User Tag List

First 17252627

Results 261 to 264 of 264

  1. #261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    The percetage of black people who agree is irrelevent. The ancients often attributed a good harvest as the Gods responding favourably to their animal sacrifices. People are prone to interpret their experiences in a multitude of ways, often contradicting each other, but all consistent with the evidence cited.

    The author I had in mind when writing those remarks was a black academic, the economist Thomas Sowell, who wrote a short and very readable book on the issue called Civil Rights: Rhetoric or Reality.
    It's relevant when the legislation was aimed at bettering THEIR lives. Sorry if I think their opinion matter a bit more than yours.

    I also think you underestimate the difference in someone's life not being forced to drink from a different water fountain because people viewed you as disgusting and sub-human. They weren't even allowed to eat at the same tables, in many places, but you guys are questioning whether it had a positive economic impact on their lives? It's not only ignorant but it's insulting to anyone who had to live through it.

    Trust me, that was the single most important piece of legislation for a black person in the US, outside of emancipation.

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No, I am not ignorant. It's not "fine" to discriminate against anyone because of the race. However, it's far worse to FORCE people to do things than it is to allow people to be ignorant. Like in this situation: you're behaving like a complete tool, but it's better for MBTIc to hear your opinion than it is to silence your voice.
    What's with the bulshit analogy. We have real examples that actually happened and that the legislation was made to prevent.

    We're talking about very specific things- being denied services because you were black. They were marching and protesting because they had to sit in the back of the bus, we're denied restaurants and hotels when they traveled and had to drink from different water fountains because the racist whites could associate with whomever they wanted.

  2. #262
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    It's relevant when the legislation was aimed at bettering THEIR lives. Sorry if I think their opinion matter a bit more than yours.
    That is incidental as to whether it actually did or did not.

    I also think you underestimate the difference in someone's life not being forced to drink from a different water fountain because people viewed you as disgusting and sub-human. They weren't even allowed to eat at the same tables, in many places, but you guys are questioning whether it had a positive economic impact on their lives?
    Again, separate water fountains = direct byproduct of Jim Crow LAWS. Laws, you know, by the government? You keep trying to argue that reason and I are asserting that things discrimination is a good thing, but neither of us have. You're not getting it.


    Trust me, that was the single most important piece of legislation for a black person, outside of emancipation.
    1) Why should we trust you? 2) You're wrong. The 14th Amendment was way more important than the Civil Rights Act, and it (again) concerned itself with what state governments could and could not do. Ending the War on Drugs would also have FAR more positive benefits for black Americans than would any post-WWII civil rights legislation has ever had.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Again, separate water fountains = direct byproduct of Jim Crow LAWS. Laws, you know, by the government? You keep trying to argue that reason and I are asserting that things discrimination is a good thing, but neither of us have. You're not getting it.
    Yeah no shit. And the civil rights act - effectively repealed these former laws with a new law - across all 50 states.
    I don't think you guys are arguing discrimination is a good thing.

    What I think you are now arguing for are these two things:

    (1) the civil rights act was actually detrimental to blacks economically

    and I quote;

    (2) "People have the right not to serve anyone that they don't want to serve, yes. They absolutely have that right."

    I've moved pass the civil rights act and it's relation to Jim Crow. It's obvious to me and I don't care whether you get that anymore.

  4. #264
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Yeah no shit. And the civil rights act - effectively repealed these former laws with a new law - across all 50 states.
    I don't think you guys are arguing discrimination is a good thing.

    What I think you are arguing for are these two things:

    (1) the civil rights act was actually detrimental to blacks economically
    I don't think it can be said for certain that it was detrimental to blacks economically, but I think a very strong case can be made that it was not beneficial, based on the historical flatlining of the increase in standard of living. To be honest, I think the simultaneous Great Society programs had a lot more to do with it. Engineering a huge increase in the number of blacks on public assistance is not a good way to encourage economic development within their community.

    and I quote;

    (2) "People have the right not to serve anyone that they don't want to serve, yes. They absolutely have that right."

    I've moved pass the civil rights act and it's relation to Jim Crow. It's obvious to me and I don't care whether you get that anymore.
    People have that right. The right to associate (or not to associate) freely is a foundational right of Western civilization. If you disagree with this right, you can formulate a critique to it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] entps: what's the worst thing to you of the things you hate ?
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 10:01 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Animals & MBTI (A thread brought to you via 'an attempt to satiate boredom')
    By FantailedWall in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM
  3. [ENTP] entps: what's the worst thing to you of the things you dread ?
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:47 AM
  4. These sensations brought to you by Alcohol
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO