User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I was under the impression that today's debate wasn't/isn't going to be a town hall style meeting.
    It may not be. I haven't seen anything about it short of the "Will he/won't he?" coverage.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I completely disagree. McCain excels at town hall meetings, and Obama excels at oratory.
    Obama was going to have a townhall style meeting if McCain didn't show. My point was that a McCainless debate like that would have been a great opportunity for Obama.

As far as I know, since McCain is showing it will be a standard debate.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Obama was going to have a townhall style meeting if McCain didn't show. My point was that a McCainless debate like that would have been a great opportunity for Obama.

As far as I know, since McCain is showing it will be a standard debate.
    I see. Well, Obama with the whole time to himself would definitely have been a huge blow to McCain. Still, IMHO, Obama works better with the rousing, lofty speechifying. As charismatic a political creature as he is, I also get the feeling that he would seem less magnetic face-to-face. He's like U2; you may not like his stuff personally, and his appeal would probably be totally lost in a 100-seat venue, but he puts on a tremendous arena show.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I see. Well, Obama with the whole time to himself would definitely have been a huge blow to McCain. Still, IMHO, Obama works better with the rousing, lofty speechifying. As charismatic a political creature as he is, I also get the feeling that he would seem less magnetic face-to-face. He's like U2; you may not like his stuff personally, and his appeal would probably be totally lost in a 100-seat venue, but he puts on a tremendous arena show.
    Have you seen Obama participate in a structured debate yet? I haven't.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I watched one of his debates with Hillary. I was actually a bit underwhelmed, but some of that was likely because of how articulate he is with prepared material. McCain has nothing to fear, and considering this is a foreign policy debate I can easily see him getting some really strong hits on Obama. The only downside to McCain is that the economy is a big enough issue right now that I can't help but see it work it's way in to some degree.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Have you seen Obama participate in a structured debate yet? I haven't.
    He debated Alan Keyes during the Senate race in 2004. It was pretty weird. Nice to see two black men with two very different philosophies debating in a major political contest, though.

YouTube - Keyes-Obama debate 2 (Christianity)

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Obama is a bit like (the old) Brittney Spears... so much of his draw comes from his performance. In a debate, he still remains articulate, but other factors, such as timing, inflection, and passion, seem to get thrown off. When those factors get stripped, I find myself often thinking "he could have answered that question better." His content becomes a bit more bare, and a bit more plain.

I guess I should disclose that I am an Obama supporter, though, despite just saying that. I am just not an unconditional supporter.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't plan on voting for the guy, but I'm almost tempted to just to spite the irrational haters.
    Pfft. The irrational thing is to believe that McCain's attempt to skip the debate were for the reasons he stated. I don't hate the guy, but I know bullshit when I hear it.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't plan on voting for the guy, but I'm almost tempted to just to spite the irrational haters.
    I don't hate McCain and would have taken him over Bush any day, but this time I don't believe he has what it takes to get us out of this mess we're in. Voting out of spite isn't what our country needs.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Pfft. The irrational thing is to believe that McCain's attempt to skip the debate were for the reasons he stated. I don't hate the guy, but I know bullshit when I hear it.
    Don't assume that a single event is the catalyst for my opinion.

Look at my previous post in this thread. People who view him unfavorably will view this situation unfavorably. People who don't, won't.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."