User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do people learn to read?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because it's necessary to function in our society

12 54.55%
  • Because you're required to learn in school

2 9.09%
  • Other (explain)

8 36.36%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think most people learn the basics merely because it's necessary to function in our society. I learned because I was curious and wanted to gain access to the sleeping knowledge hidden in the symbols. I learned when I was 3, but I have not mastered it yet.
    Exactly. If we didn't need it, it wouldn't be thrown at us so young in life. No one is taught quantum physics as a child, because you tend to learn it on your own. It's not a BASIC requirement to excel in society.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Some people are just compelled to read by their curiosity. I remember when I lived in Kenya I would always be curious to learn from adults so I apparently had a pretty extensive grasp of the local dialect and little to no understanding of English(verbally or orally) because it wasn't necessary for furthering my understanding at the time. When I moved to England without any formal teaching I learned a lot of the basics by my own will, not because it was imposed on me.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTP

Ask the 4-6 year olds who are currently in the process of learning how to read. I don't think any of them would reply "because it's necessary to function in society".
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Ask the 4-6 year olds who are currently in the process of learning how to read. I don't think any of them would reply "because it's necessary to function in society".
    So what? They may not fully understand the causes behind their education.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

99% of the time people learn to read because they're taught by someone else. I fail to see how this is misunderstood. I don't remember learning to read, I was very young.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Because it became my intention to take over the world. So it helps to be able to read road signs, blah blah blah...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It assumes that the understanding children have about the circumstances under which they learn to read determines the outcome of the question. That's not true.

The question asked why people learn to read. The superficial answer, reading the question literally, is that it's not a choice at all, so the question doesn't make sense. Great. I think a little bit of intuition suggests that the question is asking why people are taught to read, since a whopping majority of people don't ever choose. Maybe lab was being funny. (Trying.)

MBTI
    infp

I said B, but I should have said C.

We do it because we are forced to in school, and we are forced to in school because it is neccesary to function in society, and we are unconcious of it's importance at the time so none of that matters.

So bassically we do it for shits and giggles, I guess.

Default Understanding

Almost all of us learn to read because we are forced to.

The invention of the printing press in the fifteenth century led to the dream of universal literacy.

But it was only when the State introduced free, compulsory and secular education that universal literacy was achieved - and only in affluent countries, particularly in the West.

Everyone learns to speak their own language naturally and intuitively at home, but to learn to read and write we are compelled by State Law to attend special State institutions with specially trained staff.

And as we learn to read and write, we learn the habits of counter-intuitive thought.

And counter intuitive thinking is essential for understanding modern science, modern economics and modern politics.

In fact counter-intuitive thinking is necessary to understand the modern world.

And this is why we learn to read and write - to understand the modern world around us.

For instance we learn to read and write to understand Astronomy rather than astrology.

We learn to read and write to understand the Origin of Species rather than creationism.

And we learn to read and write to understand Psychology rather than the pseudo psychology of MBTI.

So we learn to read and write in order to understand ourselves and the world around us.

But the immediate problem is that astrology, creationism and MBTI make us feel good intuitively, while Astronomy, The Origin of Species and Psychology require us to think and understand - and this is hard work but immensely satisfying and immensely rewarding.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    So bassically we do it for shits and giggles, I guess.
    Why else ought we do anything?