User Tag List

First 2101112

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Our health care system is not only plagued by financial problems. I've worked in both a private and a government-owned hospital and if you knew half the stuff that goes on behind the scenes you wouldn't want any health care at all. . .
    I work at an ophthalmology hospital, so I never see anything gruesome, but the majority of the administration is idiotic.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I work at an ophthalmology hospital, so I never see anything gruesome, but the majority of the administration is idiotic.
    Some of them are mad, some are "idiotic," many are chemically dependent and there are those who are so money-focussed they've forgotten the Hippocratic Oath. The rest are hard-working, dedicated, well-educated folks who fight every day to keep their focus on the mission while chaos and staff shortage problems reign.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Whose actions have shown them to be for smaller government?
    People who never ran for office, went about their business, were good neighbors, and paid their own way.

MBTI
    INFP

I think so too. Unfortunately those who would govern best aren't interested in playing the politics game. My thought.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    infp

It doesn't seem so much that it's due to an underfunded system (although the system is a bit underfunded and needs more doctors), it's just that a homeless man passing out in the corner is less likely to get noticed as families coming in with a kid with broken limbs or car crash victims or whatever -people who can talk or have others to speak for them). This homeless guy just got dropped off and no one could really report him.

Really sad incident though, and we really do need more doctors regardless of why it happened (and I don't believe this incident was caused by lack of doctors, or else there would have been other people waiting 34 hours, too, and to my knowledge there weren't). We need more medical schools or soemthing, I don't know... there are a tonne of qualified people who want to be doctors but there aren't enough spots in the schools.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    We need more medical schools or soemthing, I don't know... there are a tonne of qualified people who want to be doctors but there aren't enough spots in the schools.
    Is that how you guys spell it? "Tonne?" I always have a hard time with Canadian spelling, since some words are spelled British and some are spelled American. I think that's why I said "fuck it", and stuck with spelling American, like I'd been taught.

But in all seriousness, UNBC is working on that. In the last couple of years, they've opened a Northern Medical Program, designed to train up some doctors for northern BC and the territories.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INFP

As I think of it, I can offer some advice here.

We recently had a family member put on life support and, since he was an adult and we had no power of attorney, we were not given any information on what had happened so it was difficult to provide staff with relevant information which may have helped save a life.

The nurse was very upset about it and made the comment that someone was going to die because of the new extra tight confidentiality laws which have been passed.

We were also upset because we were totally in the dark about what had happened to our loved one.

Since then we have learned that all people who have caring ties should get power of attorney forms on each other and fill them out to avoid finding themselves in this helpless situation.

They can be obtained through a hospital social worker and notarized for a very small fee at a notary public office.

Word up.

Well, that's unless you don't trust your loved ones with your bank account!