosions.

  8. #8
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    16,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Last January, Germany could have suffered severe power blackouts if only one power plant had gone off-line.

    Germany Facing Mass Blackouts Due To Wind And Solar Power | The Daily Caller

    No wind and no sunlight = no electricity.

    The state next door to mine has installed huge wind turbines on all the mountaintops in a certain area. We can see them as we drive west on the freeway. I don't know how effective they are, but there have always been some turning and others sitting dormant with no wind blowing from the proper direction.

    There are other windmill designs which supposedly work better than the traditional design, such as this vertical design:

    But there's only so much that can be done with zero wind flow.
    That is why, when it comes to energy resources, it is unwise to put all our eggs in one (or even two or three) baskets. Every kW coming from wind or solar when the weather is suitable, though, is that much less that needs to come from somewhere else. Eventually energy storage technology may make it possible to bank much more of that energy than we can now.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #9
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,700

    Default

    The article is utterly fake news. It references a german company that doesnt even exist and I never heard about a power shortage. Truth is there is a huge trade in the EU on the energy market. If we had a shortage here, we'ld buy from France, they have like 70 atomic power plants plus.

    The truth is not that green energy isnt working. The truth is, the energy companies cant earn money with it. And people have the chance to become independent from energy companies, cause they can self-supply their homes. That energy companies dont want. Tho they do switch off atomic power plants, slowly, cause they must, they rebuild new coal power plants, cause you can earn more money with them, than with green energy. And the politics aint doing enough against it, cause those companies have huge lobbies in the government.

    You really should double-check your news sources and not believe every fake news like a 13 year old !

  10. #10

    Default

    Just build like a really giant yuge cell phone battery and charge it up on sunny/windy days. Problem solved

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO