User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Why do neo-conservatives (purported or otherwise) and right-wing Christians recieve more hate than either? For that matter, I've heard more hate directed at Sarah Palin recently than at Nambla or PETA. Also, how is NAMBLA any less antithetical to the self-image of typical Americans than PETA is? We have repeatedly demonstrated our willingness to compromise cherished principles in order to protect children from pedophiles.

To more directly answer your question, headlines remind people of a hated group's existence, so you spend more time than you might otherwise hating on the group in question. The more time you spend hating something, the more likely you are to remember it, and the more likely that that hatred will expand beyond rational proportions.
    I think it has to do with that whole "moral high ground" thing some Christians, mainly evangelists, have going on.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't find it appropriate at all. Quite inappropriate and unjustified actually. But I can't help what I find amusing.

You're a fan of South Park right, do you not laugh when they make fun of unfortunate people? Retards, starving kids in Africa, Romanians....
    Nope. I hate South Park, actually. *shrugs* It doesn't appeal to my sense of humor.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Clay Aiken is not a criminal activist organization though, important to remember that.
    I'll be sure to lock my doors and hide in a corner next time I hear PETA is coming to town lol.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't find it appropriate at all. Quite inappropriate and unjustified actually. But I can't help what I find amusing.

You're a fan of South Park right, do you not laugh when they make fun of unfortunate people? Retards, starving kids in Africa, Romanians....
    Yeah...I don't know if you realized this or not, but South Park isn't real. It's a satirical cartoon. You do realize the difference between a cartoon and assaulting a real person, right?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Nope. I hate South Park, actually. *shrugs* It doesn't appeal to my sense of humor.
    Well... if just having a sardonic sense of humor makes me an asshole, so be it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yeah...I don't know if you realized this or not, but South Park isn't real. It's a satirical cartoon.
    Lat, goddammit, you're a genius.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Well... if just having a sardonic sense of humor makes me an asshole, so be it.
    I didn't say that you're an asshole for liking South Park. I would say that I'm just odd for not liking it, really. *shrugs*

As Lat pointed out, South Park is fiction. Those are real people getting assaulted. I don't see the comparison.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Lat, goddammit, you're a genius.
    That's not relevant. What matters is whether or not you understand the significance of the distinction.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's not relevant. What matters is whether or not you understand the significance of the distinction.
    I think you misunderstood that post. I simply wanted to find out if she found humor in dark matters.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    As Lat pointed out, South Park is fiction. Those are real people getting assaulted. I don't see the comparison.
    And SP makes fun of real people starving in Africa. I'm not comparing the two events concerning anything but sardonic humor.