User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Banned

Default Palin Claimed Dinosaurs And People Coexisted

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They are still putting Palin through Political Science 101, she's still cramming before the test. [...]
    The LA Times reports:

Soon after Sarah Palin was elected mayor of the foothill town of Wasilla, Alaska, she startled a local music teacher by insisting in casual conversation that men and dinosaurs coexisted on an Earth created 6,000 years ago -- about 65 million years after scientists say most dinosaurs became extinct -- the teacher said.
    After conducting a college band and watching Palin deliver a commencement address to a small group of home-schooled students in June 1997, Wasilla resident Philip Munger said, he asked the young mayor about her religious beliefs. Palin told him that "dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time," Munger said.

When he asked her about prehistoric fossils and tracks dating back millions of years, Palin said "she had seen pictures of human footprints inside the tracks," recalled Munger, who teaches music at the University of Alaska in Anchorage and has regularly criticized Palin in recent years on his liberal political blog, called Progressive Alaska. The idea of a "young Earth" -- that God created the Earth about 6,000 years ago, and dinosaurs and humans coexisted early on -- is a popular strain of creationism. Though in her race for governor she called for faith-based "intelligent design" to be taught along with evolution in Alaska's schools, Gov. Palin has not sought to require it, state educators say.

In a widely-circulated interview, Matt Damon said of Palin, "I need to know if she really think that dinosaurs were here 4000 years ago. I want to know that, I really do. Because she's gonna have the nuclear codes."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You're right, I don't know what I was thinking not wanting to be a communist just yet. Because it matters. *votes Obama*

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tblood View Post
    The LA Times reports:

After conducting a college band and watching Palin deliver a commencement address to a small group of home-schooled students in June 1997, Wasilla resident Philip Munger said, he asked the young mayor about her religious beliefs. Palin told him that "dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time," Munger said.

When he asked her about prehistoric fossils and tracks dating back millions of years, Palin said "she had seen pictures of human footprints inside the tracks," recalled Munger, who teaches music at the University of Alaska in Anchorage and has regularly criticized Palin in recent years on his liberal political blog, called Progressive Alaska. The idea of a "young Earth" -- that God created the Earth about 6,000 years ago, and dinosaurs and humans coexisted early on -- is a popular strain of creationism. Though in her race for governor she called for faith-based "intelligent design" to be taught along with evolution in Alaska's schools, Gov. Palin has not sought to require it, state educators say.

In a widely-circulated interview, Matt Damon said of Palin, "I need to know if she really think that dinosaurs were here 4000 years ago. I want to know that, I really do. Because she's gonna have the nuclear codes."
    And?...
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tblood View Post
    The LA Times reports:

What a person believes politically is far more important than what they believe about Jesus or Buddha or Allah or whatever.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

True, but to believe dinosaurs roamed the earth 6,000 years ago alongside man? It suggests to me that she doesn't even acknowledge science or history. What if she isn't an expert in other subjects, such as economics, foreign policy, and medicine? Will she ignore the experts who present compelling evidence against her preconceived notions in these areas as well?

Of course, this is all moot. The only real source (I've found) is some "local music teacher". I need something a tad bit more solid than that.

Sure does make a sensational story, though!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    True, but to believe dinosaurs roamed the earth 6,000 years ago alongside man? It suggests to me that she doesn't even acknowledge science or history. What if she isn't an expert in other subjects, such as economics, foreign policy, and medicine? Will she ignore the experts who present compelling evidence against her preconceived notions in these areas as well?

Of course, this is all moot. The only real source (I've found) is some "local music teacher". I need something a tad bit more solid than that.

Sure does make a sensational story, though!

Well, yes, most likely. You don't get elected (and shouldn't be, IMHO) if your policy is "I don't make up my mind about anything until I see every single piece of evidence." That is no way to run a country. You have to have some opinions and principles upon which you operate. She happens to be wrong about some of these opinions, but you can't fault her for having beliefs in the first place.

Also, like 25-30% of Americans believe humans and dinosaurs coexisted 6,000-10,000 years ago. I am not saying that makes sense, but it's the truth. They're not all retarded, either. They just really, really believe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What a person believes politically is far more important than what they believe about Jesus or Buddha or Allah or whatever.
    Unfortunately, what a person believes about Jesus etc certainly does affect what they believe politically as well. It just so happens that people who deny evolution also tend to have problematic beliefs about the right to choose and a whole slew of other issues. That Sarah Palin denies this wouldn't necessarily be a problem if this one belief occurred in isolation from other beliefs that affect people's bodies, livelihoods, and the like... but it doesn't. I don't think she should be judged based on this one belief, but if you look closer at it, it is part of a larger system of fundamentalist views.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

That's true, Eileen, but it can be mountains vs. mole-hills when one (such as myself) compares the alternatives.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Well, yes, most likely. You don't get elected (and shouldn't be, IMHO) if your policy is "I don't make up my mind about anything until I see every single piece of evidence." That is no way to run a country. You have to have some opinions and principles upon which you operate. She happens to be wrong about some of these opinions, but you can't fault her for having beliefs in the first place.
    I definitely don't fault her for having principles. I don't agree with all of them, but she does a respectable job living up to them, and I like that about her. It scares me, though, when a politician will operate so much on an opinion that has so much evidence against it. Decisiveness is important, and you have to have principles to help clear the white noise, but you also need to be able to sort between 'relevant data' and 'white noise'.

I consider fossils, carbon dating, the egyptian pyraminds and hieroglyphs, and universally accepted ideas from the experts in their fields to be relevant enough to not be ignored. Principles should not be an excuse to ignore all dissenting evidence.

Just to be clear though, I don't believe she actually said those things. It's far too likely the "local music teacher" is getting the quote wrong. My opinion of Palin, which is somewhat positive, has not changed.

Also, like 25-30% of Americans believe humans and dinosaurs coexisted 6,000-10,000 years ago. I am not saying that makes sense, but it's the truth. They're not all retarded, either. They just really, really believe.
    "They're not 'all' retarded either"... hehe. Couldn't have said it better myself!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    That's true, Eileen, but it can be mountains vs. mole-hills when one (such as myself) compares the alternatives.
    Woah. What do you believe in so strongly that you're willing to take a risk on the fundamentalists? Or do you have great faith that her beliefs really just don't matter?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.