User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your political leaning?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent

8 32.00%
  • Democrat

11 44.00%
  • Republican

2 8.00%
  • Other

4 16.00%
First 234

Thread: Election issues

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Drug use at the very least needs to be decriminalized if not legalized. This is especially true for marijuana. Marijuana is a fairly mild drug, and the only reason why it is considered a "gateway drug" is that it is sold by the same guys who sell the really hard stuff. Seriously I think if marijuana was legalized the crime rate would drop considerably.
    I fully support legalization of marijuana and other soft drugs, but I think decriminalization would have too many unpleasant side effects-most importantly, it would degrade societal appreciation for and adherence to the rule of law. I know that prohibition already has this effect on a large segment of the population, but introducing that kind of gray area would affect the perceptions of the entire population, with negative long-term affects on corruption indicators.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I fully support legalization of marijuana and other soft drugs, but I think decriminalization would have too many unpleasant side effects-most importantly, it would degrade societal appreciation for and adherence to the rule of law. I know that prohibition already has this effect on a large segment of the population, but introducing that kind of gray area would affect the perceptions of the entire population, with negative long-term affects on corruption indicators.
    Using social pressure, nonviolent resistance, and petitioning the government for redress of grievances are all examples of the success of the rule of law. Have you honestly ever heard anyone say, "I'd smoke crack, if only it were legal?" The rule of law is supposed to be based upon individual rights and responsibilities, not on waiting for the government to tell you if something is right or wrong and then toeing the line.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    "I'd smoke crack, if only it were legal?"
    Does anyone say "I'd smoke crack" period? Crack addicts, if you asked them whether they would be addicted to crack a year or two before they got addicted, you would get a resounding "Hell no".

Legalize soft drugs first, then slowly experiment with softening hard drug laws, it if shows positive results, keep going.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Does anyone say "I'd smoke crack" period? Crack addicts, if you asked them whether they would be addicted to crack a year or two before they got addicted, you would get a resounding "Hell no".

Legalize soft drugs first, then slowly experiment with softening hard drug laws, it if shows positive results, keep going.
    Yes, people make a decision to do it at some point. Being a true junkie is hard work, and there are points to jump off the trolley along the way, believe me.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yes, people make a decision to do it at some point. Being a true junkie is hard work, and there are points to jump off the trolley along the way, believe me.
    The drug-related downfall of crack addicts usually starts when they are already rapped up in drugs.

If it were legal, you wouldn't need to know a dealer, wouldn't need to go to sketchy neighborhoods, it would probably become cheaper...I don't want a nation of crack and heroin addicts running around everywhere.

Why not soften hard drug laws first, and see how that goes?

MBTI
    INTP

Using social pressure, nonviolent resistance, and petitioning the government for redress of grievances are all examples of the success of the rule of law. Have you honestly ever heard anyone say, "I'd smoke crack, if only it were legal?" The rule of law is supposed to be based upon individual rights and responsibilities, not on waiting for the government to tell you if something is right or wrong and then toeing the line.
    Under decriminalization, marijuana would still be against the law; having a bunch of laws that are seldom (i.e. selectively) enforced instead of explicitly removed from the books would undermine public regard for the entire body of law. This in turn leads people to rationalize ever-greater circumvention of laws that are necessary and beneficial. Increased corruption results.

Basically, I'm arguing that certain societal goals (including the maximization of individual rights and autonomy) require enabling conditions (including regard for and adherence to the rule of law) to be sustainable. In the long-term, the MEANS of societal reform are more important than the immediate ends achieved. Besides, "liberty" through mere de-criminalization would be extremely insecure, reliant on transitive public opinion rather deep-seated values and principles reinforced through formal institutions and entrenched interests fighting to maintain their perogatives through dynamic political coalitions.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Under decriminalization, marijuana would still be against the law; having a bunch of laws that are seldom (i.e. selectively) enforced instead of explicitly removed from the books would undermine public regard for the entire body of law. This in turn leads people to rationalize ever-greater circumvention of laws that are necessary and beneficial. Increased corruption results.

Basically, I'm arguing that certain societal goals (including the maximization of individual rights and autonomy) require enabling conditions (including regard for and adherence to the rule of law) to be sustainable. In the long-term, the MEANS of societal reform are more important than the immediate ends achieved. Besides, "liberty" through mere de-criminalization would be extremely insecure, reliant on transitive public opinion rather deep-seated values and principles reinforced through formal institutions and entrenched interests fighting to maintain their perogatives through dynamic political coalitions.

I understand your concern, but the American public (in a lot of states, anyway) seems to be in favor of either decriminalization or less punitive laws for marijuana. I don't think that too many people really think that being lax legally about pot really encourages people to be scofflaws. Plus, the public is also overwhelmingly AGAINST outright legalization. I would prefer legalization, but I am trying to be realistic here. Ending jail sentences for pot smokers and ditching paramilitary-style drug busts with SWATs killing dogs and preachers and old ladies would be a nice start.