User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I believe I am about to be taught a very expensive lesson in diversification. Like many people, as I watched fund after fund blow-up, I moved them out in to "cash" (the designated money market fund) while taking small losses as a way to avoid big ones.
    Indeed... this is a "generational" type lesson! Mind you, we are well diversified, and still taking a rather large hit - no one gets to escape in this environment.

If I wasn't an information whore, I would of turned off the news. That's generally what I recommend - turning off the news, staying diversified, and continue following the big plan.

Most people make worse decision if they keep themselves informed anyway, heh.

Oh. well. It's a good thing I'm young, and I was only counting on this money for retirement, and not day to day living.
    Well, I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like things are being fairly well handled, but of course I don't completely know your situation. Hopefully you didn't have more than the 100k for FDIC, though

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I decided to go ahead and gamble on Wachovia. I didn't put in too much money, only money I'd be comfortable losing. Now I'm rooting for the bailout, heh.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wish I had been able to short oil futures. It's even lower than I expected, close to $75/barrel.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTJ

A LOT, because I'm working A LOT!
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    A LOT, because I'm working A LOT!
    Could an ISTJ response be any more stereotypical?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    heh, that's the only money I'm making right now

(I prefer to think of it as... about 8%, with a SD of about 13%, rather than a large loss )

How has your trading gone, though? Did you pull out completely? I paper traded a bit in the duration, trading options, which seemed to be pretty optimal. I did very well actually, too bad it was just play money!

MBTI
    ISTJ

yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    heh, that's the only money I'm making right now

(I prefer to think of it as... about 8%, with a SD of about 13%, rather than a large loss )

How has your trading gone, though? Did you pull out completely? I paper traded a bit in the duration, trading options, which seemed to be pretty optimal. I did very well actually, too bad it was just play money!
    Other than the small gamble I made on Wachovia (I'm down about 25% of a $500 bet, so no biggie), all of my money is out. The market is so volatile, I'm just watching closely and learning as much as possible, right now.

Other than the small gamble I made on Wachovia (I'm down about 25% of a $500 bet, so no biggie), all of my money is out. The market is so volatile, I'm just watching closely and learning as much as possible, right now.
    That's all you can do. I thought I had a pretty good handle on what was going on, but I'm getting whiplash watching the markets swing. I was on top of the rally Monday but failed to expect this quick of a fall. Didn't lose money, but more thanks to not actually being the market because I've got 200 in my bank account. College...

The credit crisis is slowly unclogging, so I'm not scared of too much more on the downside. I'm sure it'll happen in our freaked out market, but overall I'm feeling a little better about things. Give me another week though and that may change.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

The last time we had swings this large in the markets was during the depression. Scary stuff.