User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your political leaning?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent

8 32.00%
  • Democrat

11 44.00%
  • Republican

2 8.00%
  • Other

4 16.00%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Election issues

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Only if you consider everyone who pays taxes to be wealthy, because everyone who pays income taxes got a tax cut.
    Do you have a source for this? I don't remember seeing this when I was looking through info on the Bush tax cuts.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm a registered Democrat, though ideologically, I'm more of a social democrat.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I gotta be me, I gotta be me. . .

MBTI
    ESFJ

End the War in Iraq, concentrate on finding Osama bin Laden and his top cohorts, end or downscale the War on Drugs, cut taxes/cut spending/balance the federal budget, stop subsidizing and bailing out big corporations, quit trying to be Johnny Policeman all over the world.

In short, read the goddamn U.S. Constitution and behave accordingly.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Lou Dobbs is the man. That is all.

We need a third "American" party, because the current two are completely lost. The Republicans were in control, 15% approval rating. Dems, 9%. They both suck at getting things done (Congress).

MBTI
    INTP

why this?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    concentrate on finding Osama bin Laden and his top cohorts,
    but not this?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    the War on Drugs
    The drug lords kill many more more American's through drug related violence than the sum total of all those killed in 9/11, Iraq and Afganistan.

That does not even include those killed by the poison they sell on the streets. In a sense, they run an underground government with their own laws, their own militia, and one that taxes the poor. They use drugs to exert control over these people. Ending the war on drugs really would be a total disaster. The Mexican cartels who are at this moment tearing apart the fabric of Mexico would move to America. There is already fear that they are getting too close for comfort. If the Mexican government collapses, the cartels will be in control.

Mexico: On the Road to a Failed State? | Stratfor

MBTI
    INTP

The most important issue for me is judicial appointments and constitutional interpretation.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    The drug lords kill many more more American's through drug related violence than the sum total of all those killed in 9/11, Iraq and Afganistan.

That does not even include those killed by the poison they sell on the streets. In a sense, they run an underground government with their own laws, their own militia, and one that taxes the poor. They use drugs to exert control over these people. Ending the war on drugs really would be a total disaster. The Mexican cartels who are at this moment tearing apart the fabric of Mexico would move to America. There is already fear that they are getting too close for comfort. If the Mexican government collapses, the cartels will be in control.

Because A) the violence in the drug trade is directly tied to their being illegal; and B) adults have a right to consume whatever intoxicants they want. The War on Drugs IS a total disaster.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    why this?

but not this?

I tend to think the easiest way to win the War on Drugs is to stop fighting it. During Prohibition crime and violence increased dramatically. Luckily that only lasted about a decade. Currently the US has more prisoners than any other nation both per capita and in total. I tend to think the War on Drugs is the culprit.

Drug use at the very least needs to be decriminalized if not legalized. This is especially true for marijuana. Marijuana is a fairly mild drug, and the only reason why it is considered a "gateway drug" is that it is sold by the same guys who sell the really hard stuff. Seriously I think if marijuana was legalized the crime rate would drop considerably.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I tend to think the easiest way to win the War on Drugs is to stop fighting it. During Prohibition crime and violence increased dramatically. Luckily that only lasted about a decade. Currently the US has more prisoners than any other nation both per capita and in total. I tend to think the War on Drugs is the culprit.
    The stats about prisoners is not true. China has a higher rate of incarceration and more overall, if you count people detained in any way. Also, Russia and Cuba's official per capita incarceration statistics are pretty close to ours, and their governments' numbers are often fishy in this regard (Cuba's actual rate of forcible rate, for instance, is appalling). Still, I believe somewhere between 50 and 55% of prisoners in American federal penitentiaries are nonviolent drug offenders. Or, at least, they weren't convicted of violent offenses; high-level drug dealers tend to be pretty violent when necessary.

Drug use at the very least needs to be decriminalized if not legalized. This is especially true for marijuana. Marijuana is a fairly mild drug, and the only reason why it is considered a "gateway drug" is that it is sold by the same guys who sell the really hard stuff. Seriously I think if marijuana was legalized the crime rate would drop considerably.
    I agree here. Not too many people are committing atrocities because of marijuana, but the raw crime statistics would drop right away, and resources could be diverted to going after murderers, rapists, human traffickers, etc.