User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We all know about it, but we can't know how big of a scandal it will be until the judgment, October 10th I think. And this election should be very close, I can't see it taking that many percentage points away from McCain, but one or two could be enough.
    Sounds like wishful thinking to me. A really bad VP nominee can hurt a presidential candidate, perhaps even cripple him/her, but this "scandal" is a non-scandal at this point. The fact that people are even trying to call it "Troopergate" smacks of desperation, unless/until something REALLY juicy comes to light. Besides, there are plenty of legitimate concerns about Palin that hammering her about would resonate better with the American public. This brother-in-law thing, her pregnant daughter, the Down Syndrome baby, all of this will make her look more sympathetic. If I were on Obama's team, "tread lightly" would be the motto. Hit them with policy shots and rehearse like madmen for the debates.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think people who add "gate" to every other political scandal think Watergate was about water, they just think it's funny or clever. It's not, but it can be shorthand, if you don't care that it's not funny or clever.

Beyond that, it doesn't seem like it will be that big a deal. It sounds like an unfortunate family situation that Palin brought into the public realm which seems to be a pattern with her, but I wish we could just get the spotlight off of her for two seconds and focus on the actual candidates.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'll admit I only used the term because of it's negative connotation, and of course because it's most succinct way of getting the idea across.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This brother-in-law thing, her pregnant daughter, the Down Syndrome baby, all of this will make her look more sympathetic. If I were on Obama's team, "tread lightly" would be the motto. Hit them with policy shots and rehearse like madmen for the debates.
    I heard that the trooper in question actually tasered a ten-year-old boy. If true, I think that fact alone would make any high-profile Democratic attempts to capitalize on this issue almost as counter-productive as the impeachment of President Clinton was for Republicans.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I heard that the trooper in question actually tasered a ten-year-old boy. If true, I think that fact alone would make any high-profile Democratic attempts to capitalize on this issue almost as counter-productive as the impeachment of President Clinton was for Republicans.
    The Republicans held a majority in Congress and won the Presidency within two years of impeaching Clinton, but I kinda see what you are getting at. It will actually make people sympathize with the politician at the center of the supposed scandal.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think the Dems were frustrated that so much stupid crap was thrown at Obama, so now they are trying to get their revenge by dumping a big load on Palin. This stuff is mostly crap unless it's actually policy related. (i.e. The "bridge to nowhere" is actually policy related, while the teen pregnancy stuff is mostly just juicy gossip.)

I think adding "gate" to everything was started by the Republicans during the Clinton administration, e.g. Lewinskygate. I can't remember if they called the Whitewater stuff "Whitewatergate".
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think the Dems were frustrated that so much stupid crap was thrown at Obama, so now they are trying to get their revenge by dumping a big load on Palin. This stuff is mostly crap unless it's actually policy related. (i.e. The "bridge to nowhere" is actually policy related, while the teen pregnancy stuff is mostly just juicy gossip.)
    It's pure politics. It goes back to the beginning of elections and the media.

I think adding "gate" to everything was started by the Republicans during the Clinton administration, e.g. Lewinskygate. I can't remember if they called the Whitewater stuff "Whitewatergate".
    It's been going on almost since Watergate. France had a "Winegate" the same year Nixon resigned. "Koreagate" during the Carter administration in 1976 was probably the first time it was used in the U.S.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I believe I was Stake Shed Palin.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm Shaver Razorback Palin. Classy!