First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    A little extrapolation can be a dangerous thing. I am CERTAIN that any extrapolations regarding me (for instance) based on my posts in the Politics, History, and Current Events thread would be inaccurate.

Also, her beliefs coincide with a HUGE percentage of Americans. More than you'd probably think.

Well, that's why I stay open to new information as I make extrapolations. I'm no fundamentalist extrapolator. You don't have to be to get fairly accurate impressions.

EDIT: Ignoring the possible implications of a persons principles on other parts of their behavior is just as daft as rigidly stereotyping them based on their principles.

I guess I need to leave this country then. It's a slippery slope to a government that I don't want to be part of.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The principle reasons behind my Palin affection are that she's intelligent and considerate. Whatever her personal beliefs or previous world knowledge, she doesn't seem likely to actually take hasty, ill-advised actions.
    I hope all that "pit bull" nonsense was a big old joke then.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Also, her beliefs coincide with a HUGE percentage of Americans. More than you'd probably think.
    And so she will win over many votes on that issue alone. She is like them, she shares their beliefs, and so she gets their vote. I don't think people are disputing that fact more than they are mourning it.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I don't think people are disputing that fact more than they are mourning it.
    Preach it, bro' !!
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    And so she will win over many votes on that issue alone. She is like them, she shares their beliefs, and so she gets their vote. I don't think people are disputing that fact more than they are mourning it.
    I wish the Religious Right would go back to the old "Leave us alone to believe what we want; the government isn't of God, anyway" program. Somewhere along the way, the conservative part of the Christian conservatives died off, and it now it's Big Government for God all the way. Makes me sad.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I wish the Religious Right would go back to the old "Leave us alone to believe what we want; the government isn't of God, anyway" program. Somewhere along the way, the conservative part of the Christian conservatives died off, and it now it's Big Government for God all the way. Makes me sad.
    +1+

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

True that. Which is why automatic distrust was my reaction to Palin. It seems she was picked to seduce the religious right. I mean, an increase in support among them is what happened right? And it wouldn't have happened if they didn't think her beliefs, which are like theirs, would somehow effect her policy decisions....

So whether it will happen or not, SOMEBODY out there thinks that her beliefs will connect to her policy decisions. Unless they don't care about her policy decisions and solely like her because she is like them. Which makes her being chosen appear even MORE cynical.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    True that. Which is why automatic distrust was my reaction to Palin. It seems she was picked to seduce the religious right. I mean, an increase in support among them is what happened right? And it wouldn't have happened if they didn't think her beliefs, which are like theirs, would somehow effect her policy decisions....

So whether it will happen or not, SOMEBODY out there thinks that her beliefs will connect to her policy decisions. Unless they don't care about her policy decisions and solely like her because she is like them. Which makes her being chosen appear even MORE cynical.

It was a completely cynical (and, thus far, successful) choice. Do you think that any of these decisions are made for reasons other than the belief that it will help people win? Obama didn't pick Joe Biden because he wants to "change Washington." It was obvious that McCain had problems energizing the Religious Right and reaching out to women. He is trying to kill two birds with one stone. People fall for that type of shit, even though it looks bush league to you and me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah, and since it's obviously such a cynical choice - more cynical than anything I've seen yet - I'm having a hard time understanding why some people around here aren't completely put off by her.

Sure, you can argue the Democrats do the same thing, I don't doubt that it's the arena of all politicians, but this pick was EXTREMELY blatant. Maybe I haven't been around long enough, I don't know.

My point was really that you can look at a persons policy decisions separate from their (fringe-like) beliefs, and you can hope that the person will not mix the two in office, but whether you like it or not, there is an implied assumption (on the part of the religious right, which is why she was chosen) that she will mix her beliefs with her policy decisions. I pray that she doesn't. But if she falls in line with those religious right types who share her background and largely support her, it's not unlikely that she would try to make policy decisions that stem from religious belief. Beliefs are inextricably tied to actions. If she values objectivity and open-mindedness in governance before religious belief, then we're fine. If not, her beliefs become a problem for me.

I can't just look at her policy decisions and not pay attention to the whole package she might bring with her, based on the fact that the religious right - not exactly a bastion of objectivity - was happy with the choice.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

As long as McCain's around, it won't be anything like Bush-Cheney. He'll be the brains behind the operation. Personally, I'm quite afraid of Biden. Two sides to every coin.