• I am not European and I am for it

1 4.00%
  • I am not European and I am against it

12 48.00%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I hope one of their goals wont be to overpower anybody, but to create a balance of power. I guess two WW should suffice to point out the necessity for that.

In Germany people complain about the country financing the weaker countries in the EU. I myself think of this as a joint venture, too, cause in the end sovereignity will be equally distributed and hell knows by this time, if countries like Poland, who hates us, will remember their donations.

But I like the idea and I see no better one for a possible future that works.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Free trade throughout EU = good
    One centralized government = bad
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    You know that's why the EU was formed, right? To make it too economically and politically difficult to make a third world war likely.
    If that's the logic behind the EU, then obviously Europe didn't learn anything from WWI. Free trade was widespread throughout Europe(even in higher proportions than today) prior to the war. One could easily cross over from country to country without a passport, and there was plenty of cultural exchange as well. Many at the time thought Europe was finally becoming "one" and united.

And all that came crashing down in the summer of 1914.

The only kind of European Union I support is the one envisioned by Pierre-Joseph Proudhon - a confederation of confederations. Only then could it ever work.

Other than that, it's a pure pipe dream that'll be constantly plagued by competiting regional and national factions.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The only kind of European Union I support is the one envisioned by Pierre-Joseph Proudhon - a confederation of confederations. Only then could it ever work.
    Proudhon the anarchist, I presume? It's an antiquated idea, insignificant in the modern world in my opinion.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Proudhon the anarchist, I presume?
    Later in life, he toned down his earlier views and even referred to himself more as a Federalist than an anarchist.

It's an antiquated idea, insignificant in the modern world in my opinion.
    Modern governments certainly have been characterised by greater centralization. And in many ways that trend continues, with the rise of supranational organizations and governments. But at the same, the trend is also towards greater decentralization - as we saw recently in Spain as one example.

Decentralism is a major element of many aspects of Postmodern political theory.

MBTI
    infp

Why on earth would all the different cultures of Europe want to unite like that? I don't live in Europe, but isn't everyone there super proud that they are _____ and not _____? I.e. that they are english and not french, or italian and not spanish, ect?

It's like... if you were to say that Canada and the US were to be one country I think both countries would give a big "hell no!" to that idea, because we both have different cultures that we cherish, including our uniqueness from eachother, and I would guess that Europe is no different.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Why on earth would all the different cultures of Europe want to unite like that? I don't live in Europe, but isn't everyone there super proud that they are _____ and not _____? I.e. that they are english and not french, or italian and not spanish, ect?

It's like... if you were to say that Canada and the US were to be one country I think both countries would give a big "hell no!" to that idea, because we both have different cultures that we cherish, including our uniqueness from eachother, and I would guess that Europe is no different.
    You are absolutely right. And I like the fun of it, as long as it happens on a moderate level of understanding, what it does.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Sniffles

It seems that many of the thereotical assumptions behind the EU project were somewhat addressed in this thread:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ion-state.html

The same author, Pierre Manent, has written another book concerning issues of self-government, and how without it democracy cannot possibly exist. In regards to the EU, it threatens very much the ability of particular communities, regions, nations to govern themselves in accordance with their own interests at the heart. Rather the EU subordinates such concerns to abstract concepts divorced from such concrete realities.

MBTI
    ENTP

The owl speaks the truth.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    Competition between political sovereignties is important to preserve, because it protects liberty. The would-be despots who skulk in the chambers of power, whether in the US or EU need to be kept in-line. One way is with the niggling thought that their disgruntled subjects, and tax money, might up and leave.
    In other words, brand equity isn't necessarily built through mergers.