User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do people learn to read?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because it's necessary to function in our society

12 54.55%
  • Because you're required to learn in school

2 9.09%
  • Other (explain)

8 36.36%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I learned to read (well), because reading is fun and I'm a process-oriented person. Otherwise, my reading skills would be about as good as my foreign language skills...and the only thing I remember from my Spanish classes is that el clase es muy abburido (sp). I learned to read remedially because of parental and societal socialization.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Literacy is mostly a 20th century thing. And you have so many forums of literacy like cultural literacy, technological literacy, media literacy, etc. Information is at such a high turnover rate (what you knew five years ago to be true may be disproven today) that being contemporarily literate is willingness to constantly be learning. Being able to read is just the minimum. Reading comprehension, critical reading and thinking skills are so important know because of the sheer volume of information we have to sort through.

Three hundred years ago being able to read was a sign of your socioeconomic status in America. Most people didn't need to know how to read because knowing how wasn't a requirement for most daily activities although it's always been a bonus. We all know knowledge is power. Denying people the privilege of literacy is a denial of the most basic tools of empowerment. When people get education and are aware of their rights they know how to fight back.

Why I learned to read? Because I had too. I actually liked reading though so just because it was compulsory before doesn't mean it can't evolve to something else. Being illiterate today is consignment to a life of mental and physical poverty. Although I guess it depends on your culture because some cultures have very rich oral, pictorial, craft traditions. Knowledge is transmitted in those forms so reading isn't as necessary. So I guess it basically depends on how literacy is defined in your culture. If you live in a culture that is highly dependent of knowledge being transmitted in written form (e.g. right now communicating on this forum) and being deemed an intelligent person is contingent upon the fact that you know how to read, then reading is fundamental.
    Would you have learned to read if it wasn't compulsory?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Reading is pretty necissary if you want to do much in society- from getting a job, getting a drivers license, reading the bus schedule or figuring out how to prepare what you bought from the grociery store. Unless you have someone going around with you reading everything outloud for you, your SOL if you can't read.

I learned to read for the same reason YLJ did- I wanted to hear what was in the book but my parents lost the patience in reading everything that I wanted to hear, so they taught me to read (my mom is an elementary school teacher- that came in useful!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why? Most people don't choose to learn to read themselves. It's a decision that's made on their behalf when they're young because of tradition, necessity (it's usefulness), peer pressure, and I'd imagine because it serves as a vehicle for parents to bond with their kids (which ties back into tradition).

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Would you have learned to read if it wasn't compulsory?
    It's like getting a high school diploma to me, you're much better off with it than without it. Chicken or the egg. Did I learn to like reading because I could or would I have wanted to learn if I didn't have to? I think at such a young age it wasn't a decision I would've known how to make. If I were older and presented with the opportunity of learning to read (and I lived in a society where illiteracy would be detrimental) then yes, I would learn.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

First of all for the post I feel its needed to properly function in our society, and it has become a thing that most people take for granted, but it truly is in America.

But personaly I feel its a start to a greater path, knowledge is power and with out the ability to read im already more powerful than someone who cant.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I personally learnt to read exclusively by myself when I was 3 y and 6 m old*brags* because my mother sometimes was tired to recount me stories before going to bed: thus, I decided to do it myself.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

To annoy Americans on the internet.

Only joking, what Mademoiselle Whatever said:

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Reading is pretty necissary if you want to do much in society- from getting a job, getting a drivers license, reading the bus schedule or figuring out how to prepare what you bought from the grociery store. Unless you have someone going around with you reading everything outloud for you, your SOL if you can't read.

I learned to read for the same reason YLJ did- I wanted to hear what was in the book but my parents lost the patience in reading everything that I wanted to hear, so they taught me to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

You're TOLD to read when young generally because later on you'll need it in society to function and excel.

I know here in America we were founded upon ideals of being self-reliant, and learning the skills and trades necessary to soar to your potentials and limits. Reading is a very big part of being able to succeed in America, so naturally your parents and schools force you to learn it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think most people learn the basics merely because it's necessary to function in our society. I learned because I was curious and wanted to gain access to the sleeping knowledge hidden in the symbols. I learned when I was 3, but I have not mastered it yet.