User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 37

  1. #11
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V Profane View Post
    Indignant advocacy of prison rape is both morally bankrupt and trite.
    LOL

    I don't support prison rape, but not for those reasons.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #12
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    At least they didn't kill them all in a government firebombing. That seems to be the protocol.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #13
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V Profane View Post
    The canned response to the 'eye for an eye' argument: 'everyone ends up blind', is unusually sensible.
    Not exactly. Historically, it began as a relatively mild-mannered alternative to acts of reckless vengeance. The philosophy was borne out of the fact that the natural tendency of someone, when their loved one has been slaughtered, is to go kill the murderer's entire family and shit on all their graves. The death penalty is a compromise.
    I don't wanna!

  4. #14
    Senior Member Oso Mocoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That's the whole point; make people face harsh consequences for harsh actions, and less people will commit the action.
    Actually, the evidence doesn't support this. It just makes people both sneakier, and less respectful of the state. If you have any doubt of this, look up America's flirtation with Prohibition and the War on Some Drugs. Neither of them were effective in the least. In particular, pay attention to the Rockefeller laws in NY. As the sentences got stupider and the state paid more to incarcerate people, more people kept smoking pot.

  5. #15
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    Actually, the evidence doesn't support this. It just makes people both sneakier, and less respectful of the state. If you have any doubt of this, look up America's flirtation with Prohibition and the War on Some Drugs. Neither of them were effective in the least. In particular, pay attention to the Rockefeller laws in NY. As the sentences got stupider and the state paid more to incarcerate people, more people kept smoking pot.
    As far as usage goes, the chances of getting caught are so slim that it shouldn't make much difference. For most people the positives outweigh the chances of facing legal consequences. And for pot, all you get is a $100 ticket for having under 25 grams. And I think after the 80s, pot use went up everywhere didn't it?

    But for things like white collar crime, violence, rape..etc..punishment obviously serves are a disincentive.

  6. #16
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Y'know, he's just accused, not convicted. Nobody's actually shown that the guy is guilty. I'm not condoning anything here, but I would propose that maybe we ougtta not rush to judgment.

    Who knows... be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it might be YOU doing the perp-walk in an orange jumpsuit on national TV.

  7. #17
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Normally I would agree. But it looks like the children themselves have been some of the ones making these allegations.

    I'm about 85% sure of his guilt.

  8. #18
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It also gives a reason for people not to perpetrate in the first place.

    That's the whole point; make people face harsh consequences for harsh actions, and less people will commit the action.
    That's evolutionary psychology's theory behind the development of vengeance. People were trying to figure out why someone so personally unhelpful and pointless as revenge would exist, and the best anyone could figure out was that it's like a doomsday device. It serves no purpose once activated, it's only there to deter people from activating it.

    These are more complicated times, though. It's an undeniable fact that many things which were useful for us in our primitive days have becomes the source misery for us today. Just look out how various confused brains responses make people hopeless herione addicts. In modern society, it seems that social interaction is so complex that it's watered down the value of revenge. There are so many options, every step of the way, that a person does not have to feel deterred by sought revenge. It's so easy to run, and hide, and change your mind these days.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #19
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Normally I would agree. But it looks like the children themselves have been some of the ones making these allegations.

    I'm about 85% sure of his guilt.
    I think we're all glad to hear ajblaise is sure of his guilt. Still, maybe we should still have a trial, maybe, just a little one?

    Have you ever heard of the Fells Acre case? Fells Acres Day Care Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #20
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That's evolutionary psychology's theory behind the development of vengeance. People were trying to figure out why someone so personally unhelpful and pointless as revenge would exist, and the best anyone could figure out was that it's like a doomsday device. It serves no purpose once activated, it's only there to deter people from activating it.

    These are more complicated times, though. It's an undeniable fact that many things which were useful for us in our primitive days have becomes the source misery for us today. Just look out how various confused brains responses make people hopeless herione addicts. In modern society, it seems that social interaction is so complex that it's watered down the value of revenge. There are so many options, every step of the way, that a person does not have to feel deterred by sought revenge. It's so easy to run, and hide, and change your mind these days.
    I'm not sure why you say revenge is/was pointless and unhelpful. If someone doesn't stand up for themselves to someone who has harmed them or someone close to them, it could happen again, because the perpetrator faced no consequences. Granted, with today's legal system, revenge isn't as important.

    And how would someone's confused brains responses make them hopeless heroin addicts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think we're all glad to hear ajblaise is sure of his guilt. Still, maybe we should still have a trial, maybe, just a little one?

    Have you ever heard of the Fells Acre case? Fells Acres Day Care Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    85% sure, not 100%. And with that case you are referring to, no innocence was proven. It's not like the alleged victims took back what they said, they still assert it happened.

Similar Threads

  1. The FBI's child porn website
    By LovecraftianMonstrosity in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM
  2. Face of Subway Pleads Guilty on Child Porn/Sex Acts
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-22-2015, 01:50 AM
  3. Dreamboard Child Porn Ring Arrests
    By MacGuffin in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTP psych(o) USMLE in Los Angeles - looking for friends and for a job :-))
    By Spirited_Away in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO