User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I thought universal health care was supposed to make sure incidents like these never took place. This stuff only happens in the US.

Man's death in Winnipeg ER 'preventable': chief medical examiner
    Heh. Not hardly. Typical wait in an emergency room can be 2-6 hours. I never waited that long for emergency treatment in the States. Instead of triage-ing in the logical way (worst assessment = fastest treatment), the local hospital here seems to work on a first come, first serve basis, unless the patient comes in an ambulance.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Heh. Not hardly. Typical wait in an emergency room can be 2-6 hours. I never waited that long for emergency treatment in the States. Instead of triage-ing in the logical way (worst assessment = fastest treatment), the local hospital here seems to work on a first come, first serve basis, unless the patient comes in an ambulance.
    Are you aware of Harper making health care budget cuts?

A universal health care system is only as good as the number of doctors/nurses they hire and hospitals they build.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    "Prior to its dissolution the USSR had the second largest economy in the world after the United States"

Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That is completely and totally wrong. And I've read the "Economy of the Soviet Union" one, too. Also ridiculous. I have noticed a concerted attempt to slant information on wikipedia in the past year or so, and this is another attempt. I am pretty close to stopping referring to wikipedia for anything political or historical at this point.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    xNTJ

Are you aware of Harper making health care budget cuts?

A universal health care system is only as good as the number of doctors/nurses they hire and hospitals they build.
    Are you aware that this 2-6 hour wait was also before Harper? I live in it. I haven't seen any impact to the quality of health care received. I was waiting for 2-6 hours under Martin and Chretien, too.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is completely and totally wrong. And I've read the "Economy of the Soviet Union" one, too. Also ridiculous. I have noticed a concerted attempt to slant information on wikipedia in the past year or so, and this is another attempt. I am pretty close to stopping referring to wikipedia for anything political or historical at this point.
    Slant information? I believe it was the 1990 CIA world factbook that says it, that's what wiki cites.

What's your source saying they weren't the 2nd largest? The WND.com commentary section?

MBTI
    xNTJ

"Prior to its dissolution the USSR had the second largest economy in the world after the United States"

Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You realize that Wiki is only as good of a resource as its writers, correct?

The fact that it can (and often is) very easily be wrong is exactly why it is not acceptable to use as a source in anything academic.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    You realize that Wiki is only as good of a resource as its writers, correct?

The fact that it can (and often is) very easily be wrong is exactly why it is not acceptable to use as a source in anything academic.
    Again, the quote is from the CIA World Factbook.

http://www.umsl.edu/services/govdocs...90/world12.txt

MBTI
    ESFJ

Slant information? I believe it was the 1990 CIA world factbook that says it, that's what wiki cites.

What's your source saying they weren't the 2nd largest? The WND.com commentary section?
    Did you not see when I said that the CIA regularly overestimated the size of the Soviet economy in the 1970s just a few minutes ago? Documentation released post-Soviet collapse proves that they lied about production levels, and our intelligence was bad (it happens a lot, doesn't it?). Seriously, their economy was less than 1/3rd the size of the United States'. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's true.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

ajblaise,

China has a larger economy than Switzerland. However, a better indicator of a country's well-being is something like GDP per capita. China comes in at about $12,000, whereas Switzerland at about $55,000.

The USSR would have had a large economy simply because it has an abundance of natural resources, and a huge population. What the size of the economy doesn't tell you is how well the average person was doing, or how much corruption and waste there is. For example, in the USSR, the black market was huge, and accounted for a great deal of its economic activity--despite central planning, not because of it.

Russia and its people were almost destroyed by the conceit of central planners.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Did you not see when I said that the CIA regularly overestimated the size of the Soviet economy in the 1970s just a few minutes ago? Documentation released post-Soviet collapse proves that they lied about production levels, and our intelligence was bad (it happens a lot, doesn't it?). Seriously, their economy was less than 1/3rd the size of the United States'. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's true.
    1970's? This is from 1990.

Show some of your sources.