MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Image:Us federal spending(4).png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a wikipedia citation about which I am fairly confident.
    I read it in some book I can't remember right now, but this website says more or less the same thing. When you factor in GDP, spending in real terms has not gone up all that much, as it has not risen as much a economic growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    I read it in some book I can't remember right now, but this website says more or less the same thing. When you factor in GDP, spending in real terms has not gone up all that much, as it has not risen as much a economic growth.
    The graph there has the amount spent in 2007 dollars. That accounts for inflation. Are you talking about as a percentage of GDP? That isn't a very good criterion. If the economy is humming along and growth is high, the government could grow quickly, but not as quickly as the economy, and it would still be much larger while the percentage of GDP is actually lower. In other words, the federal government was almost 40% of the U.S. economy at the height of WWII (most healthy men away fighting, less jobs, government demanding most capital goods). However, it spent FAR less money then than it does now, even adjusting for inflation.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Whose actions have shown them to be for smaller government?
    I give up. If you care to know the history, just get the debt data and plot it against presidential or congress held periods. Do the same with jobs, with growth, with government jobs... Whatever you wish. Or google, there are people who have done it for you.

Even wikipedia has a entry highlighting the differences for the last 30 years. There even may be a few more easy references to the differencesfloating around. If you value the knowledge, it's available. If you want to read about a lot more research, going farther back, by more robust authors, you can probably find a few or just do it yourself.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I thought universal health care was supposed to make sure incidents like these never took place. This stuff only happens in the US.

Man's death in Winnipeg ER 'preventable': chief medical examiner
    In general the news reports the exception and not the rule. If this is news, then this is actually a testament to how good the Canadian health care system is. The fact that we don't get news like this in the US is a testament to how bad our health care system is.

In Canada a person getting poor health care is "man bites dog", while in the US poor health care is merely "dog bites man".
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    In general the news reports the exception and not the rule. If this is news, then this is actually a testament to how good the Canadian health care system is. The fact that we don't get news like this in the US is a testament to how bad our health care system is.

In Canada a person getting poor health care is "man bites dog", while in the US poor health care is merely "dog bites man".
    But you do get news like this from time to time in the States. Granted, it's mostly in the form of Nancy Grace, but it's still publicized. I think it was two months ago when she was talking about the lady who died in the ER waiting room after her boyfriend called 911 from the hospital to try to get them to take her to a different hospital.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    But you do get news like this from time to time in the States. Granted, it's mostly in the form of Nancy Grace, but it's still publicized. I think it was two months ago when she was talking about the lady who died in the ER waiting room after her boyfriend called 911 from the hospital to try to get them to take her to a different hospital.
    Ah, my fault. I guess news like this does get reported somewhere. I suppose this means that the quality of health care in the US and Canada is about the same (assuming you have access to it).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    xNTJ

Ah, my fault. I guess news like this does get reported somewhere. I suppose this means that the quality of health care in the US and Canada is about the same (assuming you have access to it).
    Emergency rooms in the States don't turn people away based on their insurance cards (or lack of them).

BTW, I've lived in both countries. I have to admit, my American doctors were far superior in fixing me to my Canadian doctors.

It wouldn't have taken my American doctor four years to figure out what to do with my headaches.

But I wouldn't have had my skin biopsies done if I'd lived in the States because I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the expense.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I give up. If you care to know the history, just get the debt data and plot it against presidential or congress held periods. Do the same with jobs, with growth, with government jobs... Whatever you wish. Or google, there are people who have done it for you.
    Wait. . . Debt data? We've been talking about the size of government for several pages now, and now you mention debt? I was arguing about government outlays the whole time, and you meant budget deficits? You're confusing me now. If it were deficit spending, then the worst presidents were GWB, Reagan, and FDR.

MBTI
    ESFJ

American health care is superior, but more expensive and many people do not have access. However, if you are not wealthy and need catastrophic care (ER and such), there are things you can do. Hospitals get paid by someone eventually. They almost never take people who owe them to collection, if the patient provides even tiny payments occasionally. If you have an ambulance ride and they stitch you up and it's like $2,000, they'll accept $50 or $100 every once in a while until they get paid.

MBTI
    INFP

Our health care system is not only plagued by financial problems. I've worked in both a private and a government-owned hospital and if you knew half the stuff that goes on behind the scenes you wouldn't want any health care at all. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer