User Tag List

First 401451491499500501502503511551601 Last

Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 6523

brush off the lolcows asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Not sure. Reagan gave Ford a real run for his money in 1976 (53%/46% vote), but Ford had never actually been elected President (he took office after Agnew and Nixon resigned).

The other races you mentioned weren't nearly as close. Bush/Buchanan was a blowout at 73%/23%. If Johnson had stayed in the 1968 race, he might have gotten beaten, though -- he dropped out mainly because the health and effort cost for him to secure the nomination might have been too much for him.
    Ford's something of an exception. Many saw him as a continuation of the Nixon regime (which he pretty much was) so it's understandable he'd be challenged from within.

I think Robert Kennedy might've beaten LBJ in a hypothetical primary matchup although he did enter late and there's no guarantee he'd have even won against the other dems had he not been assassinated. People like to imagine an RFK presidency in 1969 but it would've been a long shot, given that there was still a strong association between Kennedy/Johnson and the Vietnam War which was pretty unpopular by that point. It is likely Nixon may not have run if Kennedy had been nominee, perhaps fearing a whipping at the hands of not one but two Kennedy bros. really interesting would be a Johnson Nixon matchup in 1969.

I think primary challenges to incumbents were fairly common in the 1800s and if I recall a few lost the nomination, but it seems to have become an exception in more recent election years.
    There is a fine line between being prejudiced against an entire demographic and disagreeing with the way the system works. -asynartetic

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Keep your pimp hand strong. -Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone bring up the term in a conversation.

What's so frightening about Trump is how rabid the fringe elements are in supporting him. Some would pull out their NRA approved guns to 'fight' when Trump gets nailed and Trump would gleefully incite them to further violence. Dude would rather burn down the country, than gracefully step down for the good of the country.
    Likes Floki liked this post

brush off the lolcows asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    What's so frightening about Trump is how rabid the fringe elements are in supporting him. Some would pull out their NRA approved guns to 'fight' when Trump gets nailed and Trump would gleefully incite them to further violence. Dude would rather burn down the country, than gracefully step down for the good of the country.
    He is like a modern Commodus or Nero to me.
    There is a fine line between being prejudiced against an entire demographic and disagreeing with the way the system works. -asynartetic

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Keep your pimp hand strong. -Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone bring up the term in a conversation.
    Likes bechimo, Totenkindly, Floki liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    He is like a modern Commodus or Nero to me.
    This came to mind for me, particularly the joker aspect (sorry heath ledger, loved your joker and meant no disrespect, RIP).

Likes asynartetic, Floki liked this post

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Obama’s Attorney General Used Fake Identity To Hide Clinton Investigation E-Mails

Lynch was caught conducting a secret meeting with Bill Clinton aboard a private plane on a tarmac in Phoenix last year as Clinton’s wife pursued the presidency and amid an ongoing investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private, unsecured email server, which she illegally used during her tenure as secretary of State. Soon afterward, the former attorney general reportedly used a pseudonym to coordinate a narrative about the meeting with Department of Justice officials, Chuck Ross at The Daily Caller reports.

Also shortly after the private plane meeting, former FBI director James Comey announced that agency would not pursue a case against Clinton, despite admitting he had enough evidence to do so. A month later, Lynch announced the DOJ would not investigate the Clinton Foundation’s relationship with the State Department during Hillary’s tenure, despite the FBI’s reccommendation to do so. The chain of events caused many to question Lynch’s motives, as it was also widely reported that Hillary planned to keep Lynch as attorney general had Clinton won the election.

Using an email account under a fake name, Lynch (a.k.a. “Elizabeth Carlisle”) coordinated with DOJ officials to respond to queries about the secretive meeting with the former president. Lynch’s attorney, Robert Raben, confirmed her use of an alias on Monday and said she used an email account under a fake identity to prevent “inundation of mailboxes.”

Using fake names was a common tactic among Obama administration officials to evade accountability. AG Eric Holder, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, and EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson all did so when serving in public offices during Obama’s tenure. Lois Lerner, an IRS official who has been suspected of using the tax-collecting agency to target conservative nonprofit organizations, is also thought to have used an email address registered to a pseudonym to conduct official business.

Reporters at The New York Times, The Washington Post, and ABC News were hesitant to cover Lynch’s secret tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton, according to emails between journalists and DOJ officials the American Center for Law and Justice recently obtained.

“My editors are still pretty interested in it and I’m hoping to put it to rest by answering just a few more questions about how the meeting came about,” wrote Matt Zapotosky, a reporter for the Post — which recently changed its motto to “Democracy dies in darkness” — in an email to a DOJ official.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Ford's something of an exception. Many saw him as a continuation of the Nixon regime (which he pretty much was) so it's understandable he'd be challenged from within.

I think Robert Kennedy might've beaten LBJ in a hypothetical primary matchup although he did enter late and there's no guarantee he'd have even won against the other dems had he not been assassinated. People like to imagine an RFK presidency in 1969 but it would've been a long shot, given that there was still a strong association between Kennedy/Johnson and the Vietnam War which was pretty unpopular by that point. It is likely Nixon may not have run if Kennedy had been nominee, perhaps fearing a whipping at the hands of not one but two Kennedy bros. really interesting would be a Johnson Nixon matchup in 1969.

I think primary challenges to incumbents were fairly common in the 1800s and if I recall a few lost the nomination, but it seems to have become an exception in more recent election years.
    well, Pierce and Johnson and a few others managed to piss off their own parties and got shunned at some point in their careers. But how nominees are selected has also changed somewhat over the centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Easy answer: He's not in it for the good of the country.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes bechimo, asynartetic, Floki liked this post

Oh, for sure. What's frightening are his supporters. It's also a good argument why tertiary education should be free.

MBTI
    STP

Are they running out of things to discuss? This was known months and months ago...Trump supporters must not have believed the "Fake News" about it. For those that missed it...Lynch is WHY Comey came out and said what he said...because he suspected she was compromised from bi-partisanship service of her country. Thankfully Trump is being distanced as he would hire a republican worse then Lynch.

Its kinda pathetic how Trump team keeps having to compare itself to Obama and Hillary to justify that "its just not us who are shit".
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

well, Pierce and Johnson and a few others managed to piss off their own parties and got shunned at some point in their careers. But how nominees are selected has also changed somewhat over the centuries.

Why do we need education when we can have Trump TV to tell us whats going on in the country.

“We should both say, we will work it out. It will work out in the formula somehow,” Trump suggested. “As opposed to you saying, ‘We will not pay’ and me saying, ‘We will not pay.’”
    We should all just adapt to Trumps education
    Im out, its been fun

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Good luck with that.
    Oh, hey Teat Mornado.

Check it out:

In challenge lies opportunity.