User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    And what? You asked a question, so I clarified.
    One does not necessarily lead to the other.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    One does not necessarily lead to the other.
    Heh, now you lost me.

Let's get back on track. Pure_mercury suggested Obama's policies will harm the economy, while you suggest that the president hardly has any effect. Which is true?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Heh, now you lost me.

Let's get back on track. Pure_mercury suggested Obama's policies will harm the economy, while you suggest that the president hardly has any effect. Which is true?
    No, I said the president can't 'cure' the economy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

If the previous president harmed the economy, then the next one can undo the harm by reversing the policies of the previous one.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If the previous president harmed the economy, then the next one can undo the harm by reversing the policies of the previous one.
    If I respond, we're just going to get into a retarded semantic debate.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm just trying to get some clarity on the Libertarian position (not just in this thread, but based on posts in several threads). One post seems to suggest economic gloom and doom from a democratic president, and then another post will say that the president hardly has any effect on the economy. I can't extract a coherent argument from the posts.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm just trying to get some clarity on the Libertarian position (not just in this thread, but based on posts in several threads). One post seems to suggest economic gloom and doom from a democratic president, and then another post will say that the president hardly has any effect on the economy. I can't extract a coherent argument from the posts.
    When someone says 'cure', I picture someone actively doing something. I think more intervention. Neither of these candidates believe in less intervention. Neither one is going to roll things back in (what I believe to be) a positive way. And even if they did, I wouldn't see it as the president curing anything. I'd see it as the president taking his hands off things he shouldn't be touching with in the first place.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Because that is the history, and the fact that it may not be that way now doesn't mean it wasn't in the past, or won't be in the future.
    But they aren't around now, how are neocons from the past relevant to what today's modern liberals favor in policy?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    How many Democrats abdicated their responsibilities and authorized Dubya to invade Iraq? You're buying into partisan bullshit here.
    Abdicated their responsibilities? There was faulty intelligence floating around everywhere, so you can't exactly blame them. What should they have said at the time? "I don't believe it"?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    This is silly. How the hell are you defining power if it can be wrought from two opposite forces.
    1. Corporations gain power through the market (money=power in this society), naturally.
    2. Government can provide subsidies, grants, etc..this helps companies gain power too. But government can also take away corporate power (anti-trust laws, regulation, safety standards, worker's rights).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    1. Corporations gain power through the market (money=power in this society), naturally.
    2. Government can provide subsidies, grants, etc..this helps companies gain power too. But government can also take away corporate power (anti-trust laws, regulation, safety standards, worker's rights).
    You do realize that all of those can be used to increase corporate power, right?